Speculation: NSH interested in Marner

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
if I'm not mistaken, I'm pretty sure that I remember seeing that Moldendyk was held in pretty high regard by the Leafs brass at the draft so a deal with him involved could potentially work.
Considering how much Brunette liked him at training camp last season I kind of doubt they trade him. Brunette was ready to throw him in the line up last year rather than send him back. Trotz is the only reason that didn't happen.

Not saying they wouldn't, but I think he is a guy they are excited about and wouldn't be shocked he isn't in Nashville next year.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Askarov is pretty much the only player i'd be interested in from the Preds, have zero desire for Saros.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I feel like lots of people weirdly like it there , he will have his cowboy phase and release a country pop album
That's because country music today is just a facade in Nashville. It' something they sell more or less for the tourists, but Nashville and the surrounding areas offer a lot to players just like most bigger cities do but its not massive like a New York or LA. Plus the entire area is growing and changing. This area is completely different than it was 25 years ago when the team started.

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
Slow, soft, cant shoot, and cant play playoff hockey. Empty stats. All the for low price of $11+ on next contract
Eh, I love blind posters. You don’t watch leafs hockey if this is what you think Marner is haha, and it definitely shows.

He suffered a high ankle sprain so he he’s still injured (can take 1 year to fully heal), sure, but slow is not one and yeah, he can shoot as he’s hit 30 and 35 in a season (was on pace for 30 again this season). He’s also not a shoot-first player, but if he wanted 40 he’d hit it. Playoffs hockey is a different story, but that may be a change of scenery that is more necessary.

You do understand that the report in the OP has Nashville interested in Marner?
Reading comprehension is tough for some.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Eh, I love blind posters. You don’t watch leafs hockey if this is what you think Marner is haha, and it definitely shows.

He suffered a high ankle sprain so he he’s still injured (can take 1 year to fully heal), sure, but slow is not one and yeah, he can shoot as he’s hit 30 and 35 in a season (was on pace for 30 again this season). He’s also not a shoot-first player, but if he wanted 40 he’d hit it. Playoffs hockey is a different story, but that may be a change of scenery that is more necessary.
Empty calories player that is already slowing down. Watch playoff hockey and compare

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I do

Tkachuk had a year remaining, it came with an extension which got Calgary the value that it did.

People have 20/20 hindsight all of a sudden but Tkachul returned a 115 pt winger and a top pair RD

I expect Marner will do better than most would think

Before anyone brings up Tkachuk/Marner playoffs...Marner's PT/game in the playoffs is better than Tkachuk's was in Calgary.
The day Calgary traded Matthew Tkachuk, his only baggage was he may have done Calgary wrong a little. You found plenty of teams willing to pay a monster price for him.

Nobody in the league is confusing Marner with a franchise piece to build around. That’s just the plain truth of it.

Marner is a GM killer waiting to happen. You can’t play in the shadows making that kind of money. The expectations won’t allow it, and there’s nobody to hide behind going forward.

Guarantee there’s 20+ Managers who won’t even touch him right now. We’re either gonna see a very NOT market value trade, or they’re gonna find a sucker who thinks his job is very secure right now as a newer GM, that he’d make a trade he’ll end up regretting….

Like Ottawa doing something stupid and sending Brady and Chychrun for Marner and Liljegren. It’ll be the end of Staois before he even realizes it.

More likely though, it’ll be Trotz, Nill, Lou, Yzerman or someone else who never worries about their job. Possibly Colorado with the Nichushkin thing, and Sakic’s push to make it happen.

There’s just not gonna be managers willing to take him, knowing the money and baggage they have to deal with.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
Marner for Saros straight up, no retentions.

Leafs do this because they gain cap space for depth AND solve a major position of need.

Preds do this because Saros is a UFA, they have Askarov coming up AND they need non-grinding, highly talented offensive players. Their defensive structure is very sound.

Saros does this because he has a greater chance with Leafs and Matthews to compete for the cup, especially if the Leafs finally can add depth to their team.

Marner does this because he likes money. Even when Preds pay him only 8.7M he will still make the same as in Toronto after taxes. He doesn‘t screw up the cap if he gets paid according to his underperformance in the playoffs and his dropping numbers on a team like the Preds.

Leafs can find enough D depth in free agency. With Saros in net and Marner gone, good UFAs will want to go to Toronto to play with peak Matthews.

Preds add to a position of need while not losing that much from a position of strength. This very much depends how they value Askarov and if he is ready to play in the NHL.
Signing Saros will cost them north of 7M for the rest of the decade and blocks Askarov.

Reactions: EK392000

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
If the Leafs could get a deal in place where they don’t retain and don’t take back contracts they could then go after a UFA like Lindholm July 1. So in a round about way the trade would be Marner for prospects and picks and Lindholm and about 4 mil in cap space. Sure seems like a win for the Leafs.
But will Triliving make this kind of trade or go straight for players coming back, like he did with Tkatchuk?

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Call me crazy... but as a Leafs fan... I'm not all that interested in Saros.

Don't get me wrong, he's a very good goalie, but he only has 1 year left at $5m. I don't think the Leafs are poised to win next year with JT still on the books and Matthews/Nylander having fresh extensions, and I don't think you can win with $7m+ goaltending that Saros will want. You look at the remaining teams right now....

Skinner $2.6m, who's been replaced.
Demko at $5m, who's been injured.
Georgiev at $3.4m.
Oettenger at $4m.
Bobrovsky at $10m
Ullmark at $5m, who's been replaced.
Shesterkin at $5.7m
Andersen at $3.4m

To me, the interesting targets would be guys like Tommy Novak, Luke Evangelista and other prospects/picks.

Reactions: Americanadian

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
How many teams want/can take on 11 million for a winger. Of those teams how many does Mitch and his NTC want to go to.

He can decide he wants to go to Nashville and thats it. Toronto can keep him and go for it again this year and possibly lose him for nothing next year or take what they can get and the cap space.

They can pin a couple teams against eachother but who is that? Nashville and Chicago? Maybe Utah Anaheim or Seattle? Does he want to go there?

Well in general those things are linked right?

The idea that a team
The day Calgary traded Matthew Tkachuk, his only baggage was he may have done Calgary wrong a little. You found plenty of teams willing to pay a monster price for him.

Nobody in the league is confusing Marner with a franchise piece to build around. That’s just the plain truth of it.

Marner is a GM killer waiting to happen. You can’t play in the shadows making that kind of money. The expectations won’t allow it, and there’s nobody to hide behind going forward.

Guarantee there’s 20+ Managers who won’t even touch him right now. We’re either gonna see a very NOT market value trade, or they’re gonna find a sucker who thinks his job is very secure right now as a newer GM, that he’d make a trade he’ll end up regretting….

Like Ottawa doing something stupid and sending Brady and Chychrun for Marner and Liljegren. It’ll be the end of Staois before he even realizes it.

More likely though, it’ll be Trotz, Nill, Lou, Yzerman or someone else who never worries about their job. Possibly Colorado with the Nichushkin thing, and Sakic’s push to make it happen.

There’s just not gonna be managers willing to take him, knowing the money and baggage they have to deal with.

Elliotte Friedman. There are 29/31 teams that are interested in Marner

This guy

Gaurantees at least 20/31 have no interest.

Ooookay

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Call me crazy... but as a Leafs fan... I'm not all that interested in Saros.

Don't get me wrong, he's a very good goalie, but he only has 1 year left at $5m. I don't think the Leafs are poised to win next year with JT still on the books and Matthews/Nylander having fresh extensions, and I don't think you can win with $7m+ goaltending that Saros will want. You look at the remaining teams right now....

Skinner $2.6m, who's been replaced.
Demko at $5m, who's been injured.
Georgiev at $3.4m.
Oettenger at $4m.
Bobrovsky at $10m
Ullmark at $5m, who's been replaced.
Shesterkin at $5.7m
Andersen at $3.4m

To me, the interesting targets would be guys like Tommy Novak, Luke Evangelista and other prospects/picks.
Saris has been a Vezina caliber goalie every year but this one and he's only 29.

Evangelista should be off the table.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Getting a load of futures would be ideal for the Leafs, whether we want to admit it or not.

This team can retool and push with a different , younger roster - rather quickly.

Knies , Minten, Cowan
Add in D and G prospects.

Spend the cap on a better mix around Matthews/Nylander - led lines.

Reactions: PeE eL DuBoiS

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Does Nashville have a 2C / top 4 projected prospect? A lot of the good pieces seem to be on wing where Toronto also has incoming help.

I'm going to assume to maximize the return that Marner will give the green light on the location (waiving NMC) because he's willing to extend.

If he's a pure rental, yea - that limits the return.

Fully treating this as a guy that's moving on and will be extending where he lands at this point in time.
Him agreeing would certainly increase his return, but he actually has to agree to it. That alone will really limit who will even be in on him

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
Getting a load of futures would be ideal for the Leafs, whether we want to admit it or not.

This team can retool and push with a different , younger roster - rather quickly.

Knies , Minten, Cowan
Add in D and G prospects.

Spend the cap on a better mix around Matthews/Nylander - led lines.
If they’re blue chip prospects and can contribute to NHL lineup now, sure. But we can’t afford to wait for prospects to develop. You want as many kicks at the can as possible in order to win a cup. Waiting for a prospect to develop shortens than window and maybe you only get one kick at the can when they’re able to contribute alongside the current core.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
So Preds can continue to be punted early in the playoffs?

Marner will always do his thing and put up 100ish points, put fans in the seats and be a regular season wonder and also sell jerseys and for the owner BUT he will continue to always not show up in the playoffs

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
What’s the scouting report on Dante fabro? Would he be someone Nashville would be open to trade in a Marner trade?

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
If they’re blue chip prospects and can contribute to NHL lineup now, sure. But we can’t afford to wait for prospects to develop. You want as many kicks at the can as possible in order to win a cup. Waiting for a prospect to develop shortens than window and maybe you only get one kick at the can when they’re able to contribute alongside the current core.
Agreed.
Thinking of young players in the arc of Knies, but on D. Byram and Drysdale (pre trade) level dmen.

Reactions: EK392000

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
What’s the scouting report on Dante fabro? Would he be someone Nashville would be open to trade in a Marner trade?
Yeah I think Trotz would let him go. I mean as fans we've been bouncing our heads off walls but it doesn't matter who the coach is they don't want to play him. Guy is at least a decent #4 but he has played well with Josi, which is why it blows our minds that they don't play him. I could see him going to another team and coming alive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad