Post-Game Talk: Oilers with the reverse orca card

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I could have f***ing killed Ceci when he didn't touch the puck on a delayed whistle at our blue line only for them to come screaming in for scoring chances. At the pro level you should know that you touch the puck on a delayed whistle, especially on your half of the ice. This is basic shit that he can't get right that could have cost us the game.

There was another sequence in the third where they had some time in our zone, but we were in control. Ceci makes a good play in the corner to get the puck, has time with the puck to punt or pass it, but instead just kind of looked down at it, Nucks converged on him, then they almost scored again.

These are the details that cost teams series when the games are as tight as these ones are. I am less bullish on Stecher or Broberg than a lot of people here are as a lock improvement, but similar to the Pickard/Skinner decision, Broberg or Stecher likely can't be any worse at this point.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
I could have f***ing killed Ceci when he didn't touch the puck on a delayed whistle at our blue line only for them to come screaming in for scoring chances. At the pro level you should know that you touch the puck on a delayed whistle, especially on your half of the ice. This is basic shit that he can't get right that could have cost us the game.

There was another sequence in the third where they had some time in our zone, but we were in control. Ceci makes a good play in the corner to get the puck, has time with the puck to punt or pass it, but instead just kind of looked down at it, Nucks converged on him, then they almost scored again.

These are the details that cost teams series when the games are as tight as these ones are. I am less bullish on Stecher or Broberg than a lot of people here are as a lock improvement, but similar to the Pickard/Skinner decision, Broberg or Stecher likely can't be any worse at this point.
yeah ceci will need to clean that up before we play dallas

Reactions: Oilhawks

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
And if I'm Skinner right now I'm also looking to change something else up. May be a bold move but I'd shave that stache asap. In case he's called upon again, that could be the answer!

Reactions: Mav3rick07

Dieseloil

Jul 31, 2016
They really need to teach Ceci some panic plays or something. Like hey if you think you're caught, flip it high to centre ice or full slapper the thing. Don't cough it up 6 feet away without looking.
That burns me more than anything, if you can’t make the smart outlet pass at least don’t turn it over there of all places. Nurse and Ceci have been doing it all year.

Reactions: T-Funk

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

Broberg can absolutely be worse than Ceci.

Stecher would likely be better.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Iain McIntyre is the worst offender by far. He sets the tone for the bitch ass nature of their fanbase.

This was probably 5/6 years ago now, but we played a game in Van that we won by one goal off a PP in the third. I can't remember the call for sure, but I think Nurse got high sticked. It was a black and white call, but naturally that clown thought it was embellished (as they do in Vancouver).

To put it succinctly, it was the type of play that might deserve a mention the next day if you thought it was embellished. In true Nuck fashion, I think he dedicated at least a paragraph to it, and also in true Nuck fashion it was written in the style of a teenage Facebook rant. Complete with mocking the player, immature insults, etc. Really wish I could find it, maybe I'll try and dig it up later.

It is not hard to see where they get it from.

Guy is insufferable. His twitter account is just full of horrible takes.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
I don’t know what our faceoff percentage was the last half of that third period but it seemed like we could not win a critical one in our end. That has to be cleaned up, seemed like a big factor in them coming back.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
They obviously hate him

This may be short-sighted but I’d trade Skinner for a late 1st if there was a desperate team out there aka Toronto. Then I would use the 1st and another piece to rid ourselves of Campbell.

I’d rather start over from scratch (or with Pickard) than run with those 2 guys again

Reactions: elmeroil

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
You'd hope someone would but how do you stay in the playoff lineup playing soft as butter. (I kbow, he's defensively reaponsible) I did see him hit a guy yesterday but why isn't that the norm? It's the playoffs and you can easily spot the guys who are all in...he's not
I saw that too. He bounced off the guy landed on his ass and went straight to the bench. I know some here go to bat for this guy but for what? A stick check here and there.
3rd line guys should be in the mould of a MacTavish or Moreau, go to the hard areas and pay the price no matter what. McLeod is not that player... at all.

Reactions: elmeroil

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
And if I'm Skinner right now I'm also looking to change something else up. May be a bold move but I'd shave that stache asap. In case he's called upon again, that could be the answer!
LOL...seriously I think that one of the most significant things that Skinner can do (for next season) is to drop some weight.

As an example...Silovs is exactly the same height as Skinner (6'4"). Silovs however is almost 30 lbs lighter.
Its basic physics that a goalie with less weight will move with more fluidity.

I think that Skinner relies on positional goaltending so much (at least in part) is because of his overall size and increased difficulty in starting and stopping his momentum.
Carrying 230 lbs for a goalie has to impact their ability to mover laterally and effect their ability to move explosively.
It seems to me that he could maybe get down to around 210-215 it may positively affect his movement in net.

Last edited:

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
I saw that too. He bounced off the guy landed on his ass and went straight to the bench. I know some here go to bat for this guy but for what? A stick check here and there.
3rd line guys should be in the mould of a MacTavish or Moreau, go to the hard areas and pay the price no matter what. McLeod is not that player... at all.
Yep, I miss the good old days where you don't finish a hit in the playoffs you don't see the ice again

Reactions: Messrules11

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013

This is over the top, no chance they're leaving Skinner out of that on purpose. They showed a similar clip when they scored and Pickard was on the bench and he just reached out and patted a few guys including training staff. The video looks bad but Mcdavid isn't leaving him out on purpose.

And I've been wanting Pickard to start all playoffs. Yeah you feel bad for Skinner but I also believe he feels some relief too.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
LOL...seriously I think that one of the most significant things that Skinner can do is to drop some weight.

As an example...Silovs is exactly the same height as Skinner (6'4"). Silovs however is almost 30 lbs lighter.
Its basic physics that a goalie with less weight will move with more fluidity.

I think that Skinner relies on positional goaltending so much (at least in part) is because of his overall size and increased difficulty in starting and stopping his momentum.
Carrying 230 lbs for a goalie has to impact their ability to mover laterally and effect their ability to move explosively.
It seems to me that he could maybe get down to around 210-215 it may positively affect his movement in net.

I don't think it necessarily has to impact his speed and mobility, but like... It's clear to me he has awful speed and mobility and he should be looking to do literally anything to improve it. If that means dropping weight, he should try it.

I think that's an offseason thing though more than a in the middle of the playoffs thing. Need time to drop enough weight for it to matter without causing performance issues. A severe enough deficit to cause enough weight loss to impact his mobility would come at large decreases to reaction time and endurance in the short term which isn't ideal.

I'd also note that latest sports physiology has largely debunked that mass is correlated with speed. Depends largely on what kind of muscle fibres you're composed of and in what areas relative to the mechanism of motion. Hence why line backers now a days are approaching 400 lbs and still are elite sprinters in the NFL.

That being said... I am a little skeptical that Skinner's body composition is so different from basically every successful goaltender ever. Feels wasteful and superfluous at best to maintain that much muscle, even if it's not actively harmful.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
The Nucks looked dejected at the end. They thought they turned it around and got scored on in the final seconds. Game 4 is also quite strategic. If the Oilers win the next one, they will be firmly in the driving seat when they get back to Edmonton.
I remember 2 years ago when the Kings were up 2-1 in the series and had a commanding lead in game 4 until we came back and won and we never looked back and won the series 4-2. Hopefully this has a similar result.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I don't think it necessarily has to impact his speed and mobility, but like... It's clear to me he has awful speed and mobility and he should be looking to do literally anything to improve it. If that means dropping weight, he should try it.

I think that's an offseason thing though more than a in the middle of the playoffs thing. Need time to drop enough weight for it to matter without causing performance issues. A severe enough deficit to cause enough weight loss to impact his mobility would come at large decreases to reaction time and endurance in the short term which isn't ideal.

I'd also note that latest sports physiology has largely debunked that mass is correlated with speed. Depends largely on what kind of muscle fibres you're composed of and in what areas relative to the mechanism of motion. Hence why line backers now a days are approaching 400 lbs and still are elite sprinters in the NFL.

That being said... I am a little skeptical that Skinner's body composition is so different from basically every successful goaltender ever. Feels wasteful and superfluous at best to maintain that much muscle, even if it's not actively harmful.
Re the bolded: 100%
There really isnt much of anything he can do right now IMO.
He needs a reset during the offseason and I agree with you that it should include a sports pyschologist.
I think that the difference between a football player and a goalie is that with a football players
(I dont know of a 400lb footbal player by the way) explosive movements he virtually always has his body aligned with the direction he wants to go.
Goalies (with their side to side movement) almost never have that luxury so their weight can have more of a negative impact.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad