OT: Official Sports Media Thread XI : It appears that WZLX 100.7 will flip to all sports

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Fred just has rabbit ears. Retweeting stuff random people say about him. He just can't let anything go. Good god, his string of tweets from the past day are so embarrassing. Guy is unhinged. The interesting thing in one of the tweets is he hopes to be back within a couple weeks? I don't have much use for their show in general but I will have my popcorn ready.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
Do these things ever end on good terms? Think Francessa and Mad Dog for one. It will probably end badly here and then years later they'll patch things up.

Now I have to ask. There was a clear feud between Minihane and Fred years ago. Or was that all an act too?
The feud was real, but Kirk and Fred have since made up. They talk every now and then.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Felger just said that if the Bruins 'did what they did this year in previous years they'd have more than 1 cup.'

I'm not a 'capologist' or whatever the name is around here but wouldn't that have been impossible back then with all the core players signed?

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Dale Arnold told us his retirement was coming. But the abruptness of when it did come, because of the unexpected first-round playoff demise of a certain hockey team … well, who could have foreseen such a sudden end for any of it?
“I didn’t expect to have my career end sitting on my couch in my family room, which is how it happened,” said Arnold, whose 24 seasons as part of NESN’s Bruins broadcast team — including the last 11 as a studio host — ended when the record-setting team was bounced from the playoffs In seven games by the Florida Panthers.

Arnold, who shared studio hosting duties with Sophia Jurksztowicz, was off last Sunday and watching on television at his home in Maine when the Panthers ousted the Bruins with a 4-3 overtime victory.

The 67-year-old had announced in mid-April that this season would be his last. But he acknowledges that he was confident that the Bruins, who won an NHL-record 65 games in the regular season among other achievements, would have a much longer postseason stay, which in a way would help him ease his way into retirement. But the Bruins did not cooperate.

“It’s bittersweet,” he said. “We’ve known this entire season that this was it. But now that it’s here, it’s sort of like, OK, now what do I do? Part of me is ready to step back and relax a little bit. And part of me thinks, ‘What’s it going to be like next October when they start skating again?’ ”

“Things just were different than they were during the regular season,” said Arnold. “They did some things from a personnel point of view that perplexed me. [Jakub] Lauko in instead of [Trent] Frederic, [Connor] Clifton instead of [Matt] Grzelcyk.

“It seemed clear to me watching that there was something going on with [goaltender] Linus Ullmark. And I don’t quite know what the hesitation was, but it certainly wasn’t the same team I watched all season long.”

Arnold said that calling play-by-play for Bruins games, which he did on NESN from 1995-96 through 2006-07, was his greatest joy.

“Oh, easily the Bruins. Bruins play-by-play was the thing I loved the most,” he said, briefly lamenting that he gave up the play-by-play job after signing an extension with WEEI in 2007.

NESN wanted one play-by-play voice for home and road games — network management called it “unifying our Bruins broadcast team” at the time — and Arnold’s radio obligations made traveling difficult.

Jack Edwards, who had called road games the previous two seasons, became the full-time play-by-play voice, and remains so today.

“I had just signed a five-year deal with WEEI and I would have had to break the contract to go do all the Bruins games,” said Arnold. “So, I didn’t feel honorable doing that. And then, a few years later, ‘EEI fired me. [He was actually moved to weekends in 2011 before returning to a full-time weekday role in 2014.] So, I suppose that shows that trying to do the right thing doesn’t always turn out the right way.”

“But honestly,” Arnold said. “There is not a part of this job that I ever did not like.”

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

Dale Arnold told us his retirement was coming. But the abruptness of when it did come, because of the unexpected first-round playoff demise of a certain hockey team … well, who could have foreseen such a sudden end for any of it?
“I didn’t expect to have my career end sitting on my couch in my family room, which is how it happened,” said Arnold, whose 24 seasons as part of NESN’s Bruins broadcast team — including the last 11 as a studio host — ended when the record-setting team was bounced from the playoffs In seven games by the Florida Panthers.

Arnold, who shared studio hosting duties with Sophia Jurksztowicz, was off last Sunday and watching on television at his home in Maine when the Panthers ousted the Bruins with a 4-3 overtime victory.

The 67-year-old had announced in mid-April that this season would be his last. But he acknowledges that he was confident that the Bruins, who won an NHL-record 65 games in the regular season among other achievements, would have a much longer postseason stay, which in a way would help him ease his way into retirement. But the Bruins did not cooperate.

“It’s bittersweet,” he said. “We’ve known this entire season that this was it. But now that it’s here, it’s sort of like, OK, now what do I do? Part of me is ready to step back and relax a little bit. And part of me thinks, ‘What’s it going to be like next October when they start skating again?’ ”

“Things just were different than they were during the regular season,” said Arnold. “They did some things from a personnel point of view that perplexed me. [Jakub] Lauko in instead of [Trent] Frederic, [Connor] Clifton instead of [Matt] Grzelcyk.

“It seemed clear to me watching that there was something going on with [goaltender] Linus Ullmark. And I don’t quite know what the hesitation was, but it certainly wasn’t the same team I watched all season long.”

Arnold said that calling play-by-play for Bruins games, which he did on NESN from 1995-96 through 2006-07, was his greatest joy.

“Oh, easily the Bruins. Bruins play-by-play was the thing I loved the most,” he said, briefly lamenting that he gave up the play-by-play job after signing an extension with WEEI in 2007.

NESN wanted one play-by-play voice for home and road games — network management called it “unifying our Bruins broadcast team” at the time — and Arnold’s radio obligations made traveling difficult.

Jack Edwards, who had called road games the previous two seasons, became the full-time play-by-play voice, and remains so today.

“I had just signed a five-year deal with WEEI and I would have had to break the contract to go do all the Bruins games,” said Arnold. “So, I didn’t feel honorable doing that. And then, a few years later, ‘EEI fired me. [He was actually moved to weekends in 2011 before returning to a full-time weekday role in 2014.] So, I suppose that shows that trying to do the right thing doesn’t always turn out the right way.”

“But honestly,” Arnold said. “There is not a part of this job that I ever did not like.”

I have been critical of Dale Arnold in the past as a "company man" willing to put his head down and collect the paycheck from NESN and, to a lesser extent, 'eei.

Two bits:

One, I did not enjoy his play by play calls. Granted, they coincided with a dreadful era for the B's under Sinden/OC.

Yet Dale Arnold finally became what he always should have been: the knowledgeable pre/intermission/post game studio host who summarizes the action, sets up the color guys and keeps the pace moving crisply. He was excellent at this, a perfect fit.

I also enjoyed his collaboration with Shawn Thornton on the latter's memoir, Fighting My Way to the Top.
I hope he does more of this going forward.

Two, whatever quibbles I've had over thirty years, it was always obvious to me that Dale Arnold is a decent, honorable man who puts the work in. I respect him for that.

Finally, I had never heard about an apparently fraught relationship between Arnold and eei flashboy John Wallach.

(I haven't listened to 'eei since, literally, 9/11, and it was from Wallach that I learned that two planes had crashed into the WTC.)

Wallach always seemed like an affable sort to me. He was one of the few people at that station I didn't detest.

What was the source of contention between him and Dale? I was surprised to read about this, yet not surprised at all that Arnold forthrightly apologized to John Wallach for whatever misunderstanding may have taken place.

Does anyone know what that was about? Curious.

Good luck, Dale,

:clap:

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Felger just said that if the Bruins 'did what they did this year in previous years they'd have more than 1 cup.'

I'm not a 'capologist' or whatever the name is around here but wouldn't that have been impossible back then with all the core players signed?

Captain Hearsay is back at it again with his BS what ifs as he's a boring anchor that drags that show down. Felger can be right about things, but god he's boredom personified as a radio host. Just an absolute dullard.

Felger said in the off air show he’s making enough that Underwood could retire.

Like Hoo Hoo Howie levels of money or like Mancow money? Because Mancow money ain't enough for his wife to retire on.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Hardy must record his SXM stuff ahead of time and they just plug and play on Turbo.

I just heard him on during the midday show on 98.5 after just having heard him speak on SXM.

NGL...would like to hear Hardy do a radio show with another SXM DJ Dennis Falcone. I think the both of them would be an interesting mix of personalities for talk radio.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
What was the source of contention between him and Dale? I was surprised to read about this, yet not surprised at all that Arnold forthrightly apologized to John Wallach for whatever misunderstanding may have taken place.

Does anyone know what that was about? Curious.
My understanding is that Wallach apparently made an attempt to become a larger part of the "Dale and Holley Show" at one point, without running it by anyone. I believe Dale once made reference to a sponsored interview he and Holley did with Vince Wilfork where out of nowhere, Wallach started asking questions. Vince apparently felt ambushed and was not amused. That forced the station/Dale to step in and put Wallach in his place. Wallach then felt pigeonholed into his "Flash Guy" role and that ultimately led to his decision to leave.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
My understanding is that Wallach apparently made an attempt to become a larger part of the "Dale and Holley Show" at one point, without running it by anyone. I believe Dale once made reference to a sponsored interview he and Holley did with Vince Wilfork where out of nowhere, Wallach started asking questions. Vince apparently felt ambushed and was not amused. That forced the station/Dale to step in and put Wallach in his place. Wallach then felt pigeonholed into his "Flash Guy" role and that ultimately led to his decision to leave.
I see. Thank you.

So did Wallach return to eei at some point? Dale's quote sounds like he is addressing John Wallace directly.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site

BSJ Live Q&A: Donnelly on Bruins, NHL Playoffs - 11 a.m. Thursday, 05.11.23​

FRyan4426

Feb 15, 2023
Kingston, MA
92D2CC59-E323-4CC2-88DA-765F2F8B3F1F.png

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Can't wait to hear how his story changes for the 4th time.

He's going to say something tomorrow that gets him fired

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad