News Article: Patrick Roy named Head Coach

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I think Barzal needs Horvat's straightaway game to make him more effective. When Barzal is left to his own devices he is ineffective too many games.
And that’s probably the simplest way to look at it.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Brings instant credibility to the Isles coaching staff, hard to ignore this guy has a winning aura about him. He will give the Isles a jolt that will land them a playoff spot. Not the first time Lou has done this to boost his teams into the 2nd half of the season. I look at this as more of psychological lift rather than a systems change boost. As much as Lambert improved the offence to the team, and credit to him for this, having Roy behind the bench gives you a more confident feeling this is an improvement that will translate into more wins. Other than a big trade, this is impactful.

Reactions: TMI and impaaaaaact

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Brings instant credibility to the Isles coaching staff, hard to ignore this guy has a winning aura about him. He will give the Isles a jolt that will land them a playoff spot. Not the first time Lou has done this to boost his teams into the 2nd half of the season. I look at this as more of psychological lift rather than a systems change boost. As much as Lambert improved the offence to the team, and credit to him for this, having Roy behind the bench gives you a more confident feeling this is an improvement that will translate into more wins. Other than a big trade, this is impactful.
Agree 100%. I'm hoping there is more structure to the defense however and from the little we have already seen after the first game the team looks to be headed in the right direction.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Throttle I appreciate you repeating the same arguments over and over again in post after post after post in earnest that someone will see your point of view. I might not agree with it, but I give you credit for your determination. It must feel nice to be respected that way.
Actually, I wasn’t gonna say boo on the player. He’s got a new coach. Let’s see what he does from here. Clean slate. But, best players still need to be the best players.

However, that data provides supplemental supporting info across 3 coaches and 2 different styles of play under them. I didn’t bring the data in to support any argument, but it kinda does highlight some of what I have seen (and stated here).

The OT goal against DAL is exactly why we acquired Horvat.
And to take and win faceoffs. ;)

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
I mean this paragraph is really something. One game shown on TV and all of a sudden the Islanders are the Xanadu of the NHL.
you know, at a bar with two televisions in Toronto I'm going to make an educated guess that the second game they show is generally not two teams outside of the division (or the country). But for some strange reason they decided to show ours. I'm in Montreal tonight and I'm fairly certain I won't have trouble finding a place to watch. Two of the biggest markets watching our team play for some weird reason. Wonder what changed!
Ladd easily got the best offer from the Isles. If he got the same offer from half the league he wouldn't have been here. My guess he the interest at the time was tepid at best, but no question snow offered the most. Why? He hated losing out on any name free agent and finally found someone who would take his money.

Amazing how snow was able to "lure" Jon Sim here as well.

I think we all remember the reports of Panarin turning down the higher offer from us. Do you have any proof that we offered Ladd substantially more than everyone else? Quite frankly I don't remember reading anything about that at all and remember him being a highly sought after FA that year. And even if we did, he still had the same option as Tavares and Panarin to turn down our better financial offer to play somewhere he would rather be.

As far as your Jon Sim comment... who exactly has Lou signed as a UFA? Like a player that didn't cost us a first rounder and actually hit the open market? Octogenarians Chara and Parise? Knock Snow all you want but in addition to the Ladd signing he also brought in Streit, Halak, Moulson, Witt, plus the Guerins and Weights that match Lou's contributions on the UFA front.

Realistically, aside from ownership not spending (fixed) and playing in substandard facilities (fixed), the biggest deterrent for free agents in the Snow days was probably being tied to Cappy. Even with those handicaps he was able to still get a few guys who had some options. I can't recall Lou signing a player he didn't trade for first that wasn't to a league min deal. No Panarin, no Kadri, no Gaudreau... no one. If we're suddenly able to sign UFAs (if we ever get some cap space) it should be pretty easy to point to what changed.

EDIT: Lou signed Komarov and Weird Frans in UFA. So there's that

Last edited:
Reactions: Konk

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
you know, at a bar with two televisions in Toronto I'm going to make an educated guess that the second game they show is generally not two teams outside of the division (or the country). But for some strange reason they decided to show ours. I'm in Montreal tonight and I'm fairly certain I won't have trouble finding a place to watch. Two of the biggest markets watching our team play for some weird reason. Wonder what changed!

Fasching for Engvall?

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
It is interesting that this Saturday is the team yearbook giveaway for alumni weekend. I cannot imagine that they have not been printed for weeks now so how awkward will it be that they are giving out a yearbook with Lane Lambert shown as the coach.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
It is interesting that this Saturday is the team yearbook giveaway for alumni weekend. I cannot imagine that they have not been printed for weeks now so how awkward will it be that they are giving out a yearbook with Lane Lambert shown as the coach.
They'll put a sticker of Roy over him. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Actually, I wasn’t gonna say boo on the player. He’s got a new coach. Let’s see what he does from here. Clean slate. But, best players still need to be the best players.

However, that data provides supplemental supporting info across 3 coaches and 2 different styles of play under them. I didn’t bring the data in to support any argument, but it kinda does highlight some of what I have seen (and stated here).

And to take and win faceoffs. ;)
Fair enough, but I'm going to hold you to that clean slate. That's where they are at at this point in time a clean slate. A completely different coaching philosophy. Who knows where this team can go? I have high hopes once again. Tonight will be a big test but with not much time to get the team prepared or trained for "Roy" hockey I'm not getting my hopes up too high. I just want a good game. Good effort. Smart hockey and a playing to win attitude.

I think we all remember the reports of Panarin turning down the higher offer from us. Do you have any proof that we offered Ladd substantially more than everyone else? Quite frankly I don't remember reading anything about that at all and remember him being a highly sought after FA that year. And even if we did, he still had the same option as Tavares and Panarin to turn down our better financial offer to play somewhere he would rather be.

As far as your Jon Sim comment... who exactly has Lou signed as a UFA? Like a player that didn't cost us a first rounder and actually hit the open market? Octogenarians Chara and Parise? Knock Snow all you want but in addition to the Ladd signing he also brought in Streit, Halak, Moulson, Witt, plus the Guerins and Weights that match Lou's contributions on the UFA front.

Realistically, aside from ownership not spending (fixed) and playing in substandard facilities (fixed), the biggest deterrent for free agents in the Snow days was probably being tied to Cappy. Even with those handicaps he was able to still get a few guys who had some options. I can't recall Lou signing a player he didn't trade for first that wasn't to a league min deal. No Panarin, no Kadri, no Gaudreau... no one. If we're suddenly able to sign UFAs (if we ever get some cap space) it should be pretty easy to point to what changed.

EDIT: Lou signed Komarov and Weird Frans in UFA. So there's that
A lot of good points and I think one of Snow's best days was when he traded for both Leddy and Boychuk over a summer. Good moves there as well.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
I’m a retired railroad engineer and you’re still wrong.
You fool you fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The first is never get involved in a land war in Asia. But only slightly less known is this: never go in against a statistician when death is on the line. Bwaa ha ha haaaaaaa!

Last edited:

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
You fool you fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The first is never get involved in a land war in Asia. But only slightly less know is this: never go in against a statistician when death is on the line. Bwaa ha ha haaaaaaa!
This isn't war games. Maybe you need a breath of fresh air. Take a drive down to Jones Beach and clear your head.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
This isn't war games. Maybe you need a breath of fresh air. Take a drive down to Jones Beach and clear your head.
Jones Beach. That brings back memories. It's currently 75 degrees outside where I live now. We get plenty of fresh air down here. Keeps me thinking straight.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Reportedly the most money, not one if us have seen the actual offers.

Do you really think that Ladd had any better offers out there, yet decided to go with the perennial loser (at the time) Islanders ?

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Whoa whoa...Are you actually saying that snow was a better GM than Lou in terms of luring free agents to play for the Islanders? Be careful what you put out there on these boards. Lots of Lou stans here so you might want to look over both shoulders as you walk to your car.

Realistically, aside from ownership not spending (fixed) and playing in substandard facilities (fixed), the biggest deterrent for free agents in the Snow days was probably being tied to Cappy.

And who hired Cappy?

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Jones Beach. That brings back memories. It's currently 75 degrees outside where I live now. We get plenty of fresh air down here. Keeps me thinking straight.

giphy.gif

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
Coach Roy Said Recently.... “I don’t want them (The Players) to like the coaching staff because we let them do what they want,” Roy said. “I want them to like the coaching staff because they believe we’re going to make this team better.”

Exactly What The Doctor Ordered!

Reactions: PWJunior

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Agree 100%. I'm hoping there is more structure to the defense however and from the little we have already seen after the first game the team looks to be headed in the right direction.
You got to think this will benefit Sorokin, having arguably the greatest Goalkeeper in history behind the bench gives you confidence. Lou loves tapping into the Montreal Canadiens greats. Lemaire, Robinson, Pat Burns, and now Roy. Smart move!

Reactions: PWJunior

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad