Pre-Game Talk: Predators vs Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
I'm super excited for Nashville vs St. Louis. I was growing tired of the same teams all the time. This could really foster and take this rivalry to the next level.

Completely agree. I really didn't want to play Chicago again! I'm not a huge rivalry guy. The team I hate the most is whichever team we are currently playing.

I love that we are playing Nashville for the first time in the playoffs. Definitely will be fresh and exciting!

And if we move on, we will play Anaheim or Edmonton in the playoffs for the first time ever!

bluesman11

Robert Johnson
Mar 19, 2010
Allen and the overall team defense was pretty darn good, but don't feel like they have a lot of momentum, they'll need to be better, and Allen need to sustain.

Twisted Blue

Feb 4, 2013
St. Louis
I have no idea what to expect from the Blues with this matchup, but if they continue to abandon any momentum after getting a one goal lead in a game then it is going to be painful to watch. At times we absolutely dominated the Wild, outshooting them 14-4 or 10-2 in periods and getting the first goal. Then suddenly playing the old dump and change for the rest of the game. Yeo stated it's not him pulling in on the reins but the players losing intensity. This goes back to the mental toughness of knowing when an opponent is on the ropes and raising your level of play to put the dagger in their hopes of making a comeback.

JoshFromMO

Apr 6, 2015
Missoura
I'm picking up tickets for game 1 tonight. This will be my first playoff game. How different from regular season will it be?

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
How often does a team win a series 4-1 and go into the next round as an underdog to the lower seed. It feels like the Blues never really played their A game, at least not for more than a period here or there. They will need better against Nashville, but they are capable of better. Pretty good feeling heading into this one, that it will be a hard fought series.

If Nashville wins, I hope they go all the way.

Mar 6, 2012
The amount of disdain coming from the national press about the Blues is pretty crazy. When anyone talks about the series with the Wild, the entire narrative is centered around what the Wild did and did not do. It's like the Blues don't even exist.

The Blues have a better record than the Predators, just won a playoff series just like they did, have home ice advantage... and yet, listening to the national media, we're an pathetic 8 seed going up against a juggernaut.

The one thing I've learned in all my years following hockey is that you can't predict crap. This series is going to be a coin toss.

jura

booze & blues
Mar 29, 2012
Zagreb, Croatia
Really glad to see Nashville in the playoffs. For someone in our division, i dont dislike them enough.

4804685-6558260338-image.jpg

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
The amount of disdain coming from the national press about the Blues is pretty crazy. When anyone talks about the series with the Wild, the entire narrative is centered around what the Wild did and did not do. It's like the Blues don't even exist.

The Blues have a better record than the Predators, just won a playoff series just like they did, have home ice advantage... and yet, listening to the national media, we're an pathetic 8 seed going up against a juggernaut.

The one thing I've learned in all my years following hockey is that you can't predict crap. This series is going to be a coin toss.

This. It's crazy, Nashville plays out of their minds against a Blackhawk team that didn't even act like they cared to try until Game 3 and now it's all about them.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I've said Cup only matters, but to some players I view this post-season has been already success even if we're going to lose to Preds. Allen, Edmundson, Barbashev and maybe (Pääjärvi and Parayko) are those guys. So I VIEW there is plenty of room rest of team stepping up.

I still don't put any hopes and zero exceptation for the team, we're underdog and mediocre team. Every win is positive, but I don't lose my night sleeps if we lose.

And Allen have deserved his blessing so lets enjoy the ride while it last.

Lets Go Blues. :bb:

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I'm picking up tickets for game 1 tonight. This will be my first playoff game. How different from regular season will it be?

Regular Season = Shot in the face with a squirt gun.

Playoffs = Shot in the face with a fire hose.

The electricity in the building is something that rarely comes across on TV in a way that does it any justice. Buckle up.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I actually did a bracket this year and correctly picked the Blues and Preds to win the first round. I picked the Blues in this round, so I don't see any reason to change my mind now.

Blues in 6 or 7.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I actually did a bracket this year and correctly picked the Blues and Preds to win the first round. I picked the Blues in this round, so I don't see any reason to change my mind now.

Blues in 6 or 7.
It should be one of these. I'll play it safer, and pick 7, - they'll win it at home.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Tamarind used to scare me when I first found out it could be used as metal polish, but I now vastly prefer it to anything down in Nashville, Memphis, or TN in general.

MO BBQ > TN BBQ

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Nashville in 5-6 is my prediction.

I didn't like the way we played in the first round. We relied way too heavily on Allen and should that remain the same way we'll only go as far as he takes us. Lots of the excuses for the lack of possession is the fact we had a lead most of the time, but only having the puck 40% of the time is inexcusable no matter what lead you have. Allen played ridiculously well, I don't believe he can sustain stopping 95% of the HDSA he faces. Our xGF% is also the worst of any team in round 1.

Hopefully we play much better and hopefully Allen can stay hot. But regardless of how Allen plays, we need to have the puck more.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Nashville in 5-6 is my prediction.

I didn't like the way we played in the first round. We relied way too heavily on Allen and should that remain the same way we'll only go as far as he takes us. Lots of the excuses for the lack of possession is the fact we had a lead most of the time, but only having the puck 40% of the time is inexcusable no matter what lead you have. Allen played ridiculously well, I don't believe he can sustain stopping 95% of the HDSA he faces. Our xGF% is also the worst of any team in round 1.

Hopefully we play much better and hopefully Allen can stay hot. But regardless of how Allen plays, we need to have the puck more.

A big part of that was due to only winning barely 40% of the faceoffs. With Stastny back, and having him and Sobotka (knowing better what faceoff tricks are now allowed in The NHL), The Blues should automatically get much closer to 50%. In addition, The Preds aren't as good at faceoffs as Minnesota. Beyond that, The Preds have less forward speed than The Wild, and their forwards are smaller, so their forecheck will bother The Blues much less. I look for possession to be near 50%. Let's hope that happens.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Yeah I'm kinda surprised at the narrative being pushed that the Blues are gonna get dispatched in no time at all. I think it will be a close series that could go either way. The Preds looked good, but I also think the Blues match up better, and will, ya know, play hockey against them unlike the Hawks. Having Stastny back is huge. He was great in game 5.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Well game two of Preds hawks in the books. Didn't watch this game as closely admittedly. It wasn't a close one with a 5-0 score line.

I don't know who said the Preds dominated the hawks. Or that they just handed them their ass. But that's the impression I've gotten as an outsider. That Nashville just ran the hawks into the dirt. I found this to be quite the contrary actually. The hawks once again dominated possession. However scoring chances likely about equal. 90% of Nashvilles chances were on fast breaks. Their goals were all on counter attacks. Never from sustained possession.

The hawks screwed the pooch on this one. They blew defensive assignments left and right. Crawford was atrocious. Hawks team defense was abysmal. Beginning to feel like the predators didn't win this as much as the hawks handed to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad