Pokemon Thread #25 - A new Tera

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
If that is true, that is a powerfully stupid policy shift.

I'll take the most useless Pokemon I've ever caught being in the game over stupid f***ing gimmicks like Dynamaxing.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I don't understand why gamefreak is so obsessed with these alternate versions of pokemon and special moves and whatnot.

My favourite days of competitive battling were gen 5 and especially gen 4 where it was way more straightforward.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Same for me. Gen 5 was a little bit too heavy in terms of the dominance of weather based teams (especially Rain Dance squads) but gen 6 became a gong show when already strong pokemon like Garchomp and Salamence got mega forms and essentially ran unchecked in the actual online battle function in X/Y. Especially where if you only like to play single battle.

Now all the garbage like Megas, Z moves or whatever the **** it was totally ruins the experience.

The most annoying part of it all is this game will still sell, so it doesn't mean squat if people are angry about it.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Same for me. Gen 5 was a little bit too heavy in terms of the dominance of weather based teams (especially Rain Dance squads) but gen 6 became a gong show when already strong pokemon like Garchomp and Salamence got mega forms and essentially ran unchecked in the actual online battle function in X/Y. Especially where if you only like to play single battle.

Now all the garbage like Megas, Z moves or whatever the **** it was totally ruins the experience.

The most annoying part of it all is this game will still sell, so it doesn't mean squat if people are angry about it.
You'll be happy to know that those aren't in this game.

And it really only seems like a vocal minority.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
The problem is that people will complain if they don't change the mechanics, saying that they are just like Call of Duty, no updates just a new game every year. But then when they do introduce a new mechanic that greatly changes the way the game is played, other people complain that they should focus on their core game play and not change things so much. They really can't win in that regard.

I do agree that the Pokedex should never be limited by them trying to introduce new mechanics such as dynamax, but I don't understand complaining about the mechanic itself. We don't even have access to it yet or fully understand what impact it will have on the competitive meta. I prefer to keep an open mind in at least that regard.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The problem is that people will complain if they don't change the mechanics, saying that they are just like Call of Duty, no updates just a new game every year. But then when they do introduce a new mechanic that greatly changes the way the game is played, other people complain that they should focus on their core game play and not change things so much. They really can't win in that regard.

I do agree that the Pokedex should never be limited by them trying to introduce new mechanics such as dynamax, but I don't understand complaining about the mechanic itself. We don't even have access to it yet or fully understand what impact it will have on the competitive meta. I prefer to keep an open mind in at least that regard.
People complained about Mega Evolutions and Z-Moves when they were prominent and now they complain when they're gone.

I think what GF is trying to do is make more Pokémon viable. In Gen VI if a Pokémon didn't have a mega evolution there was a good chance it was completely forgotten about.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I wish that, instead of introducing a new mechanic and then turfing it three years later every time we get a new generation, they would actually expand on the mechanics they've already added. We still don't really know anything about Megas, and XY did a pretty terrible job of explaining it, not to mention we never got the fabled Z version which I suspect was supposed to flesh that out more (not to mention Zygarde, which felt shoehorned into gen 7 as a result). Then SUMO came along and we got Z moves... same thing. Even when we did get second versions of those games, they chose to expand on Necrozma rather than Z moves.

Now we get Dynamax and it's just like... it's not that I actively dislike the mechanic (how can I? I barely know anything about it), it's that even if I end up loving it, they're just gonna trash it in gen 9. What's the point of getting attached to anything anymore? Megas, gone. Z moves, gone. Even the one thing in this franchise that it felt okay to get attached to (the pokemon themselves), they're making it so you can't even use some of them in every game going forward. I just can't comprehend it.

I hear you on this, but the two aren't mutually exclusive. They could do both. It seems like they don't care enough to though.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
To me the mega, zmove and Dynamax feel like a Call of Duty release. Like calling in an airstrike or whatever - the perk system. It changes frequently but it's essentially the same thing and not a change of Core gameplay.

Pokemon is struggling with what to do to spice up turn based combat in a world where interactive combat is much more popular. Throwing out quirks to the turn based system isn't a major overhaul in my opinion. Turn based is extremely one dimensional and that's fine. I mean loads of people play Civilization for example. But to me Pokemon looks like they are looking for something to spice up turned based combat and there isn't anything that will do that.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
I wish that, instead of introducing a new mechanic and then turfing it three years later every time we get a new generation, they would actually expand on the mechanics they've already added. We still don't really know anything about Megas, and XY did a pretty terrible job of explaining it, not to mention we never got the fabled Z version which I suspect was supposed to flesh that out more (not to mention Zygarde, which felt shoehorned into gen 7 as a result). Then SUMO came along and we got Z moves... same thing. Even when we did get second versions of those games, they chose to expand on Necrozma rather than Z moves.

Now we get Dynamax and it's just like... it's not that I actively dislike the mechanic (how can I? I barely know anything about it), it's that even if I end up loving it, they're just gonna trash it in gen 9. What's the point of getting attached to anything anymore? Megas, gone. Z moves, gone. Even the one thing in this franchise that it felt okay to get attached to (the pokemon themselves), they're making it so you can't even use some of them in every game going forward. I just can't comprehend it.

I hear you on this, but the two aren't mutually exclusive. They could do both. It seems like they don't care enough to though.
I agree with that. I wish they would just expand on mega evolution rather than introduce something new, which seems less interesting. But it is also apparent that some people do consider those types of changes to be a major change to core mechanics, or too much of a departure from what they are used to. I really don't think it is fair to say that they don't care enough. If they didn't, they wouldn't make the changes that they have. People do the same with every game franchise. Demand change, and then complain about the change when it is delivered while others call it lazy because they don't think it was a big enough change.

I personally don't care much about any of it other than the new Pokemon. I thought mega evolution was fun, but it isn't why I enjoyed gen 6. I though Z moves were boring, but that also isn't why I dislike gen 7. It is all about the new Pokemon and my personal subjective thoughts on how cool they are.

Reactions: Commander Clueless
May 27, 2012
Earth
I really liked Mega evolutions. They should have just kept going with that. But for some reason they ditched it. Gen 6 was one of the better Gens imo. X and Y are peak Pokemon.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I really liked Mega evolutions. They should have just kept going with that. But for some reason they ditched it. Gen 6 was one of the better Gens imo. X and Y are peak Pokemon.

They didn’t like how it limited teams. Dynamaxing can be done by any Pokémon. And it’s limited so the idea is you will need to be smart about it.

I bet all my money the National dex will be patched in in 6 months. I hope it isn’t though. At some point they needed to force a clean slate and push players to cut the chord if they ever wanted to start pushing the franchise forward.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Just read that they’re scrapping the National Dex completely. Regional dex only. So expect 400-500 Pokemon total. Sounds like this will be the norm with each new instalment as well if what I’m reading is true.

That is HIGHLY disappointing.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Just read that they’re scrapping the National Dex completely. Regional dex only. So expect 400-500 Pokemon total. Sounds like this will be the norm with each new instalment as well if what I’m reading is true.

That is HIGHLY disappointing.

I guess what I don't understand is why they can't say "we have another game lined up - a remake of whatever Gen and we will have the rest of the Pokemon modeled and we will run a patch for Pokemon Sword and Shield".

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Has anyone here heard of Temtem? Cause it's f***ing amazing and Pokemon may have to pick up there game because of it.

It's currently in alpha (you can purchase early on PC to access alpha) with much more to come. It will be on pretty much every console at launch and crossplay is their goal (Sony is being a pain).

The plan is currently sitting at 161+ temtems for launch, but it could be more. It's also an MMO, so they are planning to continue to develop after release.

Endgame will see something like Battle Frontier and also a ranked competitive mode where there will be a pick/ban sequence before the match. They also state it will be far less RNG than Pokemon with battles being won through tactics and strategies.

The devs did a huge AMA here;

And here's the trailer;

Ps. It's not the friendly rival. Your rival is a jerk..... and you can be too if you want!

If this was already discussed I apologize. But I just found it yesterday and can't put it down.

Last edited:

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
How is it allowed to be published? It's inspired by yeah but it looks like a ripoff for major portions. I mean I'll probably get it because it looks awesome but I can't believe they were allowed to develop and get to this point without being threatened by Nintendo and Pokemon.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
How is it allowed to be published? It's inspired by yeah but it looks like a ripoff for major portions. I mean I'll probably get it because it looks awesome but I can't believe they were allowed to develop and get to this point without being threatened by Nintendo and Pokemon.
No assets have been taken. The only word they have that's the same is evolution but Nintendo can't copyright that.

I could see Nintendo wanting to sue but I'm not sure what they could sue for after the whole Battle Royale debacle. Those were all ruled to be fine so that kind of makes this impossible to fight.

The ranked competitive looks so cool. You bring 10 temtems and you draft to get 4. But your opponent gets to ban one of your 10 before each pick. The strategy from that alone is just fantastic.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005

Kind of a stupid message. It's just gonna get shit on. And it should. He just regurgitated what's already been said but tried to garner sympathy.

You can't do what they've done the last two games and given us half games. You've given us a tradition. Every Pokemon has ALWAYS been part of it. Stopping that is crazy. There's more Pokemon on last generation games. If they're not all animated, take another year if development.

Plus all the gimmicks are awful.

Temtem for the win

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
That's so tonedeaf it's hilarious.

Basically says those pokemon cut from it aren't coming back as a post launch update like people were desperately clinging on to.

That's 90 bucks saved for me then.

Reactions: Natey

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
That's so tonedeaf it's hilarious.

Basically says those pokemon cut from it aren't coming back as a post launch update like people were desperately clinging on to.

That's 90 bucks saved for me then.
I preordered for $65 during e3 just in-case. But I'll be returning it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad