NHL 94. twitter

RooBicks

Oct 12, 2020
South Park did a whole thing about this kind of situation, it's called member berries.
My 8 and 12 year olds still go through phases where they play the heck out of NHL 97 on an emulator and love it, despite having access to newer games as well. Great games come in many shapes and sizes - they got a lot right on the early NHLs. They weren't going for realism, they were going for fun, and they succeeded. It's not "rudimentary," it's arcade style fun.

Do you also enjoy shit talking Mario 3? The physics are pretty unrealistic... And only two buttons? How limiting!

You and the other guy need to chill.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
I'm experiencing serious Mandela effect... I vividly remember 94 being the game getting me into hockey as it was always Montreal vs LA as the default option for exhibition games. But I also remember hitting random a bunch of times and ending up with the Red Wings to start a season and making a bunch of trades to stack the shit out of them... Did I blur two games together?
Yes.

Unless you were playing on PC which I can't speak to.

On consoles NHL 95 was the first time you could trade, sign free agents, create a player, play a real regular season, etc.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
Did you know Ron Barr is a real person and not a fictional EA commentator?

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
I might as well ask if anyone knows a good emulator for NHL 2004. I was such a nerd about that game, I kept Excel spreadsheets with stats and everything. I also made Carlo Colaiacovo into a 30-goal scorer at one point, which was both entirely unrealistic but also make it very easy for me to remember how to spell "Colaiacovo" without needing a double check.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
My 8 and 12 year olds still go through phases where they play the heck out of NHL 97 on an emulator and love it, despite having access to newer games as well. Great games come in many shapes and sizes - they got a lot right on the early NHLs. They weren't going for realism, they were going for fun, and they succeeded. It's not "rudimentary," it's arcade style fun.

Do you also enjoy shit talking Mario 3? The physics are pretty unrealistic... And only two buttons? How limiting!

You and the other guy need to chill.

I'm pretty chill about it, I literally wrote one sentence saying member berries is a big factor about this particular game lol

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Prior to NHL 07, the 2k series had made serious inroads and was arguably a better NHL game. Then for NHL 07 EA introduced the skill-stick, which mapped stick-handling and shooting to the right analog stick. Instead of selecting from a narrow set of evasive animations (IIRC the standard options for the time where a generic deke, toe drag, and spin move) you could perform any number of movements, dekes, or simply reposition the puck relative to your skater as you wanted. In addition, shooting went from either a standard wrister or slap shot with the press or hold of the shoot button, to using movements and timing of the analog stick to perform any number of shots with greater influence on accuracy. Wanna hang out at the top of the dot with your stick in the air waiting for a teammate to pass you the puck, ala vintage Heatley, you could now do that.

Essentially, EA used the analog sticks to grant the player far greater control of their skater; functionally taking the puck handling off “rails” and allowing for greater skill and creativity to be rewarded. In subsequent versions the capabilities of the skill stick were expanded and refined and the same concept was brought to FIFA (EA FC). Once introduced it made “hit b to do THE toe-drag” feel like a toddlers toy. As far as gameplay quality of hockey video games goes there is before skill stick and after. It was that transformative.

IMO once EASHL was introduced in 2010 it was game over for NHL 2k. I spent way too many hours playing NHL 10,11,12, etc with friends until the wee hours of the morning. I’m pretty sure my actual career would be in a different place if I didn’t spend those years rolling in to work on like 3-4 hours of sleep multiple times a week. LOL.

I was a loyal ea sports customer but I found nhl 2005 to be kind of a joke. I switched to 2k5 that year and it was fine, but went back to ea in 2006, as I thought it was much better than 05.

You're right about the skill stick being a game changer in 07. That was amazing when it was first introduced. I felt like a kid again.

Reactions: jMoneyBrah

Ajex12x

Mar 18, 2023
I really liked the franchise building mode on the 2k series, grew up in the 90s ea stuff, but Hitz is my friend groups jam, so much fun. Still is

Reactions: OddyOh

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
I'm experiencing serious Mandela effect... I vividly remember 94 being the game getting me into hockey as it was always Montreal vs LA as the default option for exhibition games. But I also remember hitting random a bunch of times and ending up with the Red Wings to start a season and making a bunch of trades to stack the shit out of them... Did I blur two games together?
you could on the PC version of the game make trades, save your season (even on floppy disk and bring it up), you would have current season stats, a calender, etc...

I remember ridiculous Lemieux, Sakic, the whole Top 6 and MacInnis-Sutter 82 games season total, played that game quite a lot. You could make custom players has well.

And making custom team with a Mogilny-Lemieux-Hull first line, Roberts or Clark-Lindros-Cam Neely second line and so on.

You could have more than one player on the same season I think.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
The original ea hockey game was hilarious. You could get in fights with guys while they are celebrating a goal.

I also remember in playoff mode that they would show in game highlights of other series during the intermission. The little version of me thought that was so cool.

Those were great, even though all it was was having it so that any shot on net would be a goal. But one time I remember shots kept getting blocked or missing the net, and the highlight ended up as 4 minutes of back and forth play, my friend and I were watching it like a real game wondering who'd win like it was a real game.

Reactions: McRpro

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad