Speculation: Panthers inquired on Hall

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Reminder that everyone is an insider and has sources at this time of the year, all you're doing is giving clicks to these no-name blogs (which more than likely have no sources) and encouraging them to keep going, by posting their links and information here.

Checking the trade board is a good way to do background work, if you're unsure about the source of information. If it's legit, there's either an own thread for the rumour (in Hall's case probably not, since there's a mega thread), or posters are discussing it in a player thread without anyone questioning the source. Trade board regulars are pretty quick to point out bad sources and the mods there are close to the most active out of all boards.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Getting Hall imo, is upgrading Hoffman by finding someone that can produce even with an unproductive mediocre center.
I don't know how if Tallon would be willing to send a good package+Hoffman to get Hall, but it wouldn't be a terrible idea.

There aren't that many available interesting players on bottom feeders that could help the team; forwards; Hall, Pageau, Helm? Defense; Nemeth, David Savard, Vatanen, Daley, Hainsey, DeMelo?. It's a poor selection at the moment.

Desert Panther

Resident Lurker
Jun 23, 2002
Frisco, TX
Visit site
Frankly, I don't want Hall. Not saying he isn't a great player, but for what we'd have to give up it's simply not worth it. He doesn't fill a need on the team (we need defense and center depth more than another winger). If we trade Tro, who steps up to the 2C? Malgin? Acciari? Boyle? Borgstrom? Not a pretty picture.

Also, he's for sure a rental. He's very likely going to 7/1 regardless of who trades for him because he knows the payday is there. I simply can't justify in my head paying what will likely be upwards of $9MM and jeopardizing being able to re-sign Huby and Sasha when they come up in a few years for a guy who has in reality had maybe one and and a half decent seasons.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
We need a trade but not another softie like Hall who's a UFA too

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Hall was MVP two years ago and people act like we're looking to acquire Kris Versteeg.

Interesting they'd want him long term. Good sign for us as a franchise.

Oh well, maybe the price will come down.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I feel NJ really dropped the ball by scratching Hall, insinuating to teams that he's potentially getting traded right now and hoping that someone improves their offer to make sure they get Hall. Looks like no one did (or at least it hasn't been reported) and now as referred by Lebrun in his tweet, teams are sitting there like "well... we're waiting" and NJ has lost their leverage.

I mean they'll still get a good haul for Hall, but not what they were hoping for.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I feel NJ really dropped the ball by scratching Hall, insinuating to teams that he's potentially getting traded right now and hoping that someone improves their offer to make sure they get Hall. Looks like no one did (or at least it hasn't been reported) and now as referred by Lebrun in his tweet, teams are sitting there like "well... we're waiting" and NJ has lost their leverage.

I mean they'll still get a good haul for Hall, but not what they were hoping for.

NJ should've traded Hall at least a year ago. I really don't get why they got hot 'n bothered even after acquiring Subban and drafting Hughes because their team ain't that good to begin with. Their window to contend opens up when Hischier and Hughes are about 24yo so that's gonna happen roughly three years from now. But hey, every GM nowadays thinks that their team can contend just because their team could beat any team on a given day but that somehow means the same thing over the course of 82 games.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
NJ should've traded Hall at least a year ago. I really don't get why they got hot 'n bothered even after acquiring Subban and drafting Hughes because their team ain't that good to begin with. Their window to contend opens up when Hischier and Hughes are about 24yo so that's gonna happen roughly three years from now. But hey, every GM nowadays thinks that their team can contend just because their team could beat any team on a given day but that somehow means the same thing over the course of 82 games.
I don't see this as an issue, yes the team isn't good and should be rebuilding, but you need someone notable to sell tickets and build hype around the team (Subban has been regressing for some time now, so I don't qualify him). Last year they had the excuse that Hall was out for a large part of the season, and it would've looked bad both from the fans and the players perspective, had they traded their league MVP only a year after it happened. Now this season everything has imploded and the team has a valid reason for trading Hall for futures, building hype around the kids for next season is also easier when there's no "WTF, WHY DID SHERO TRADE HALL?!?!" -reaction. Less pressure on them as well.

I also don't think it was foregone conclusion that Hall was leaving (there was a lot of positive messages from both sides during the summer), but the awful start they had was the final nail on the coffin.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Interested to see if Tallon makes another move in light of the latest Hall update.

He must be looking to upgrade this team somehow, wonder if he still feels like something needs to be changed or if this was too big of a potential upgrade to not at least kick the tires on.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
So they only wanted hall if they could resign him? Well, obviously. Is nj not letting teams speak with his agent or something? If it’s purely as a rental then yeah I wouldn’t pay that price, we’re not one Taylor hall away from a Stanley cup. If that’s the case then arizona shouldn’t be in anymore either. Maybe Colorado, they could contend this year potentially.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Frankly, I don't want Hall. Not saying he isn't a great player, but for what we'd have to give up it's simply not worth it. He doesn't fill a need on the team (we need defense and center depth more than another winger). If we trade Tro, who steps up to the 2C? Malgin? Acciari? Boyle? Borgstrom? Not a pretty picture.

Also, he's for sure a rental. He's very likely going to 7/1 regardless of who trades for him because he knows the payday is there. I simply can't justify in my head paying what will likely be upwards of $9MM and jeopardizing being able to re-sign Huby and Sasha when they come up in a few years for a guy who has in reality had maybe one and and a half decent seasons.

Hall is that good he can drive his own line. Similar to Panarin and why we all wanted him.

Can't believe people don't want Hall. He's an elite player. He's far better than Hoffman and Dadonov. He's a similar level to Barkov. He would be our second best player. Not saying we should gut our system, but we should at least enquire about him (with an extension, not just a rental).

Desert Panther

Resident Lurker
Jun 23, 2002
Frisco, TX
Visit site
Hall is that good he can drive his own line. Similar to Panarin and why we all wanted him.

Can't believe people don't want Hall. He's an elite player. He's far better than Hoffman and Dadonov. He's a similar level to Barkov. He would be our second best player. Not saying we should gut our system, but we should at least enquire about him (with an extension, not just a rental).

Similar level to Barkov?? Your assessment of him and mine obviously differ.

Again, not saying he's not a great player, but it would be the same as if we had acquired Panarin. He's a luxury, not a need and one we wouldn't be able to afford long term.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013

Again, not saying he's not a great player, but it would be the same as if we had acquired Panarin. He's a luxury, not a need and one we wouldn't be able to afford long term.
Having a second line that can score is not a luxury, it's a need.

Desert Panther

Resident Lurker
Jun 23, 2002
Frisco, TX
Visit site
Having a second line that can score is not a luxury, it's a need.

You're assuming quite a lot. Surely that would help this year (no argument there). But the cap hit next year and beyond is crippling to the point where it would jeopardize getting Huby and Sasha resigned when they come up (Sasha in 2 years, Huby in 3) since Yandle, Ek and Bob plus whatever Dads (or Hoff since we can't afford both) get resigned for will all still be on the books.

I'd much rather have 3 guys that can score 20 than a single guy that can score 40. The real issue in my mind so far this year is that the team was counting on Tro returning to form, Vatrano taking that next step and either Borg or Tippett making the team in a semi-significant capacity (none of which has happened and none of which anyone could have really predicted).

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

They are both elite imo. I would give the edge to Barkov between the two. But Hall would most definitely be our second best player. And this comes from someone who thinks Huberdeau is a bit underrated.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
PLB wrote a nice article on the athletic about how we fell out of the Hall sweepstakes.
I would comment further, but I see I am not receiving any monetary sponsors from people to have this account on the athletic, therefore you will have to find out on your own.

Show-me-the-money!

Reactions: Little Bobby Boo

Desert Panther

Resident Lurker
Jun 23, 2002
Frisco, TX
Visit site
They are both elite imo. I would give the edge to Barkov between the two. But Hall would most definitely be our second best player. And this comes from someone who thinks Huberdeau is a bit underrated.

Honestly, I'd take Huby over Hall because he's better defensively. I do think Hall CAN be elite and has had moments where he was. He's also been wildly inconsistent over his career.

I take Barkov head and shoulders over both without even having to think about it.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
that’s not his fault. Guess you wouldn’t trade for Barkov or McDavid based on your logic

We also need people who can will this team to victory like Hall can.

doesn't even make sense on a rhetorical level. one of those guys is a generational player, the other a #1 center. of course you'd go for them if you could and/or needed to.

taylor hall is neither.

and for christ's sake, scoring is not this team's problem!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad