Post-Game Talk: Nurse Skinned the Oilers

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Skinner was bad for sure, but so was the Canucks goalie. Silov's probably let in a couple weak goals, and a long ranger like Zadorov got.

Dif in the game ended up being one team burned double the calories of the other. And one team had a D pair that couldn't do a thing against their opposition in their own zone.

What I would have given for the Oilers to get to just attack over and over against a team sitting back for half a game, and to get to play against Nurse/Ceci with our top players.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Yes size does matter and one of my concerns was the sheer size of the Canucks defence. Myers and Zadorov arent plugs either...neither is Soucy.
Thats 3 dmen all over 6'5" tall and there is a good chance that one of them will be on the ice at any specific time in the game. That is an issue for the Oilers for sure.

All that being said we cant simply prioritize size and discount skill/puck moving ability.
Especially if moving the puck is something the team is struggling with and I think you would agree that was an issue in game 1.
Now if Knoblauch was to put in Stecher and take out Ceci (both RH dmen) for a game I would be fine with that.
It shakes things up a bit and keeps the dmen on their toes.
Do I think that its a long term solution...no, I dont.
Highly doubt the Oilers panic move their roster after one game. Stetcher is purely injury insurance and highly unlikely a game changer in a playoff series. False hope. Skinner has to be substantially better or who plays defense won't ultimately matter.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Which is so weird because our big D don't even hit or are that physical. VD, outside of a few dashes, is generally too slow and chases fwds around a step behind and can't even utilize his reach. Nurse, doesn't it, Ceci, 6'3 and is butter soft. Kulak, same thing. Ekh not a big hitter but he's actually good at defending and rubbing guys out. Bouch 6'4, butter soft and doesn't hit.

Size doesnt matter if you have a bunch of brent burns-esque sized dmen out there that are just big but don't use their size.

Unacceptable that we only got hits from Bouch and Ekh last night on the d-core. We are going to be in real trouble if this team doesnt start playing heavier on these fwds.

I'd put Stech in over Ceci because at least he competes way harder and plays with more urgency and passion. Cecii being big means nothing.
I agree.
Honestly if Nurse was a RD then I would consider taking him out of the lineup (and putting in Stecher) instead of Ceci.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I sympathize with you. Going into this year One of my barometers to determine if this team "Had" it was to see how they performed before they "go down/guilt/desperate" whatever you call it. Lose before they can win etc.

Then the season started and it was alarming. The same team with the same issues. Cannot start a season prepared.

Game 1 against L.A had me hopeful. They actually came out and BROUGHT it.

Last night was a "snap back to reality" moment. This was the Oilers of the last 2 years. The same tendencies with the same results. Entering series with a broken game that they'll try to put together again. It didn't work 2 years ago, it didn't work last year. Because sooner or later they won't be able to put Humpty back together again before the series is over. This cost them vs Vegas last year. 2 years ago against Colorado it cost them even a sniff of making it a series. You aren't going to beat Colorado without being primed and ready game 1.

And Nothing would make me happier than being wrong. But last nights game was concerning not because they lost. But because they lost their game.
A lot of teams have had some Jekyl and Hyde in them. Not just the Oil. Playoffs have been riddled with it. Dallas, Leafs, Bruins, poster teams for inconsistency, you never know which team shows up and all those clubs have premium goaltending. Now imagine how badly those clubs have to stink in a game where they lost 6-1. A bad game for the Oilers under KK is getting beat by one goal. Thats the reality too under KK, that even when this team is bad they could win the game, and that is WITH average goaltending.

Theres been easily 15 absolute stinker games in playoffs that were worse than what we witnessed last night. Shocking as that might sound. Most series you seem one team bringing the guns one night and then alternating the next. Thats been most of the playoffs.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Highly doubt the Oilers panic move their roster after one game. Stetcher is purely injury insurance and highly unlikely a game changer in a playoff series. False hope. Skinner has to be substantially better or who plays defense won't ultimately matter.
I posted earlier that I expect Knoblauch to respond to last nights game the same way he responded to game 2 against the Kings. By playing the same lineup.
That reasoned response worked out just fine against the Kings.

All that being said I wouldnt really consider replacing Ceci with Stecher a panic move if it does happen.
Just an adjustment.
Going a bit further....I also dont necessarily think that Ceci was the biggest issue in last nights game.
That honor goes to Nurse. Its just that ceci plays the right side and so does Stecher.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I agree.
Honestly if Nurse was a RD then I would consider taking him out of the lineup (and putting in Stecher) instead of Ceci.
You're going to have a very long wait if expecting Nurse to be healthy scratched for a small support defenseman. Nurse still plays big minutes on a playoff PK that's been lights out perfect.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
even if for one game to let Ceci know more is needed

Sketcher for one game could be hell on wheels and you know he'd give everything he's got

Ceci can't be that passive and expect his team will win
Ceci actually made a positive contribution in the game last night.
As I said a few times now... I dont think he was as big a part of the problem as Nurse was.

Apparently the team is stuck with Nurse.

Reactions: Forgot About Drai

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
KK though is wading through strange waters in using neither of Stecher or Carrick last night. Carrick being a Center, Makes more sense to play him and especially if we need to match a bit of physicality. Playing Connor Brown? Is that again just heeding McD? The one that wanted Connor Brown here. Its odd. Like thats the last player I would draw in against a speedy nucks club. Yeah, did it for the pk, but the pk has been BETTER, i'e. perfect, without Connor Brown.

With Henrique out injured I'm not sure of the optics of dressing none of the players that your GM got you at TDL.

Getting tired of these X player, Ceci, Brown etc is just in the lineup because the players themselves want them there. Not a great team concept when adequate guys are available, and hungrier to prove their worth.

Reactions: iCanada

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
You're going to have a very long wait if expecting Nurse to be healthy scratched for a small support defenseman. Nurse still plays big minutes on a playoff PK that's been lights out perfect.
I dont expect to see Nurse scratched.
I do however think that his contributions on the PK are offset by the rest of his shortcomings.

Just take a look at the goals in last nights game and try to point out what Nurse did right.

The team just has to overcome all that Nurse brings.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
That game was on Skinner and our defensive strategy against a pretty weak goalie. How many shots did we take after our 4th goal? Dump into the corner became our strategy instead of shooting more on net.
Hopefully McDavid is healthy because he played no better than Janmark ala like a 3rd line plug.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
I dunno, but now we're up to... 19-4 I think. Nurse's playoff stats are laughably bad.

View attachment 867794

Ceci's are even more horrific

View attachment 867795
I feel if we keep doing the same thing over and over and over and expect different results - it’s gotta be the smart way to do things.

I posted earlier that I expect Knoblauch to respond to last nights game the same way he responded to game 2 against the Kings. By playing the same lineup.
That reasoned response worked out just fine against the Kings.

All that being said I wouldnt really consider replacing Ceci with Stecher a panic move if it does happen.
Just an adjustment.
Going a bit further....I also dont necessarily think that Ceci was the biggest issue in last nights game.
That honor goes to Nurse. Its just that ceci plays the right side and so does Stecher.
Knob will never replace Ceci with Stetcher. Ceci can do no wrong on Knob’s eyes. I don’t get it

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
I’m only panicking if McDavid and Drai are both hurt.

It’s one game. Boston smoked Florida game 1 and then got smoked game 2.

If we lose both away games that sucks, if we lose game 3 then I’m panicking. Let’s see how they respond tomorrow.

Reactions: Skar

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
That game was on Skinner and our defensive strategy against a pretty weak goalie. How many shots did we take after our 4th goal? Dump into the corner became our strategy instead of shooting more on net.
Hopefully McDavid is healthy because he played no better than Janmark ala like a 3rd line plug.
Which was mind bottling considering any shot directed towards the net had a chance with how Sievelovs was playing.

Reactions: LTIR

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Gee, if only D never gave up pucks and the Oilers never gave up chances Skinner would be good then, no wait he'd still be letting in 4 goals in last 24mins with one HDSC in that time frame.

The commonality in playoffs, established now through two post seasons is Skinner is not adequate in playoffs. You should see how many times quality goaltenders are bailing out their clubs, getting wins, keeping teams in games etc. The Oilers gave up 11 HDSC in the whole game and Nucks somehow parlay that into 5 goals, 2 posts, another off Skinners shaft.. He's incredibily unreliable. Theres two modes. Occasionally focused Skinner and 4 or more alarm GA Skinner.
Maybe I'm expecting a bit more from our highest paid D-man to not make ECHL level mistakes year after year after year. There's a reason Vegas and Colorado targeted that pairing specifically. He's maybe our 4th best defenseman right now and he's miles behind Bouchard and especially Ekholm.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I feel if we keep doing the same thing over and over and over and expect different results - it’s gotta be the smart way to do things.

Knob will never replace Ceci with Stetcher. Ceci can do no wrong on Knob’s eyes. I don’t get it
I dont think thats true at all.
I just think that Knoblauch believes he is icing the best lineup possible.

To be completely honest though I dont understand why Ceci seems to take all the heat for Nurse.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
KK though is wading through strange waters in using neither of Stecher or Carrick last night. Carrick being a Center, Makes more sense to play him and especially if we need to match a bit of physicality. Playing Connor Brown? Is that again just heeding McD? The one that wanted Connor Brown here. Its odd. Like thats the last player I would draw in against a speedy nucks club. Yeah, did it for the pk, but the pk has been BETTER, i'e. perfect, without Connor Brown.

With Henrique out injured I'm not sure of the optics of dressing none of the players that your GM got you at TDL.

Getting tired of these X player, Ceci, Brown etc is just in the lineup because the players themselves want them there. Not a great team concept when adequate guys are available, and hungrier to prove their worth.
Why isn't Stecher skating?

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I dont think thats true at all.
I just think that Knoblauch believes he is icing the best lineup possible.

To be completely honest though I dont understand why Ceci seems to take all the heat for Nurse.

Because without Ceci, Nurse gets the job done, yet without Nurse Ceci is still useless.

GNJiycIbkAA1IHu.png

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Maybe I'm expecting a bit more from our highest paid D-man to not make ECHL level mistakes year after year after year. There's a reason Vegas and Colorado targeted that pairing specifically. He's maybe our 4th best defenseman right now and he's miles behind Bouchard and especially Ekholm.
First of all hockey doesn't occur without mistakes. There will be some, nature of the game. Next, some teams will force more mistakes than others due to their personnel and what schemes they are using. The Kings are no longer a speed team, and they were playing 1-3-1. Nucks are a much different animal and getting to pucks quicker which historically gives us problems. The Nucks also cheat to zone pressure committing mass player resources nearer to puck. Consider it a type of swarm that works, or that they have the right personnel to deploy it. Watch the Nucks and they will often have 3-4 players near to puck when they don't have puck. They do this mostly in opposition zone. Every team in the league has dome degree of difficulty picking this. What you have to do is move the puck out of that zone, but in doing so risk turning it over.

The Nucks create this kind of risk by flooding to puck and giving player with puck few visible options. Its easier said than done beating this, and it requires solid puck support and adjustments to what is occurring, not just by the D. '

To compound last night for whole game the Oilers didn't have Henrique one of the best transition forwards on any team he's on, and played two periods without Draisaitl, who is arguably the best transition forward in the world. Losing BOTH of those players, its a gutpunch combined with how Nucks play.

All that said I don't disagree Nurse is, and will always be miles behind Ekholm and Booch. But in fairness Booch was granted the perfect vet D to learn off. Nurse in his development here had to pretty much figure it out on his own. So that we get Nurse with warts and all.

As others have mentioned the NHL penchant to penalize physical play by D (if only case by case speciously) also limits the physical nature of Nurse. But apparently goons like Zadorov have a free pass forever, wherever they go. Must be a secret hall pass or something...;)

Why isn't Stecher skating?
News to me. Haven't heard any injury report on him. KK didn't even mention him.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Because without Ceci, Nurse gets the job done, yet without Nurse Ceci is still useless.

View attachment 867951
Well...I dont want to get into yet another discussion on how and why these stats fall short but lets just say that they do not paint a completely accurate picture.

Its entirely possible that Ceci doesnt have what it takes to make up for Nurses ineptitude.

If possible I would punt Nurse from this team so fast he wouldnt have time to make a bad decision.
Ceci would be a close 2nd although perhaps playing him in an appropriate spot in the lineup might be a good idea.

Why this team continues to try and force Ceci into a top 4 (and sometimes top pairing dman role) is as perplexing as it gets. They have been doing that for 3 years now and apparently Holland is just fine with that arrangement. Holland (as per his own words) likes trees.
So trying to force Ceci into roles above his paygrade must be because he is over 6'2" tall so he qualifies as a tree.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Played them 5 times, 0-5. Outscored 25-11. No home ice. Yet we came into the series heavy favorites from so called experts, hearing the hype because of the star players. 23 of 24 so called experts from ESPN picked the Oilers. Then we get games like game 1. It looks exactly the same as years past, it better change big and immediately or it’s wash, rinse, repeat again. Then guess what, next year one of the favorites again. Win the friggin game, wake the f**k up. You can’t take games off, geez. Step up to the moment, stop wilting under the pressure. My God………

Rant over

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad