Speculation: NSH interested in Marner

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I do think Tre will be active in free agency. Even though he’s a UFA, Saros coming back also means 6 million in cap savings, which could very easily get you a top 6 forward or top 4 dman. Personally, I think Tre targets Lindholm, but he’ll need to spend more than the 6 million.
I honestly think Zadorov would be more of a target than Lindholm. If somehow the team can get Saros, Zadorov and maybe Stamkos and all it costs is say Marner and someone ike Jarnkrok that's a coup.

Reactions: EK392000

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I actually think it's a good fit for the parties assuming Marner waives.

Toronto really can't afford to re-sign him at a number higher than what he's on, plus change is needed anyway. Nashville, due to their fortunate tax situation, probably could re-sign him to 9.5-10ish and his take home would be higher than here.

As for the assets coming back, there are some interesting young players/prospects in Nashville, as well as lots of high picks over the next two drafts.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Which we still need more of, even though he's making so much.

True but I've seen years of Marner's soulless empty calorie play to think that he would not fit in.

Also ROR left the Leafs to get away from their loser core, this dude gonna be running for the hills lmao

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
Why wouldn’t the return for a dynamic playmaking 90+ point winger wow? I and other Leafs fan have been dragging him through the mud but he’s still an amazing player.

How many teams want/can take on 11 million for a winger. Of those teams how many does Mitch and his NTC want to go to.

He can decide he wants to go to Nashville and thats it. Toronto can keep him and go for it again this year and possibly lose him for nothing next year or take what they can get and the cap space.

They can pin a couple teams against eachother but who is that? Nashville and Chicago? Maybe Utah Anaheim or Seattle? Does he want to go there?

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaners PPGs

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Nashville is as good of a bet as any team that Marner would go to if he gets dealt this offseason. It's a team that needs offensive talent, can afford his cap hit and he'd likely waive for.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
How many teams want/can take on 11 million for a winger. Of those teams how many does Mitch and his NTC want to go to.

He can decide he wants to go to Nashville and thats it. Toronto can keep him and go for it again this year and possibly lose him for nothing next year or take what they can get and the cap space.

They can pin a couple teams against eachother but who is that? Nashville and Chicago? Maybe Utah or Seattle? Does he want to go there?
Yep. This is what it really comes down to. If he only chooses to waive for 1 team, it ties down the Leafs hands. Sure, they can choose to keep him for the 24-25 season but he could walk for free after anyway.

Also, I don't know how Marner's personality is. Will he want to come back if he is asked to agree to a trade but the trade doesn't happen?

Pebble live

Oct 17, 2021
Decent fit for Marner. I'm not sure the pred's have the assets to do it. Not talking about the asking price or value. Talking about what may make sense for the leafs. Soros at 29? Sure may work but leafs have multiple gaps they need to fill. Maybe they can get some picks they can flip. But I just don't see them being the best trading partners.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Marner is 12 months away from picking where he wants to play, without having that team subtract anything - not sure why he’d:
a) agree to go anywhere
b) if he does agree to A, why agree to sign anything?

Which leads to C.
c) doesn’t seem like the Leafs are going to get much for Marner

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
Decent fit for Marner. I'm not sure the pred's have the assets to do it. Not talking about the asking price or value. Talking about what may make sense for the leafs. Soros at 29? Sure may work but leafs have multiple gaps they need to fill. Maybe they can get some picks they can flip. But I just don't see them being the best trading partners.
I used to think this too and then I realized that Nylander is 28. We’ve been talking about the Leafs young core for so long that we didn’t realize they all aged and are now in the primes.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I'm not sure it does. Nashville probably wants to bring Askarov up next season. I could see them making Saros available for the right addition
Nashville is an older team so they better be damn sure Askarov is the answer. They'll also need to bring in a proven vet to play more than the average back-up. I like Lankinen but that's a lot to ask.

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
They can pin a couple teams against eachother but who is that? Nashville and Chicago? Maybe Utah Anaheim or Seattle? Does he want to go there?

A more important question would seem to be, of those other three teams you mentioned, would they even want him? I'm not sure about Seattle but Utah & Anaheim have no use for him at this time/wouldn't fit their rebuild schedule very well for the money it would cost. Nor would either probably want to give him a raise (that he's most likely going to demand) over his already inflated contract.

He may be willing to go somewhere, but that other team has to also want him in the first place, let alone be willing to give up anything somewhat significant to get him.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Would be interested to hear the conversation when management asks ROR his opinion on acquiring Mitch?? You can bet they would ask him before moving on any trade.

BTW, think we’re gonna see speculation about Nashville more than anyone else because of the goaltender angle, but teams don’t like handing wingers massive deals, and that’s what comes with acquiring Marner. Add in the baggage, and it’s a big ask to have a team pay with major assets, and cash, locking themselves into a player with the label he owns right now.

It’s the type of trade that gets you fired if it goes wrong. That’s why there’s not many managers who are gonna be prepared to make a deal for him. Lou, Yzerman, Barry, and a few others could weather the storm, but imagine being Rob Blake answering the phone?

It’s gonna be fun watching it play out. Think it’s fair to say Leaf fans have no idea what to expect return wise.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Marner is 12 months away from picking where he wants to play, without having that team subtract anything - not sure why he’d:
a) agree to go anywhere
b) if he does agree to A, why agree to sign anything?

Which leads to C.
c) doesn’t seem like the Leafs are going to get much for Marner
But, Marner is then limited to a 7 year term vs 8 years.
Jossi got $9.059 mill per over 8 years, thus like $73 mill vs the $8.8 Pietroangelo got in LV over 7 years, so like $62 mill. Even with different state taxes, that is a $11 mill difference. Both from the 2008 draft, so equal in age. Marner is 28 when his deal expires and never a certainty what happens down the line. Landy got his long term deal and missed the entire season this past year. Ellis, also hurt. So, getting the extra year is a win financially.

That's probably why he'd be fine to get traded.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Nashville is an older team so they better be damn sure Askarov is the answer. They'll also need to bring in a proven vet to play more than the average back-up. I like Lankinen but that's a lot to ask.

They may not have time to be damn sure that Askarov is the answer. Nashville has a big decision to make this offseason, as I don't think they can go into the season without Saros extended or traded.

For as good as Saros has been, Nashville has never won a playoff round with him as their starter. He's also going to eat up a significant amount of cap space after next season. For a team that's long been starved for offensive talent, if they can get Marner back in a deal for Saros that might not be a bad risk to take - especially when you're betting on a 22-year old former 11th overall pick that's played well since being drafted. Pair him with a veteran goalie in a split situation and hope he's ready to take the reigns by next April.

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad