Oakland A's to play in Sacramento for a few years while Las Vegas stadium is built

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
If they can find an owner quickly enough, the optimal solution here would seem to be for Fisher to sell the As to someone who will keep them in Oakland, pursuing one of the existing plans that Fisher refused, and for Fisher to be granted an expansion team in Vegas, which allows him to not field a team until he has a field for said team, while not interrupting the history of the As in Oakland.

Granted, it sounds like they're not doing that, but it feels like it alleviates all of the problems all at once if they'd put the effort in (and there's a new owner willing to step in.)

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
If they can find an owner quickly enough, the optimal solution here would seem to be for Fisher to sell the As to someone who will keep them in Oakland, pursuing one of the existing plans that Fisher refused, and for Fisher to be granted an expansion team in Vegas, which allows him to not field a team until he has a field for said team, while not interrupting the history of the As in Oakland.

Granted, it sounds like they're not doing that, but it feels like it alleviates all of the problems all at once if they'd put the effort in (and there's a new owner willing to step in.)

Nah, the optimal thing is "The Cleveland Browns Solution" where the A's move to Vegas and take a new name, leaving the Oakland Athletics as the expansion team.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Nah, the optimal thing is "The Cleveland Browns Solution" where the A's move to Vegas and take a new name, leaving the Oakland Athletics as the expansion team.
The issue with that solution (which is the second-best option from my perspective) is that if you ship off the current roster to Vegas, they have nowhere logical to play until the stadium is built. If you find a new owner in Oakland, and set up Fisher with an expansion team, he can build the stadium, then the team takes the field once that's done. No interregnum period where the team has to play the nomad game, no period where Oakland doesn't have a team. The only person who has to wait or be inconvenienced in any way is Fisher.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
The issue with that solution (which is the second-best option from my perspective) is that if you ship off the current roster to Vegas, they have nowhere logical to play until the stadium is built. If you find a new owner in Oakland, and set up Fisher with an expansion team, he can build the stadium, then the team takes the field once that's done. No interregnum period where the team has to play the nomad game, no period where Oakland doesn't have a team. The only person who has to wait or be inconvenienced in any way is Fisher.

He wouldnt be though.

Fisher would own the Vegas franchise and the league would take ownership of the A's name and give it to the expansion team, making Oakland the ones to wait

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans

I hear what you're saying, but it's moot. There's no way to NOT have either a nomadic Fisher franchise or lame-duck seasons in Oakland because the timelines are going to be virtually identical.

30 years ago..
Mar 1994 - MLB forms expansion committee to get Tampa politicians off their backs.
Mar 1995 - MLB awards teams to Tampa and Phoenix
Nov 1995 - Ground broken on Arizona stadium (TB had one)
Mar 1998 - Tampa and Arizona start play.

We know that MLB has scheduled Las Vegas relocation vote, and we know the Las Vegas stadium target date. A repeat of the expansion process fits perfectly between:

Nov 2023 - MLB relocation vote
Mar 2024 - MLB forms expansion committee
Mar 2025 - MLB awards expansion teams
Nov 2025 - Stadium construction begins
Mar 2028 - Las Vegas stadium scheduled opening; expansion teams begin play.

Reactions: Lt Dan

Takuto Maruki

Ideal and the real
Dec 13, 2016
Brandon, Manitoba
Still no details known of where they will play 2025 through 2027...maybe later
I find it hilarious how some people on this board, and outside of it, consider it appalling, and an indictment on the NHL that the Coyotes play out of Mullett...yet seem to willingly ignore that Fisher and co. have had no real idea on where the A's will play until the Vegas stadium gets built for the *entirety* of this saga as we stand, and freely admit that they are effectively going to mooch off of other stadiums, Triple A or otherwise, until that point. And that not only does Manfred and the other owners sign off on it, but they gleefully support it even when Fisher hasn't had a clue on a sort of plan for months now. And especially with the Nevada teachers union putting up a fight against funding for the eventual new stadium, and general on the ground word of mouth on this 'relocation' is extremely negative, Fisher still has no real plan in place that isn't haphazard at best, and absolutely pie in the sky at worst.

Really just kind of underlines my continued belief that the 'please like my sport' nature of most NHL fans extends to their belief that their problems are somehow worse then others.

Last edited:

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I find it hilarious how some people on this board, and outside of it, consider it appalling, and an indictment on the NHL that the Coyotes play out of Mullett...yet seem to willingly ignore that Fisher and co. have had no real idea on where the A's will play until the Vegas stadium gets built for the *entirety* of this saga as we stand, and freely admit that they are effectively going to mooch off of other stadiums, Triple A or otherwise, until that point. And that not only does Manfred and the other owners sign off on it, but they gleefully support it even when Fisher hasn't had a clue on a sort of plan for months now. And especially with the Nevada teachers union, and general on the ground word of mouth on this 'relocation' is extremely negative, Fisher still has no real plan in place that isn't haphazard at best, and absolutely pie in the sky at worst.

Really just kind of underlines my continued belief that the 'please like my sport' nature of most NHL fans extends to their belief that their problems are somehow worse then others.

nah, Mullett is still an embarrassment of epic proportions. The AAA stadium in Vegas is still double the capacity (10k)

Reactions: DoyleG

Takuto Maruki

Ideal and the real
Dec 13, 2016
Brandon, Manitoba
nah, Mullett is still an embarrassment of epic proportions. The AAA stadium in Vegas is still double the capacity (10k)
The Coyotes *had* an infinitely more solid plan with Tempe then Fisher has had since Howard Terminal. The Coyotes are doing infinitely more work in trying to get a plan B done then Fisher has since he told Oakland's political leaders to pound sand in the eleventh hour, that he would be running to Vegas for cheaper, and still cannot get the stadium he believes will 'save' the A's (forgetting that he'll run the Vegas A's like he did in Oakland, that being cheap and fire sale-ing any worthwhile players once their first contracts end)

How can anyone see what is happening with the A's, and how the ownership class of MLB and Manfred, are signing off on pie in the sky promises and IOU's, and how precarious the situation is for Fisher even now, and consider the Coyotes to be 'worse' in comparison?

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
The cab driver I was talking to a month or so ago when I was in Vegas was saying how the Knights are a huge success because they're a brand new team, unique to Las Vegas. The Raiders, no one gives a shit about because they're just some relocation team with their own history and fans already.

Probably a nothing opinion but I don't see how this'll be any different for the A's. Especially if they're going to continue to be a low budget team that's rarely good and almost never a threat to win a championship.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad