Philly:
Giroux
Simmonds

Montreal:
Galchenyuk
Gallagher
Sergachev
1st

Philly drafts Hischier to replace Giroux (long-term), gets quality wingers to replace Simmonds. The new team core will make Philly a contender in 2-3 years.

Montreal gets a real chance to win while they still have Pacioretty, Price and Weber at their prime.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Sergachev would mean more to a lot of other teams. Another young, LHD is not what we need.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Philly:
Giroux
Simmonds

Montreal:
Galchenyuk
Gallagher
Sergachev
1st

Philly drafts Hischier to replace Giroux (long-term), gets quality wingers to replace Simmonds. The new team core will make Philly a contender in 2-3 years.

Montreal gets a real chance to win while they still have Pacioretty, Price and Weber at their prime.

As a Habs fan I would also say HELL NO. Simmonds and Giroux are getting older. Sergachev and Galchenyuk have their whole careers ahead of them. No thank you.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Nay. Doesn't really make a lot of sense. You get a worse version of both forwards, a defensive prospect, and a first round pick in the 20s.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Nay. Doesn't really make a lot of sense. You get a worse version of both forwards, a defensive prospect, and a first round pick in the 20s.
Yeah, it's basically quantity for quality. They exact type of trade we shouldn't do right now.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Yeah, it's basically quantity for quality. They exact type of trade we shouldn't do right now.

I see it as youth versus veterans. Galchenyuk could still be a star. I wouldn't trade him for Giroux who is on the decline and is not as effective in the faster NHL. Simmonds is good, but for how much longer?

Sergachev may be a number one dman for years to come.

I don't think Giroux and Simmonds put us over the top now, so no point in sacrificing the future for the present. Besides, I think Galchenyuk will surprise a lot of people over the next two years. He scored 30 last year and was top 10 in the league before his knee injury this year.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I see it as youth versus veterans. Galchenyuk could still be a star. I wouldn't trade him for Giroux who is on the decline and is not as effective in the faster NHL. Simmonds is good, but for how much longer?

Sergachev may be a number one dman for years to come.

I don't think Giroux and Simmonds put us over the top now, so no point in sacrificing the future for the present. Besides, I think Galchenyuk will surprise a lot of people over the next two years. He scored 30 last year and was top 10 in the league before his knee injury this year.
Oh absolutely. There's definitely the possibility Galchenyuk will be as good as Giroux or even better. But I don't think it's worth the risk for us.
Also I agree that Montreal shouldn't sacrifice their future for Giroux and Simmonds.
It's not a good trade for either team.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
So Montreal gets the best 2 players in the trade and we get a redundant prospect?

Nah we good.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I think the trade is slightly fairer than everyone else is saying, but it's not a good deal for us. Downgrading the immediate quality of our team by doing it.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
This deal would REALLY set up the Flyers forwards age to be more in line with the D.

Chucky 23 vs Giroux 29
Gally 25 vs Simmonds 29 in August

And with adding Serg, that's an extra D so we could always move one for a forward if we wish.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
It's still too risky. There's no guarantee Galchenyuk will ever be as good as Giroux. And Gallagher will never be as good as Simmonds.

Glen Metropolit

Dec 8, 2016
This deal would REALLY set up the Flyers forwards age to be more in line with the D.

Chucky 23 vs Giroux 29

And with adding Serg, that's an extra D so we could always move one for a forward if we wish.

Bingo!

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002

Chucky 23 vs Giroux 29

Montreal would never offer that, but I'd take it. Having Gallagher and Konecny on one line would drive the other teams crazy!

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Philly:
Giroux
Simmonds

Montreal:
Galchenyuk
Gallagher
Sergachev
1st

You can't be serious. You want anything else? A couple of defensemen? A few picks? Some money? Jesus wept.

EDIT: It's probably not as insane as I first thought - I'm just in a mood :laugh:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
If Galchenyuk didnt fail as a Center, id perceive this deal differently.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
It's a toughie. Yes, Sergachev is redundant to the deep LHD prospect pool of the Flyers, and Galchenyuk needs to put it together in a big way to match Giroux. But it isn't only younger forwards with big upside, but also a huge D option to trade away for a forward, a 1st, and $5.4 million in additional cap space, at least until the Flyers resign Galchenyuk.

I'm curious, for those who have seen these players, where Sergachev would fit in the D prospect hierarchy. I'd think Sanheim, Myers, Sergachev, Morin, Hagg.

The reason I would ultimately say no is the huge impact I would anticipate of removing arguably the two team leaders. Trade one and it rocks the team but is worthwhile for the long term. Both would be a complete capitulation of next season and a chasm of leadership on and off the ice.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
Giroux is the only source of identity this team has. If this trade is even close on the ice, the damage it does to the dressing room and the organization as a whole makes it far from worth considering otherwise. This offer makes no sense at all, it's not EA sports.

Last edited:

Frickley

why am i watching this
Apr 29, 2017
Pittsburgh
Honestly there's not much wrong with the value, it's just that, as others have said, Sergachev is both highly valuable and redundant. Galchenyuk would have to be a center to make it work.

There is value in moving G's contract as well. After much deliberation, I'd say no in the end. Solid proposal, though.

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
Giroux is the only source of identity this team has. If this trade is even close on the ice, the damage it does to the dressing room and the organization as a whole makes it far from worth considering otherwise. This offer makes no sense at all, it's not EA sports.

So the team's identity is slowish, small and ineffective at even strength? Only wins if it scores on the PP?

Great. I used to love Giroux but now he's just meh to me.... If they can unload his contract on someone, they should.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
So if we get Hischier and he ends up being better on the wing, like Galchenyuk is, that means our center depth goes from a strength to a weakness.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
So the team's identity is slowish, small and ineffective at even strength? Only wins if it scores on the PP?

Great. I used to love Giroux but now he's just meh to me.... If they can unload his contract on someone, they should.

Giroux and Voracek will likely be overpaid for the production they bring toward the end of their contracts but championship teams have veterans. If they weren't here, Hextall would likely add some via free agency. It would be better just to keep them.

I would be fine with Sergachev and a 1st for just Simmonds (would actually want at least 2018 2nd rd pick from Montreal thrown in as well). Sergachev might seem redundant but defense prospects are high valued currency. Just right now in the league Drouin, Landeskog, and Duchene are reportedly available for a top notch young defenseman. Toronto will also likely have to sell one of its top 3 for defense help in the future. A team can never have too many.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad