Confirmed with Link: Panthers claim Seth Griffith off waivers

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
He also killed penalties back then too. Well aware that it was against kids and not men and that Junior players fail all the time, but those are all the attributes we've been severely lacking from our forwards IMO. He is proven at the AHL level and the goals he scored at the NHL level looked impressive, it's just a matter of someone giving him a chance and seeing what he can do. Not saying he's going to turn into Tyler Johnson, but maybe he can be a more defensively responsible version of Brandon Pirri. Who knows, but if he fails, we put him on waivers again simple as that.

Why not. But it's not the moment to put him in. Montreal is tough enough on itself. No need to make it any harder. Especially with Toronto and the back to backs upcoming and McCann playing well, this is just a silly move.
Teach him the system and let him settle in. The team won the last game and played well. There is no reason to panic.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Why not. But it's not the moment to put him in. Montreal is tough enough on itself. No need to make it any harder. Especially with Toronto and the back to backs upcoming and McCann playing well, this is just a silly move.
Teach him the system and let him settle in. The team won the last game and played well. There is no reason to panic.
McCann has looked decent, but only in the last few games. I think the braintrust would like to see more scoring opportunities from the 3rd line and Griffith has a big edge in scoring and probably a slight drop in the defensive end. Griffith plays best with skilled talent, not playing with a group of guys that are an energy or checking line. He will get more than his share of games on the 3rd line to prove himself and will likely see PP time as he acclimates with his teammates. I am surprised that Sceviour was not moved to the off wing as he did well on Tro's line and has more experience. Griffith is accustomed to playing RW.

McCann may be sent down to garner some experience in the AHL which would not be a bad thing. IMO, I get the feeling the coaches are higher on Rau's 200' game than McCann + the fact he is better suited for 4th line play. Will get interesting when Nick returns as to how the chess pieces are set up. :)

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
McCann has looked decent, but only in the last few games. I think the braintrust would like to see more scoring opportunities from the 3rd line and Griffith has a big edge in scoring and probably a slight drop in the defensive end. Griffith plays best with skilled talent, not playing with a group of guys that are an energy or checking line. He will get more than his share of games on the 3rd line to prove himself and will likely see PP time as he acclimates with his teammates. I am surprised that Sceviour was not moved to the off wing as he did well on Tro's line and has more experience. Griffith is accustomed to playing RW.

McCann may be sent down to garner some experience in the AHL which would not be a bad thing. IMO, I get the feeling the coaches are higher on Rau's 200' game than McCann + the fact he is better suited for 4th line play. Will get interesting when Nick returns as to how the chess pieces are set up. :)

Reinforcements in Springfield are getting better for an already good start. Maybe McCann does need 1st line minutes, him and Hunt could be an AHL duo.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Reinforcements in Springfield are getting better for an already good start. Maybe McCann does need 1st line minutes, him and Hunt could be an AHL duo.
The only reason they are even in contention is the goaltending and excellent defensive play. Hunt has fallen off a cliff lately and the physical play in the AHL may be part of the reason. He missed over a year of juniors with concussion issues and don't think other teams scouting aren't aware of that. They lay a body on him whenever possible.

So McCann is scratched in lieu of being sent down. I guess they don't need to move him until Nick returns, so they will keep him around just in case of injury in the next few games. On paper he should help Springfield, but much will depend on his attitude and how he takes the demotion. He had this rep prior to coming here that rubbed people the wrong way, so it's important that he accept it and look to gain the confidence and maturity so that he will be more prepared when the next injury call-up occurs. :)

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
The only reason they are even in contention is the goaltending and excellent defensive play. Hunt has fallen off a cliff lately and the physical play in the AHL may be part of the reason. He missed over a year of juniors with concussion issues and don't think other teams scouting aren't aware of that. They lay a body on him whenever possible.

So McCann is scratched in lieu of being sent down. I guess they don't need to move him until Nick returns, so they will keep him around just in case of injury in the next few games. On paper he should help Springfield, but much will depend on his attitude and how he takes the demotion. He had this rep prior to coming here that rubbed people the wrong way, so it's important that he accept it and look to gain the confidence and maturity so that he will be more prepared when the next injury call-up occurs. :)

I don't think Hunt has fallen off a cliff...in the games I've seen, he's one of the best players out there...all over the ice and controlling the puck well. I thought the top line was good with Black as the center, but I think he may be injured or something...he hasn't played in a bit.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

He got mishandled in Vancouver. Cats are about to do the same. He clearly showed that he's capable of being an NHL regular both here and in Vancouver. All he got for his efforts is a seat in the press box (Vancouver) and likely a demotion here in Florida. And that's just because the management decided to take a guy off waivers. This is ridiculous. I'd be mighty piissed if I were him.

Benched

Jan 2, 2007
skating issues. his lack of speed and small stature both worked against him

So he's slow and small? Yay... just what we need. More small guys who get pushed around. At least Rau and McCann are fast.

Looks like a shot in the dark with this dude especially if a team like the Leafs who have nothing left to do but give young talent a chance released him.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Any word on a Matheson scratch? He is playing like ass and was helped by a scratch last time. Plus we need to see McIlrath play.

Insert two turtles into the lineup in Montreal? We might as well just give up and head for Toronto. Honestly. Griffith and McIlrath are scary slow. I don't wanna see even one of them against the Habs.

Benched

Jan 2, 2007
Insert two turtles into the lineup in Montreal? We might as well just give up and head for Toronto. Honestly. Griffith and McIlrath are scary slow. I don't wanna see even one of them against the Habs.

Would rather see a slow dude who is strong on the puck than a fast current version of Matheson.

And I didn't say scratch both of them at the same time. Just saying would rather scratch Matheson than McCann who has been decent

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Would rather see a slow dude who is strong on the puck than a fast current version of Matheson.

And I didn't say scratch both of them at the same time. Just saying would rather scratch Matheson than McCann who has been decent

Agreed on McCann. We badly need this win and it's a really curious decision to play Griffith in Montreal. Might come back to haunt Gallant if they get owned by the Habs...
Not so sure about McIlrath. I'd play him during the back to back and see how it goes. No need to risk anything. Same goes for Griffith.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
Agreed on McCann. We badly need this win and it's a really curious decision to play Griffith in Montreal. Might come back to haunt Gallant if they get owned by the Habs...

why? how would gallant playing griffith over mccann come back to haunt him? it's a very minor line-up change

Benched

Jan 2, 2007
why? how would gallant playing griffith over mccann come back to haunt him? it's a very minor line-up change

Could've gotten more muscle in he lineup with McIlrath. And if Matheson continues to play like he has it could be the difference.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
I don't think Hunt has fallen off a cliff...in the games I've seen, he's one of the best players out there...all over the ice and controlling the puck well. I thought the top line was good with Black as the center, but I think he may be injured or something...he hasn't played in a bit.
I've watched a few games and he has received PP time and his timing seems off. Scored the 3 goals the first 5 games or so and haven't heard a peep since. Some of the last 8 games he never even got a shot off.

If he needs a good C, then maybe things will turn around. I believe Sutter is injured but don't know about Black. McCann will probably get some time at C once he is sent down but I don't see that till Nick is activated. Let's hope he gets some confidence going as right now it seems to be lacking. :)

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Where do you come up with the nonsense? Both guys have good straight ahead speed and the only criticism I hear is their lateral skating could use some work. McIlrath has had a few knee operations that probably limit his lateral mobility, but the guy has plenty of straight ahead speed. :)

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I've watched a few games and he has received PP time and his timing seems off. Scored the 3 goals the first 5 games or so and haven't heard a peep since. Some of the last 8 games he never even got a shot off.

If he needs a good C, then maybe things will turn around. I believe Sutter is injured but don't know about Black. McCann will probably get some time at C once he is sent down but I don't see that till Nick is activated. Let's hope he gets some confidence going as right now it seems to be lacking. :)

McCann lacking confidence? Did you even watch recent games? The guy was thriving and got a really nice cycling game going. He and Malgin seemed to work out pretty well. You don't make plays like he has if you're lacking confidence. It might have been the case earlier in the season, but not now. However, being healthy stratch or demoted will change that pretty quickly. I've hardly ever seen a guy that would be ready to play in the NHL gaining confidence by getting demoted:shakehead

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
McCann lacking confidence? Did you even watch recent games? The guy was thriving and got a really nice cycling game going. He and Malgin seemed to work out pretty well. You don't make plays like he has if you're lacking confidence. It might have been the case earlier in the season, but not now. However, being healthy stratch or demoted will change that pretty quickly. I've hardly ever seen a guy that would be ready to play in the NHL gaining confidence by getting demoted:shakehead
We were talking about Dryden Hunt. :)

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Where do you come up with the nonsense? Both guys have good straight ahead speed and the only criticism I hear is their lateral skating could use some work. McIlrath has had a few knee operations that probably limit his lateral mobility, but the guy has plenty of straight ahead speed. :)

Wait...after your recent posts you wanna talk to me about nonsense?:D
McIlrath is a slower defense version of Tom Wilson. Nothing else. If you know what I mean. I appreciate the trade for McIlrath but you can't be serious about what you just posted :help:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
McCann will probably get some time at C once he is sent down but I don't see that till Nick is activated. Let's hope he gets some confidence going as right now it seems to be lacking. :)

We were talking about Dryden Hunt. :)

Sorry, man. Maybe this is because I'm no English native but this to me doesn't sound too much like Hunt:help:

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Just to clarify my thoughts on McCann. I also think he started slow but has improved greatly the last 3 or 4 games. It could be a mistake sending him down since it has been documented that he can cop an attitude and could cause him to get down on himself. Time will tell.

As far as Griffith is concerned, I think it is a prudent move. When Boston put him on waivers in the middle of October, Toronto had the first right of refusal since they were in last place the season before. After Nov 1st, the pecking order changes to where a team stands based on their current record. I can just about guaranty you that Griffith would have been picked up by someone had the Cats not jumped at the chance when they did. There probably were at least 15 to 20 teams that he had to pass after the Cats to clear. The Cats are going to give him a shot to work with a highly skilled line in Malgin and Sceviour this week. Once Nick returns then we'll have to see if he bumps Sceviour to the 4th and stays on the line with Malgin and Griffith. If things don't work out after a 10 game or so try out, then he will likely be put back on waivers. In either case, Griffith has the offensive game and experience they are looking for at this point in time. McCann will just need to be patient and he will get his opportunity again. :)

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Wait...after your recent posts you wanna talk to me about nonsense?:D
McIlrath is a slower defense version of Tom Wilson. Nothing else. If you know what I mean. I appreciate the trade for McIlrath but you can't be serious about what you just posted :help:
And what posts were those?

Watch the game tonight and point out the turtle on the 3rd line to me. :)

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Sorry, man. Maybe this is because I'm no English native but this to me doesn't sound too much like Hunt:help:
The only thing I inserted about McCann was that Hunt may need a good C and he could be the answer. The rest of the post was all about Hunt. It's not hard to figure out. :)

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
And what posts were those?

Watch the game tonight and point out the turtle on the 3rd line to me. :)

It's not likely that he'll be able to replace McCann who played really well lately. Against the Habs you need to roll all lines to have a chance. You need everyone...nobody will be able to hide in Montreal. The slightest mistake could be the one too much. There was no pressure to put Griffith in with the Leafs and a back to back coming up. It might even work, but it's a stupid move anyway. And people will blame Gallant if Griffith fails.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I don't like Griffith on the forecheck. McCann was way more efficient. The last shift was a great one though. Griffith made several good plays. He shouldn't have missed the empty net though:cry:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad