Confirmed with Link: Pettersson Signs 8 Year Deal with the Vancouver Canucks, AAV $11.6M

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I am in the "Petey is injured camp". I don't think it's his hands though. He doesn't have that much power in his stride when he takes them. He kind of keeps going when he's already travelling in a straight line and can't change directions quickly. He's weak on the puck again, which he wasn't during his hot streak. It's similar to Boeser except Boeser started the season like that and ended it like that. Also Boeser was doing this when the team was a turd, I don't think either he or Petey would basically be malingering in the playoffs. A core injury could do all that, including the decreased shot strength. Or a bad back as someone earlier suggested.

We're all speculating but Tocchet saying that EP is healthy and most of the reporters telling them that sources tell them EP is injured...I believe the reporters. Did we all forget the infamous "lower body injury" fad that went around the NHL? To me it's semantics where the doctors are like "oh he can't hurt it any more" or "he should be ok by now" so Tocchet takes their word for it. Also the insiders don't need to lie, what are they going to get a cut off of another contract for EP?

I personally think he should have shut his f***ing mouth because "we don't lie" is basically untrue given his past personal history. More importantly, if it inevitably comes out that Petey and a bunch of other guys were playing injured it makes him seem like a baby. Why couldn't he have just avoided the question?

Honestly Tocchet is shitting the bed in terms of coaching and this just adds to his mistakes this off-season. Like forget Petey, he has no ability to adjust lines and icetime to how guys are actually playing. In many ways this is not so dissimilar to the old WilleD 1-2-3-4, except with line composition. Like he couldn't even drop a forward deep to take pressure off of Hughes getting hammered by Nashville forechecking. This is basic shit. Like if we had shortened our bench after the last goal, we had an amazing chance to win the game. It's annoying to me that Tocchet is doing this whole "calling out thing" when it's obvious he doesn't currently have the self-awareness to see that his "steady eddie" approach is barely working and could fall apart completely.
Wow? Can't believe how divided EP40 has turned this fanbase.

Do you want your coach to provide a bunch of excuses and exclusivity to certain players by saying "yes he's playing through something" "cant say exactly but Petey's hurting"? Since when has that ever been a thing for coaches to do in the media

What does that say to everyone else who's playing through something or hurting? And of course that narrative is relying on the fact that he's actually hurt.....like for 2 months now without even resting him at the end of the season when he could have?

What ice times is he struggling with? Wasn't Lindholm and Miller out together on a "shortened bench" last game when Bouchard scored?

"not dropping a winger" to stand beside the Norris winner to help him with body contact? Not sure what your even talking about here....insulating Hughes....really? What does that even look like and where does your C go and what about the zone clear stretch pass do you just abandon that altogether so Joshua can protect Hughes......i'm confused by what you're talking about?

We are in the quarter finals coming home 2-2 without a goal from Hughes Hronek No Demko and 1 from Pettersson and you are comparing Tocchet to 1-2-3-4 Willie???

C'mon man this really reaching here and villainizing Tocchet for no reason. Could he stand to make some adjustments sure but will they all work and do we even have the horses to pull it off when 4 of our best players if you include Hronek continue to provide so little.

I'm not sure why posters keep wanting to provide so many excuses for the players. Tocchet was spot on saying players were in pause mode i thought the exact same while i watched and the people who i was with who mostly played fairly high level hockey were saying the same. "We're not getting stuck in" and our "forecheck isn't good enough" Lafferty Mikhayev Suter Pettersson Hronek Karlsson all had too many moments of watching/pausing vs being assertive

i'm not saying Pettersson should be getting ripped either (when he's trying his hardest) playoffs are tough and he was obviously sick and was one of our best in the 3rd.

So many can't even get to this point and there are a few reasons why his stats are getting skewered with his wingers. This is not about Coach vs player...you're letting emotions get the best of you

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
To be fair he’s stuck with an absolute anchor in Mikheyev, can Pettersson play better? Yes, does Pettersson need different wingers? Yes. Mikheyev has the lowest per 60 scoring out of all active top 9 forwards in the NHL. Mikheyev has 1 goal in his last 60 games while playing in our top 6 lol even defensive defenceman produce more offence than this useless passenger. He skates around and accomplishes nothing. He’s simply coasting and isn’t generating anything.

Reactions: rypper

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
it’s a problem when your assumption of what is compete is completely based on style which boils down to the idea of a player looking busy. All the talk about him not competing hard and he needs to compete harder to get open. Like seriously is that actually the problem right now? When we watch the game, how often do we feel, damn if only Petey was open his wingers would’ve hit him with an assist. That happens like zero times in the last god knows how many games.
That’s the thing, his wingers are so f***ing ass right now there is no sustain pressure at all when the line is on. I don’t even know what the so call compete is going to solve? Is he going to win the battles for Mik and whoever? The only thing he can do right now really is just play hero puck and don’t even try to use his wingers because they are literally useless. Maybe what you guys want is for him to be more like McD where he holds onto the puck and just skate skate skate and pull everyone away and create chance like that.

Lindholm played injured for us and they didn’t say shit until he couldn’t play. f*** they played Mik for half a season with a torn ACL and denied he was injured until they decided to sit him. Remember how Servalli was the only one who reported on it and the Canucks said what are you talking about. This team has a history of pretending injury is not a thing until they decide it is a thing.

Again, I virtually never am left with the feeling that Pettersson is generating this terrific offense that is getting spoiled by his linemates. That play a few games back where Hoglander didn't get him the puck was unusual in my eyes.

It's not 'looking busy'. It's 'competing and winning puck battles'. When Pettersson is good, this is what he does. He's hustling, stripping pucks, getting to pucks that he shouldn't. Even if he's not scoring, if he's doing this he'll be helping the team. And if he's doing that, I'm 100% convinced that scoring will come from it.

And the linemates stuff continues to be pathetic. Again : he plays with elite players on the PP and has stunk. The Lotto Line gets put together a few times/game and he does nothing. He played with Boeser for 6-7 games to finish the season and did nothing. 1

MS says he’s not injured. I don’t know what else to tell you.

Rick Tocchet has gone out of his way say he's not injured, while at the same time openly telling the media that players like Boeser and Hronek are carrying knocks.

Do you ALWAYS take their word or only when it supports your preconceived opinnion?

I take their word for it when it's backed up by a pile of other evidence.

Do you actually think that for some reason they're openly admitting that Boeser is hurt but refusing to say anything about Pettersson to the point of the Tocchet 'we don't lie' quote, and that Tocchet has then proceeded to skewer their $11 million C's effort and commitment when Pettersson is actually trying to gut it through an injury?

Come on, man.

Reactions: Hodgy

Munber1

Jun 5, 2011
I can see him doing some good stuff out there that doesn't end up resulting in a goal...i think if there was less focus on him to get points and more talk about the good stuff he does, that would eventually take some of the unwanted pressure from his game and inspire him to play his best game

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
if we ignore his (in)ability to create offence for a second, the massive massive difference between petey since february and the petey of the first half of the season is previously he was devastating at disrupting the other team’s breakout. he and miller were both picking off passes left and right and generating scoring chances off the resulting mismatches. and them being on different lines was huge, because you couldn’t hide your PMD.

to a degree, i think the league figured out how to breakout against the canucks. but i think the other factor is miller is still able to do this, albeit probably with less than half the frequency that he did in the fall, because he knows and trusts his linemates. locked in boeser forechecking and suter being a fairly heads up player (especially of late) allow miller to be in a position to pick off passes in the offensive zone. if you watch petey defending the breakout, he’s always already sagging back. it’s like back in the travis green days, or the first half of last season under bruce, where nobody trusted anyone else and so we were always on our heels.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
either pettersson isn't injured or tocchet is way out of line. there's no four dimensional chess game being played where tocchet is saying pettersson isn't injured publically while knowing privately he is

Exactly.

It would be absolutely bizarre if, after they basically leaked that Boeser/Hronek were carrying injuries, that they went to this extent to tell people that Pettersson wasn't injured, and if Tocchet then treated Pettersson like this while he was trying to play through an injury ... it would be incredibly uncool, especially considering the importance of the player.

I find it impossible to believe that Tocchet would act in that way.

AlainVigneaultsGum

Holidays in two days
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2012
Calgary, AB
Petey is still my favorite player. I still believe.

Him and Hog and Lindy looked pretty good together earlier in the year. Hopefully they have a big night tonight.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
either pettersson isn't injured or tocchet is way out of line. there's no four dimensional chess game being played where tocchet is saying pettersson isn't injured publically while knowing privately he is

Exactly.

It would be absolutely bizarre if, after they basically leaked that Boeser/Hronek were carrying injuries, that they went to this extent to tell people that Pettersson wasn't injured, and if Tocchet then treated Pettersson like this while he was trying to play through an injury ... it would be incredibly uncool, especially considering the importance of the player.

I find it impossible to believe that Tocchet would act in that way.
Ya, exactly. And even just forgetting the pile of evidence that suggest Pettersson doesn't have a significant injury, the argument that Tochett's express statement that Pettersson doesn't have an injury should just be dismissed because people lie at this time of the year isn't a good one. Teams and coaches have and will continue to obfuscate the truth about injuries, but you can hide injuries without needing to flat out expressly deny they exist with reference to a specific player. And it simply isn't the norm that coaches will come out and flat out lie about a player's injury status and then come out and double down by saying that they are not lying. Like, people don't generally do that because they have integrity.

Reactions: credulous and MS

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Its obvious to me Pettersson is having the yips this playoffs, either because something wrong with his mechanics or something mental. but I have full confidence that he will get out of it. he needs a sports psychologist after dealing with this multiple times in his young career.

hotshot1

Feb 19, 2008
Vancouver
Whether he's injured or not doesn't matter because it doesn't even look like he's trying out there. And yeah his line mates have been terrible but he's on PP1 so there's no excuse.

I'm so curious what the Canes trade package was.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
Its obvious to me Pettersson is having the yips this playoffs, either because something wrong with his mechanics or something mental. but I have full confidence that he will get out of it. he needs a sports psychologist after dealing with this multiple times in his young career.

A sports psychologist would likely be quite helpful. I think he'll rebound in the long-term too. There have been some pretty good players whose offense deserted them for periods, but ended up with good reputations by the end of their careers.

Datsyuk scored three goals in his first 42 playoff games. Three goals in his first 21 games as a rookie and then 0 goals in his next 21 playoff games, including one season where he was Detroit's leading regular season goalscorer.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
Fun heatmap I saw on twitter and matches what I've seen lately out of Pettersson, but it's hard to tell whether it's a result of teams defending better outside of the corners.

It took Tocchet this long to realize that he needed to give EP better linemates?

Credit to him though...didn't think he would break up the Lindholm line.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
Whether he's injured or not doesn't matter because it doesn't even look like he's trying out there. And yeah his line mates have been terrible but he's on PP1 so there's no excuse.

I'm so curious what the Canes trade package was.

Nothing confirmed but the rumour was Necas + KK + top prospect (Morrow?)

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Again, I virtually never am left with the feeling that Pettersson is generating this terrific offense that is getting spoiled by his linemates. That play a few games back where Hoglander didn't get him the puck was unusual in my eyes.

It's not 'looking busy'. It's 'competing and winning puck battles'. When Pettersson is good, this is what he does. He's hustling, stripping pucks, getting to pucks that he shouldn't. Even if he's not scoring, if he's doing this he'll be helping the team. And if he's doing that, I'm 100% convinced that scoring will come from it.

And the linemates stuff continues to be pathetic. Again : he plays with elite players on the PP and has stunk. The Lotto Line gets put together a few times/game and he does nothing. He played with Boeser for 6-7 games to finish the season and did nothing. 1
Why? He's played with horrific linemates. A lot worse than any other top player on any other playoff team. He needs to play better, but like, I don't see what he can do with Mikheyev.

Per NST, Mik has the 2nd highest 5v5 individual scoring chance rate of any Canuck in the playoffs. So he's getting looks from somewhere, and he's played the majority of the time with Petey. He has 0 goals in 60 games though. Might be a problem. Petey gets a few shifts with Suter and Boeser and they look good. Again, Petey needs to be better. But the linemate piece is a huge issue that Tocc finally recognized.

The PP is a five-man unit problem. Part of it is that Tocc should not be managing the PP himself directly,

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006
Wasn't Tocchet telling the media that Suter was drinking food through a straw in round one? Doesn't seem like Tocchet is hiding injuries like other coaches in the past. Feels like he has been the most straight forward and truthful coach we've ever had to me.

Reactions: Nomobo

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Why? He's played with horrific linemates. A lot worse than any other top player on any other playoff team. He needs to play better, but like, I don't see what he can do with Mikheyev.

Per NST, Mik has the 2nd highest 5v5 individual scoring chance rate of any Canuck in the playoffs. So he's getting looks from somewhere, and he's played the majority of the time with Petey. He has 0 goals in 60 games though. Might be a problem. Petey gets a few shifts with Suter and Boeser and they look good. Again, Petey needs to be better. But the linemate piece is a huge issue that Tocc finally recognized.

The PP is a five-man unit problem. Part of it is that Tocc should not be managing the PP himself directly,

Hoglander and Mikheyev have a combined 15 SOG in 18 GP in the playoffs playing next to Pettersson. They aren't getting looks or shots and I call BS on any stat saying they are.

Reactions: Hodgy and Nomobo

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Wasn't Tocchet telling the media that Suter was drinking food through a straw in round one? Doesn't seem like Tocchet is hiding injuries like other coaches in the past. Feels like he has been the most straight forward and truthful coach we've ever had to me.

That isn't exactly an injury you can hide....

I see less evidence that he isn't injured than that he is.

All I see for him not being injured is the Tocchet has said it.

Where there is multiple media outlets saying he is hurt, as well as just looking at how he moves. how he shoots and all of that. The last time he was in a funk it was also known to be at least at first injury related.

Sure speculation either way, but come on.

Reactions: mathonwy

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Hoglander and Mikheyev have a combined 15 SOG in 18 GP in the playoffs playing next to Pettersson. They aren't getting looks or shots and I call BS on any stat saying they are.
NST's scoring chance metric includes any shot attempt from the home plate area as a scoring chance. There is some more flexibility with that, weighting rush chances and rebounds heavier and blocked attempts less.

I mean, if you want to just say the data is bad, alright then. Nothing to discuss.

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006
That isn't exactly an injury you can hide....

I see less evidence that he isn't injured than that he is.

All I see for him not being injured is the Tocchet has said it.

Where there is multiple media outlets saying he is hurt, as well as just looking at how he moves. how he shoots and all of that. The last time he was in a funk it was also known to be at least at first injury related.

Sure speculation either way, but come on.
You're coming at me like I am shitting on your opinion. I have said multiple times that I think it is an injury. The coach can also be the most truthful coach I have ever seen. Those two things are mutually exclusive. Believe whatever the hell you want to believe.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
NST's scoring chance metric includes any shot attempt from the home plate area as a scoring chance. There is some more flexibility with that, weighting rush chances and rebounds heavier and blocked attempts less.

I mean, if you want to just say the data is bad, alright then. Nothing to discuss.

They aren't getting looks or shots to my eye test and they aren't getting shots or shot attempts by the numbers.

If a stat is saying that Mikheyev is getting tons of quality offensive looks and chances in these playoffs, then yes I will say the data is bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad