Speculation: NSH interested in Marner

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Then when he arrives in nashville and there isnt a starter he just doesnt extend.
Mitch Marner would have to wait until July 1st to sign an extension anyways, by then the Preds could sign UFA Ilya Samsonov to tandem with Yaroslav Askarov.

If Marner is moved, what position does Toronto need to address the most?

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Decent fit for Marner. I'm not sure the pred's have the assets to do it. Not talking about the asking price or value. Talking about what may make sense for the leafs. Soros at 29? Sure may work but leafs have multiple gaps they need to fill. Maybe they can get some picks they can flip. But I just don't see them being the best trading partners.
What makes sense for the Leafs is dumping the $11M salary and freeing up cap space to get 3-4 more good players. I think a 1st, a 2nd and Lankinen is a fair value for Marner. There a barely any teams can fit his salary that he would also accept a trade to. The market will be very limited.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Saris has been a Vezina caliber goalie every year but this one and he's only 29.

Evangelista should be off the table.

Correct.

And all those Veznia calibre years will make him likely be able to command well north of $7m on a long term deal, probably over $8m.

2024-25 isn't going to be the Leafs year, it has to be a little bit of a reset; and I think paying any goalie $8m puts you at a massive disadvantage when at least 1 or 2 of the teams you face along the way will get a comparable performance from a guy making less than half of that.

One of the big reasons Saros has so much value is that he's a workhorse nad one of the few guys that plays 60+ every year... but I just don't think that's the way goaltending is trending. I'd much rather go and give Cam Talbot a 2-year deal at $2.5m, with the 2nd year paid as bonus in case he faulters.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Why wouldn’t the return for a dynamic playmaking 0+ point winger wow? I and other Leafs fan have been dragging him through the mud but he’s still an amazing player.
He only has only year left under contract, he's ass in the playoffs, and he's going to cost a ton against the salary cap. He's also probably not agreeing to waive unless it comes with an eight-year extension in place. Otherwise, why not wait until free agency?

This is a very difficult deal to swing, and teams will know that. If they find a team with the present/future cap space, in the right phase of its contention curve, the willingness to do it, as well as interest on Marner's part, it'll frankly be a miracle. There won't be five or six teams that tick all those boxes. There isn't going to be fierce competition for a guy whose reputation can be distilled down to the word... shy... unless the Leafs retain significant dollars (and the whole point of the trade is to gain cap space).

The much more likely alternative is he plays out his final year for the Maple Leafs, fails to raise his game for Toronto again in the 2025 postseason, and either walks or re-ups for an eternity to which Leafs fans would just as soon not bear witness.

If the Leafs can find a taker, they'll count themselves fortunate and look to get a jump start on their retool. Otherwise, they're stuck with all four horsemen of the Apocalypse for another year, and only then can remake their club. The real benefit here for Toronto is the cap space. The return will be secondary.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Saros is only 5'11
And was 6th, 3rd and 4th in Vezina voting the last three years. He's played exactly 350 games, if his size was going to be an issue it would have happened already.

Correct.

And all those Veznia calibre years will make him likely be able to command well north of $7m on a long term deal, probably over $8m.

2024-25 isn't going to be the Leafs year, it has to be a little bit of a reset; and I think paying any goalie $8m puts you at a massive disadvantage when at least 1 or 2 of the teams you face along the way will get a comparable performance from a guy making less than half of that.

One of the big reasons Saros has so much value is that he's a workhorse nad one of the few guys that plays 60+ every year... but I just don't think that's the way goaltending is trending. I'd much rather go and give Cam Talbot a 2-year deal at $2.5m, with the 2nd year paid as bonus in case he faulters.

Well if you're giving up Marner's 11M to take on Saros or Saros + that's the trade off. You'd be getting a work horse 60+ game Vezina caliber guy, those guys get 7-8M if you want them.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
And was 6th, 3rd and 4th in Vezina voting the last three years. He's played exactly 350 games, if his size was going to be an issue it would have happened already.

Well if you're giving up Marner's 11M to take on Saros or Saros + that's the trade off. You'd be getting a work horse 60+ game Vezina caliber guy, those guys get 7-8M if you want them.

Yeah, I just don't want a $7-8m goalie... I don't think it's a recipe for success. I beleive the recipe for success is on the younger side, getting goalies to perform before they can command huge money.

I think it's also important to consider that it's not as simple as saying "better Saros at $8m than Mitch at $12m"... there's another option which is to have neither. Mitch's contract is done after this year, and if he's willing to move, there would be deals on the table that have their "value" in a guy like Saros, but also deals that have other potential future pieces.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Yeah, I just don't want a $7-8m goalie... I don't think it's a recipe for success. I beleive the recipe for success is on the younger side, getting goalies to perform before they can command huge money.

I think it's also important to consider that it's not as simple as saying "better Saros at $8m than Mitch at $12m"... there's another option which is to have neither. Mitch's contract is done after this year, and if he's willing to move, there would be deals on the table that have their "value" in a guy like Saros, but also deals that have other potential future pieces.

That's fair.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Why would Trotz of all people want a whiny loser like Marner? They just did a cleanse of the organization, and I can't imagine Schenn or ROR giving a good recommendation

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Nashville doesn't have the assets just from my perspective as a Toronto fan.

Saros is nice but he's 29 and you'll need to pay him at 30 years old for probably not his best years...and that costs what? 6.75-8.5M for 6-8 years? The last sub 6 foot goalie to win a cup was Tim Thomas.

Keep in mind the goaltending prospect portion of the pool looks fantastic - Woll needs to stay healthy, Hildeby is knocking on the door for NHL minutes and Akyamatov just won VHL playoff MVP & also looked good in his KHL call up.

The secondary pieces to fill the gap like a 1st, Wood etc all aren't that appealing.

I have to imagine another team could offer more.
You think there is a gap in value? Based on what? Saros straight up for Marner would be a good deal for the Leafs. You save 6M in cap. It would allow you to have more than 1 top 4 defenseman.

Yeah, don't get a goalie. Tampa winning back to back cups with their 10M guy sure proves that.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Why would Trotz of all people want a whiny loser like Marner? They just did a cleanse of the organization, and I can't imagine Schenn or ROR giving a good recommendation

Because if we aren't going to use our young guys and end up sending them down, waiving or trading them for scraps like Tolvanen, Tomasino or Parssinen we might as well get another star forward.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
You think there is a gap in value? Based on what? Saros straight up for Marner would be a good deal for the Leafs. You save 6M in cap. It would allow you to have more than 1 top 4 defenseman.

I don't think it's about arguing that Marner has more value than Saros, but rather, what would actually be in the Leafs best interests.

Saros' big value comes in the fact that he's an excellent goalie with a cap hit of $5m for this year.

His next contract has a great chance of being one that you regret almost immediately given the way goaltending is going in this league.

If you as the Leafs can admit that 2024-25 is probably not your year given the fresh extensions to Matthews & Nylander, and the final year of JT's deal; then why take all the value that Mitch Marner has, and use it all or mostly on a guy who's primary value is what he can do this year?

Yeah, don't get a goalie. Tampa winning back to back cups with their 10M guy sure proves that.

Thier first cup was won with Vasilevsky making $3.5m... .so no, they didn't win their back to back cups with a $10m guy.

They won 1 cup with a $10m guy in goal, and the way they did that was with Nikita Kucherov on the LTIR the entire season.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I don't think it's about arguing that Marner has more value than Saros, but rather, what would actually be in the Leafs best interests.

Saros' big value comes in the fact that he's an excellent goalie with a cap hit of $5m for this year.

His next contract has a great chance of being one that you regret almost immediately given the way goaltending is going in this league.

If you as the Leafs can admit that 2024-25 is probably not your year given the fresh extensions to Matthews & Nylander, and the final year of JT's deal; then why take all the value that Mitch Marner has, and use it all or mostly on a guy who's primary value is what he can do this year?

Thier first cup was won with Vasilevsky making $3.5m... .so no, they didn't win their back to back cups with a $10m guy.

They won 1 cup with a $10m guy in goal, and the way they did that was with Nikita Kucherov on the LTIR the entire season.
Marner is only signed to one more season too. But the number is 11M, not 5M.

Florida made is to the finals last year with Bob at 10M. Would you be surprised if they won the cup this year? The Leafs problem is they'll be paying 4 forwards 46.7M next year. That's 56% of the cap.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
If the Leafs trade Marner they can’t be picky as to the return they get. Marner holds little value because of his NTC. If Nashville offers them Askarov and another piece they should go for it IMO.

• Haha
Reactions: HockeyVirus

Subbanned

Nov 4, 2011
Slow, soft, cant shoot, and cant play playoff hockey. Empty stats. All the for low price of $11+ on next contract
Wow sure would love one of those regular 30 goal scorers that "can't shoot" on my team. Bonus that he's also one of the very best playmakers in the game and Selke level defense

Classic cap dump!

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007
If the Leafs trade Marner they can’t be picky as to the return they get. Marner holds little value because of his NTC. If Nashville offers them Askarov and another piece they should go for it IMO.
Well sure, but NSH will never offer Askarov. If they move Askarov it’s because they are committing big money to Saros, so they’ll look for low cost solutions not high cost ones like Marner.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Trading Marner for a goalie would be so stupid.

This years runaway Vezina winner (Hellebuyck) couldn't stop a beach ball in the playoffs. Last years Vezina winner isn't even the starter on his team anymore. Vasilevskiy was complete ass. Meanwhile, the cup winners last year were led by a random 3rd stringer and we have Silovs vs Pickard (who?) battling it out in the 2nd round. Sorokin looked like a world beater now he sucks.

Goaltending position is a total crap shoot these days. Gone are the days of stable, rock solid #1's like Brodeur, Roy, Belfour, Hasek, Joseph, etc.

We risk losing a 100 point winger who is good defensively just to potentially end up with yet another keeper with a .901 sv% and 3.08 gaa.

Anderson looked good for Toronto, then trash, now good again for Carolina. I have no faith in this position to be giving up a premium asset for it.

I'd have no more faith in Askarov or Sarros than I do in Woll next year.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad