Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread: 2023-2024 Edition

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I really don't think size is his major hurdle. It would just make things easier for him re: moving from juniors to NHL at the center position.

Reactions: Andy99

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
It’s not just height. EP has him listed at 170. We’ll see how he fills out.
Yeah I would just assume he fills out, unless he has some kind of disease preventing it.

I think he was already 175-ish at camp, so 185-190 by 21? Seems realistic.

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
Do the WHL teams have a training table and S&C coaches? Yager needs to be adding good weight and should be doing the necessary weight gain under the supervision of the Moose Jaw and Penguins S & C personnel. If he's not getting that....shame on us.

steelcityassault

Sep 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Do the WHL teams have a training table and S&C coaches? Yager needs to be adding good weight and should be doing the necessary weight gain under the supervision of the Moose Jaw and Penguins S & C personnel. If he's not getting that....shame on us.
I believe NCAA has better lifting regiment and specific trainers compared to juniors. But isn't he going to WBS? They have them lift after games sometimes there even

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Sorry

May 18, 2005
There it is folks. He has spoken.

I wanna hear the logic/argument behind Yager being a winger in the NHL. When ya know he was drafted as a center to play center because he projects better as a center…
Guentzel was drafted as a center. Yagers game, from what I have seen, definitely translates better to wing than center at the NHL level. Finds open space well, loves to shoot with his body open to the net, and has a wicked release. His foot speed seems limited to be able to play the full rink. Size doesn't matter at center in the current NHL the way it used to but being able to cover the 200ft is crucial. He is a decent skater, but not NHL center level. Also, considering his release is by far the best attribute in his game, why limit that with center responsibilities? Put that shot, which is probably the best wrist release the Pens have drafted since Milan Kraft compared to modern standards, in a position to succeed.

We will draft actual centers in the coming years.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Apparently it is as incredibly easy to gain weight as it is to be a blue chip prospect.
Actually there's an Athletic article that's says Yager was eating 6 meals per day under the direction of a nutritionist. Initially gained 6 pounds, but once Moose Jaw camp started, lost a good bit of it.:m-shocked:

Last edited:
Reactions: Gurglesons

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
This is too funny, only pens fans would try to diminish their best prospect grasping for straws talking about his weight, position, etc. He’s 19yo! Saying that he is going to forever be 175lbs is idiotic. The center vs wing is so ridiculous as well. Everything about his game SCREAMS center ice. Some you guys really just like to bitch and complain about anything.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
This is too funny, only pens fans would try to diminish their best prospect grasping for straws talking about his weight, position, etc. He’s 19yo! Saying that he is going to forever be 175lbs is idiotic. The center vs wing is so ridiculous as well. Everything about his game SCREAMS center ice. Some you guys really just like to bitch and complain about anything.
I'm certainly not belittling him. I'm excited that he's Crosby-esque in that if he feels he has a weakness in his game, he's going to kick that weaknesses' ass. We don't know what his game is yet because it's ever evolving. At the very least, he certainly should be a bonfide NHLer with that wicked, beautiful shot.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Great contribution to the discussion, Kappy!

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Lady Byng winner Yager in POs mode becomes Evil Mirror, Mirror Yager.
1715826931382.png

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Yager will add size and strength to his frame over the next couple of years. He is 19. He probably sees the 9 games next year before going back to Juniors. But I still see one year back in Juniors and then he does need some seasoning in the AHL before being a Pens center. The timing also fits the need for centers as Eller is gone and not sure Geno is there in 2 years. If his game declines, he may just not want to go through another season where he is simply not playing up to his standards. But Dubas at least with Yager, Ponomarev and Poulin and Broz plus whoever they draft or sign is addressing the need for NHL caliber centers.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Yager will add size and strength to his frame over the next couple of years. He is 19. He probably sees the 9 games next year before going back to Juniors. But I still see one year back in Juniors and then he does need some seasoning in the AHL before being a Pens center. The timing also fits the need for centers as Eller is gone and not sure Geno is there in 2 years. If his game declines, he may just not want to go through another season where he is simply not playing up to his standards. But Dubas at least with Yager, Ponomarev and Poulin and Broz plus whoever they draft or sign is addressing the need for NHL caliber centers.
Extreme example, but Gretzky was a runt, just sayin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad