TV: Night Court Reboot first look Jan 17th 2023 premier

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I do find one thing interesting. One of the first previews made clear who the mother was not but the scene that aired was reworked.

Moll has made it clear he has no interest in doing the show Marsha Warfield is still doing stand up and is open to do it

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
Is John Laraquette a full time cast member? He is mid 70’s and figured his character wouldn’t be working anymore? Maybe as a mentor to the new judge or something.
Yeah, you basically nailed it. Fielding is coaxed back by the new judge, after their current public defender takes off.
You can see Fielding is there to bridge the old series to new. I'm not sure if he's designed to stay permanently, or just until the new cast gets established. His character now is kind of a wise (but jaded) mentor.. they basically stayed away from the ol' meme of the perverted, sex obsessed Fielding (who would objectify every good looking woman).. different times now. I'll probably keep watching.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Yeah, you basically nailed it. Fielding is coaxed back by the new judge, after their current public defender takes off.
You can see Fielding is there to bridge the old series to new. I'm not sure if he's designed to stay permanently, or just until the new cast gets established. His character now is kind of a wise (but jaded) mentor.. they basically stayed away from the ol' meme of the perverted, sex obsessed Fielding (who would objectify every good looking woman).. different times now. I'll probably keep watching.
I like the fact they matured is Character.. JL enjoyed it at first but he said he grew to hate it in later years and stayed only because he loved the cast

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I like the fact they matured is Character.. JL enjoyed it at first but he said he grew to hate it in later years and stayed only because he loved the cast
They should evolve the character. From what I saw in the trailer Fielding’s character found love so those bachelor days are long past him.

At some point the defender position should go to someone permanently and allow the Fielding character to be more a mentor or friend than a co worker situation.

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
They should evolve the character. From what I saw in the trailer Fielding’s character found love so those bachelor days are long past him.
Yeah, I don't think they completely elaborated.. but when the judge goes to Fielding's apartment to coax him back to the courtroom.. Dan implies there was a lost love. Not sure if he's a widower, or just some way broken-hearted. I may have missed a scene.
It reminded me tho of the weird (original) story arc.. when they had an emotional Fielding dressed up like Phantom of the Opera, and he took Markie Post hostage. I know this is going back 30 years, but I remember it felt like a completely bizarre (character) direction for that series. But maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Yeah, I don't think they completely elaborated.. but when the judge goes to Fielding's apartment to coax him back to the courtroom.. Dan implies there was a lost love. Not sure if he's a widower, or just some way broken-hearted. I may have missed a scene.
It reminded me tho of the weird (original) story arc.. when they had an emotional Fielding dressed up like Phantom of the Opera, and he took Markie Post hostage. I know this is going back 30 years, but I remember it felt like a completely bizarre (character) direction for that series. But maybe I'm remembering wrong.
sounds like widowed by all the press stuff

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
sounds like widowed by all the press stuff
I watched episode 3 tonight.. there was a scene where Fielding explicitly stated his ex had died (and she was a recovering alcoholic). In the same conversation, the new judge was confessing to Dan that she also had been a heavy drinker.

Thought the third episode was ok.. John Laroquette is being asked to do a lot to start this series.. he & the judge have basically had all the series' meaningful rapport so far.. everything else has been fleeting (typical Night Court) gags.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I watched episode 3 tonight.. there was a scene where Fielding explicitly stated his ex had died (and she was a recovering alcoholic). In the same conversation, the new judge was confessing to Dan that she also had been a heavy drinker.

Thought the third episode was ok.. John Laroquette is being asked to do a lot to start this series.. he & the judge have basically had all the series' meaningful rapport so far.. everything else has been fleeting (typical Night Court) gags.
JL has been in AA for about 40 years now. He has been very open about it. Curious if it was his idea to add that.

The new night court did something the old one did not--nearly all the secondary actors in the new one are from a stand up back ground. In the original only the Judge and Selma Diamond came from a standup back ground. Night court.

The new guys are too quick to telegraph the punch line

Reactions: Babe Ruth

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
JL has been in AA for about 40 years now. He has been very open about it. Curious if it was his idea to add that.

The new night court did something the old one did not--nearly all the secondary actors in the new one are from a stand up back ground. In the original only the Judge and Selma Diamond came from a standup back ground. Night court.

The new guys are too quick to telegraph the punch line
In the sitcom The John Larroquette Show in the mid-90s, JL played a recovering alcoholic, and many of the early episodes focused on his AA meetings and struggles to get his life back together. I wasn't aware he had those issues in real life, but it would explain why they keep coming up in his shows.

I thought The John Larroquette Show was a very underrated series that seems to be forgotten today. AFAIK, it was never released on DVD and isn't available on streaming services.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
In the sitcom The John Larroquette Show in the mid-90s, JL played a recovering alcoholic, and many of the early episodes focused on his AA meetings and struggles to get his life back together. I wasn't aware he had those issues in real life, but it would explain why they keep coming up in his shows.

I thought The John Larroquette Show was a very underrated series that seems to be forgotten today. AFAIK, it was never released on DVD and isn't available on streaming services.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
I tried watching it,ouch! One and done?
That's what I thought after watching the first 2 episodes too but NBC just renewed the show for a 2nd season.

from hollywoodreporter.com:

NUP_197475_0114-H-2023.jpg

Following a strong start, Night Court is staying in session at NBC.

The network has picked up a second season of the comedy, a sequel to the 1984-92 series that stars The Big Bang Theory alum Melissa Rauch and John Larroquette. The show’s premiere delivered NBC’s biggest comedy audience in more than five years, and subsequent episodes have continued to put up decent numbers.

“It’s so rewarding to have audiences respond and return to a show in which they have such incredibly warm feelings, and, more broadly, it’s testament to how broadcast is still a huge driver of communal viewing,” said Lisa Katz, president scripted content at NBCUniversal Television and Streaming. “A huge thank you to our studio partners, a wonderful cast, incredibly talented writers and producers, and a crew that has transformed a lower Manhattan courtroom into a true family.”

Full story: ‘Night Court’ Earns Quick Season 2 Pickup at NBC

Reactions: Guardian17

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
That's what I thought after watching the first 2 episodes too but NBC just renewed the show for a 2nd season.

The show’s premiere delivered NBC’s biggest comedy audience in more than five years, and subsequent episodes have continued to put up decent numbers.

Saw this when I woke up today..
I am rooting for this series, but this renewal seems desperately naive(?)
NBC is acknowledging the series is benefitting from nostalgic curiosity.. but I feel like they're underestimating it here. The show hasn't been very funny, and that nostalgic hold is gonna wear out soon if the show doesn't get funny..
I do hope it improves & lasts..but I also envision as their ratings decline they could start resorting to lame efforts to reinvent a Bull character, nearly identical rewrites of old episodes, and other Hail-Mary attempts to retain their nostalgic audience.

Bahama Mama

Sunny days
Oct 12, 2022
Winding Bay

Following a strong start, Night Court is staying in session at NBC.

The network has picked up a second season of the comedy, a sequel to the 1984-92 series that stars The Big Bang Theory alum Melissa Rauch and John Larroquette. The show’s premiere delivered NBC’s biggest comedy audience in more than five years, and subsequent episodes have continued to put up decent numbers.

“It’s so rewarding to have audiences respond and return to a show in which they have such incredibly warm feelings, and, more broadly, it’s testament to how broadcast is still a huge driver of communal viewing,” said Lisa Katz, president scripted content at NBCUniversal Television and Streaming. “A huge thank you to our studio partners, a wonderful cast, incredibly talented writers and producers, and a crew that has transformed a lower Manhattan courtroom into a true family.”

Doesn't surprise me. There is so much garbage on tv that I have to wonder if it's the easiest time ever to get something on the air. Watching some random show I feel like I'm the only watching as I can't see anybody else watching,yet it gets renewed.How some shows got on the air in the first place is mind boggling,is there no review before it gets green-lighted?
Anyways,enough ranting from me,gotta get back to my Finding Bigfoot,it's just a matter of time.:help:

Reactions: habbubba

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
A second season usually isn't as expensive to shoot as all of the sets etc. have already been created.

You'll see shows get renewed after a single episode airs, that kind of thing.

To be fair, the vast majority of sitcoms and comedy shows in general take around three seasons to hit their stride.

I can only think of a couple that were pretty much at peak level in Season 1, like Arrested Development.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO

The Larroquette reruns started popping up as filler on one of the OTA sitcom-heavy channels a few months ago. Maybe it was strategic timing to help build a buzz for the NC reboot among us oldsters who still have rabbit ears (or a new-fangled version thereof). I'm still not buzzing.

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
The obvious Queue card reading by the DA is starting to get annoying
yeah.. and the cast really isn't funny. The stories are very simple (even by sitcom standards). I keep watching out of nostalgic obligation, but each episode is less funny than the previous.
Very low-level social justice messages in this week's episode(6),(ie- trashing public property is ok, if your heart is in the right place).

I will say because it is simple & clean, it's probably a good (but unfunny) watch for a young family.. I'm fading out tho.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
too many stand up comedians and not enough good actors

I still say they should have had Christine and Harry end up together and the death of her movie motivated her to become the night court judge

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad