OT: Yashin named GM of Russian national women's team

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/story/?id=411167

MOSCOW -- Former NHL star Alexei Yashin was named general manager of the Russian women's national team on Friday.

The 39-year-old has played professional hockey for 21 years -- 12 in the NHL and nine in his native Russia.

"I think for the ladies it's a great gift for the new year," Russian Hockey Federation president Vladislav Tretiak said on the IIHF website. "Alexei is a fine man who did a lot for our country. The solution will benefit both our coaching staff and give new challenges to the general manager."..

After recording 781 points in 850 career NHL games, Yashin returned to Russia in 2007 and played for Lokomotiv Yaroslavl, SKA St. Petersburg and most recently for CSKA Moscow. Yashin hasn't played since last spring and has not announced the end of his playing career.

Last edited by a moderator:

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Hopefully they can find the right coach for him so as to maximize his GM talents.

:sarcasm:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
in other news past New York Islanders Foward Alexei Yashin has convinced former employer and good friend Charles Wang to sign his top Female scorer to an Entry Level contract to play in the NHL. Hanna Venkov will become the first Female professional atheate to play in mens sports(nascar not a sport). THE NYI have Broken the Gender Barrier.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Does Yashin have any experience in management?

I could understand if someone like Alex Zhamnov got job given he has been GM in KHL for a few years now

But Yashin to my understanding has no experience

Last edited:

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada

IF Prokhorov owns the team in the future (part or full) I can see Yashin being the GM.

But Prokhorov or anyone else should realize that doing so may lead to a public relations corporate nightmare.

ishot-4860.jpg

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC
Sounds about right...

In other news, Oleg Kvasha has been named the mascot of the Russian national women's team.

Pnut

How can a player make the jump to being a GM with no experience!!!!! What kind of incompetent organization does that?That is crazy!:rant::rant:

;)

nyisles

Apr 4, 2006
Western Suffolk
IF Prokhorov owns the team in the future (part or full) I can see Yashin being the GM.
Can you explain the connection, aside from them both being Russian? Does Prokhorov have something to do with the Russian women's team? No mention of Prokhorov in the article, only Tretiak.

CaptDenisPotvin

The Tampa Bay Astros are your 2021 Champions
Jun 20, 2007
I think its a great fit, yashin brings a name to the ladies team and the girls will show yashin how to play in the corners and in front of the net....perfect!

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
in other news past New York Islanders Foward Alexei Yashin has convinced former employer and good friend Charles Wang to sign his top Female scorer to an Entry Level contract to play in the NHL. Hanna Venkov will become the first Female professional atheate to play in mens sports(nascar not a sport). THE NYI have Broken the Gender Barrier.

And she'll outperform Bailey.

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006

this already happened in the NHL

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
Can you explain the connection, aside from them both being Russian? Does Prokhorov have something to do with the Russian women's team? No mention of Prokhorov in the article, only Tretiak.

I just think since Prokhorov is a Russian, he may appoint Yashin as the Isles GM IF Onexim buys the Isles.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad