Poll : Silayev vs Dickinson vs Buium

Who's the most valuable LD of the 2024 Draft down the road?

• Anton Silayev

Votes: 51 24.3%
  • Sam Dickinson

Votes: 47 22.4%
  • Zeev Buium

Votes: 112 53.3%

• Total voters

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
MacKinnon, Barkov, Jones, Lindholm, Monahan, Nurse, Horvat, Nichushkin, Morrissey, Pulock, Theodore, Jarry, Lehkonen, Bertuzzi, Pesce, Buchnevich, Guentzel, Verhaeghe, Bjorkstrand, Saros, Paul, Copp, Weegar

Went through the 2013 draft and those are the 23 names I had above him, so no. But the 2013 draft was amazing. Most drafts are like half as good. Cut that number in half and we’re talking about 11.5 better. If you told me I could get Zadorov at 10 with some upside to be better I think the percentage play is to take it.
Fair enough.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
1. Buium
2. Dickinson
3. Yakemchuk
4. Levshunov
5. Silayev
6. Parekh

It was the MHL playoffs that were a bit worrying. Granted, he was likely pretty worn out. Them again, I’m not so sure it’s a given Silayev could’ve performed so well as Buium in the NCAA tournament. That’s high level hockey without many teenagers.
Not being facetious and I am really interested in your thoughts as to why you ranked them the way you did. Is it based on NHL ceiling? Your expectation on how they end up in the NHL? Something else? Would love to know.

Thanks.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Not being facetious and I am really interested in your thoughts as to why you ranked them the way you did. Is it based on NHL ceiling? Your expectation on how they end up in the NHL? Something else? Would love to know.

Thanks.
I ranked them in terms of who I think will end up being the most valuable NHL player.

I’m not a scout, just a fan. I’ve watched every draft since 1996 and started following the draft closely around 2001. I watch a lot of junior hockey (I’ve seen a dozen or two dozen games each this season for each of the CHL kids in my rankings, and watched all of Silayev’s MHL playoffs last season, some this season and some KHL, as well as a few regular season games of Levshunov and his tournament games, and a handful regular season games of Buium, his tournament games and his WJC). So I’ve watched a lot of their games. But I’m just a beer leaguer who coaches house league youth teams. Not an expert. Just a fan. I really don’t know much.

It seems like you were asking about the process by which I ranked them rather than my opinions on the players themselves. Hopefully that answered your question.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I ranked them in terms of who I think will end up being the most valuable NHL player.

I’m not a scout, just a fan. I’ve watched every draft since 1996 and started following the draft closely around 2001. I watch a lot of junior hockey (I’ve seen a dozen or two dozen games each this season for each of the CHL kids in my rankings, and watched all of Silayev’s MHL playoffs last season, some this season and some KHL, as well as a few regular season games of Levshunov and his tournament games, and a handful regular season games of Buium, his tournament games and his WJC). So I’ve watched a lot of their games. But I’m just a beer leaguer who coaches house league youth teams. Not an expert. Just a fan. I really don’t know much.

It seems like you were asking about the process by which I ranked them rather than my opinions on the players themselves. Hopefully that answered your question.

I'd be curious your take on Dickinson vs Yakemchuk.

We've been discussing them on the Kraken board - Yak is my guy and Dickinson is the guy we tend to think Ron Francis will prefer. And yes Dickinson is going to be really good too. But I don't think he has high offensive upside. He has great tools to exploit scoring opportunities but he doesn't have deception or delay tools to create opportunities, if you know what I mean. So probably not a PPQB. And of course Yakemchuk is a creator and has that top PPQB upside.

And I think both can be great in their own zone, I'm very cautious about Yakemchuk's pivots to back skating, that might be a long run issue for him.

So is it the case that you like Yakemchuk's upside more but prefer Dickinson for safety? Or do you think Dickinson has high upside as well?

I will add that I think Yakemchuk feels like a strong choice for Utah. We know Bill Armstrong will love his strength, he's stronger than Dickinson and a lot of these other big guys, he's the one guy I saw manhandle Cayden Lindstrom. And you also need a PPQB.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

Thank you for the thoughtful response. And yes, you definitely answered my question.

Reactions: Yemeth and rt

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Myers won the Calder.
Silayev won't come close to his points totals ever.

I look at Silayev as 6'7 version of Gavrikov. Someone you can put next to a offensive minded guy and never have to worry about him getting caught up ice because Silayev will make sure he's covered. Super solid defensive play with some physicality. If we're lucky he'll work on his ability to make a good initial breakout pass and he can just be a super solid/reliable two way guy.

Reactions: KickHisAssZegrass

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Silayev won't come close to his points totals ever.

I look at Silayev as 6'7 version of Gavrikov. Someone you can put next to a offensive minded guy and never have to worry about him getting caught up ice because Silayev will make sure he's covered. Super solid defensive play with some physicality. If we're lucky he'll work on his ability to make a good initial breakout pass and he can just be a super solid/reliable two way guy.
You may well be right but it is frustrating that there are people like yourself who look at Silayev playing at 17 in a top men's league and don't think there will be any improvement or growth in his game. Meanwhile, we hear that the other top D in this draft will get bigger, faster, develop more IQ, get better offensively or defensively, etc. But Silayev will be no more than he currently is. I think that is selling him short...IMO if he had played NA junior hockey this year he'd be talked about as potentially being the 2nd best prospect in the draft.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
IMO if he had played NA junior hockey this year he'd be talked about as potentially being the 2nd best prospect in the draft.

On the contrary, Silayev holding his own in the KHL is his chief selling point.

He was not considered a top prospect, maybe not even a first rounder, until he opened the year in the KHL. And he was so lackluster in the MHL playoffs this Spring, that if he played the whole year that way in the MHL or CHL, he wouldn't be in the top half of the first discussion.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
On the contrary, Silayev holding his own in the KHL is his chief selling point.

He was not considered a top prospect, maybe not even a first rounder, until he opened the year in the KHL. And he was so lackluster in the MHL playoffs this Spring, that if he played the whole year that way in the MHL or CHL, he wouldn't be in the top half of the first discussion.
Didn’t I read somewhere that Larionov said he was the player in the KHL playoffs?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Didn’t I read somewhere that Larionov said he was the player in the KHL playoffs?

Best D for Nizhny in that series, I think I heard him say. Which makes sense, none of the other ones appeared to have a good playoffs.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Silayev is on my do not draft high list. I think he ends up as another Zadorov
What is high? Is Zadorov even that bad an outcome? He's a Number 3 Defenseman on a team in the 2nd round. I glanced at the players that were selected near him in the Draft he was in and he seems like a good pick.

Bond

May 10, 2012
What is high? Is Zadorov even that bad an outcome? He's a Number 3 Defenseman on a team in the 2nd round. I glanced at the players that were selected near him in the Draft he was in and he seems like a good pick.
Zadarov is more of a #4/5. I think the other dmen actually have a shot at being top pairing dman though. I am pretty biased against taking huge players though, it feels like they always go higher than they should. Would Silayev be getting attention as a top pick if he was 6'3?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Zadarov is more of a #4/5. I think the other dmen actually have a shot at being top pairing dman though. I am pretty biased against taking huge players though, it feels like they always go higher than they should. Would Silayev be getting attention as a top pick if he was 6'3?
Big and mobile combo of DMen are basically all the rage in the current NHL.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'd be curious your take on Dickinson vs Yakemchuk.

We've been discussing them on the Kraken board - Yak is my guy and Dickinson is the guy we tend to think Ron Francis will prefer. And yes Dickinson is going to be really good too. But I don't think he has high offensive upside. He has great tools to exploit scoring opportunities but he doesn't have deception or delay tools to create opportunities, if you know what I mean. So probably not a PPQB. And of course Yakemchuk is a creator and has that top PPQB upside.

And I think both can be great in their own zone, I'm very cautious about Yakemchuk's pivots to back skating, that might be a long run issue for him.

So is it the case that you like Yakemchuk's upside more but prefer Dickinson for safety? Or do you think Dickinson has high upside as well?

I will add that I think Yakemchuk feels like a strong choice for Utah. We know Bill Armstrong will love his strength, he's stronger than Dickinson and a lot of these other big guys, he's the one guy I saw manhandle Cayden Lindstrom. And you also need a PPQB.
I like both a lot. I have Dickinson 4th overall and Yakemchuk 6th overall.

Yakemchuk is my favorite prospect in this draft. He’s so much fun. I’d be thrilled if Utah picked him. I love the kid. He’s like a blueline version of Corey Perry. Love the dangles, the shot, the outlet passing, the meanstreak, the whole package. Huge fan.

I’ve got more concerns with Yakemchuk than I do with Dickinson. I think Yakemchuk has a bit more to overcome. Keep in mind, I have them ranked VERY close. So these are not deal breakers or anything. There’s not much daylight. This is just why I have Yakemchuk later. It comes down to the skating.

He’s had an extra development year. He’s been in the WHL a long time. He’s AHL eligible after next season. He’s a big, strong, talented athletic kid. He’s a high profile player and has been for years. He carries his WHL team on his back. And despite all this, despite the extra time in the league, the natural gifts, the high profile, and the big role, he’s not fixed his ugly skating yet. So my question is when will that happen? Apparently not in Calgary. So when? In the AHL? That’s a little risky.

So that’s basically it. My one apprehension. Dickinson is also great. Both are A+ prospects. But I give Dickinson the slight edge because I’m worried about one less thing with him. He’s basically pro ready apart from a little overall maturation and he’s playing in elite program. He’ll get what he needs and he doesn’t need much.

So I’m basically just a little more sold on the development track for Dickinson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad