NHL 22 Discussion

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
How has the drafting been? I'm slowly in the processing of finishing up NHL18 (I know, I know), and it seems like the only kind of centerman type is either a Playmaker or a TWF. Never a Sniper or Grinder in my playing experience

MBrodeur

Mar 30, 2022
How has the drafting been? I'm slowly in the processing of finishing up NHL18 (I know, I know), and it seems like the only kind of centerman type is either a Playmaker or a TWF. Never a Sniper or Grinder in my playing experience

Not sure if it's improved as I haven't played Franchise a lot.

What I would always do is turn autosave off and save the game on September 12th each year. The draft class is generated on the 13th so I just press Advance Day and look at the draft class to see if the first round looks balanced with enough variation. If the draft is full of sniping wingers and not enough defensemen I just exit, reload back into the save and try again.

Sometimes I make sure there's an abundance of defensemen and maybe a goalie in the 1st round to force the game to be more balanced.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
A great deal of defensemen in the first round, and many TWFs and grinders in the later rounds, according to my experience in NHL 22.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Not sure if it's improved as I haven't played Franchise a lot.

What I would always do is turn autosave off and save the game on September 12th each year. The draft class is generated on the 13th so I just press Advance Day and look at the draft class to see if the first round looks balanced with enough variation. If the draft is full of sniping wingers and not enough defensemen I just exit, reload back into the save and try again.

Sometimes I make sure there's an abundance of defensemen and maybe a goalie in the 1st round to force the game to be more balanced.

I'll have to attempt this, I was never completely sure when the draft class truly started.

NHL18 is truly broken when it comes to Franchise Mode (unless it's just me?). All of the first rounders, top 10, top 5's are always from the WHL. It makes it pointless to scout the other leagues.

MBrodeur

Mar 30, 2022
I'll have to attempt this, I was never completely sure when the draft class truly started.

NHL18 is truly broken when it comes to Franchise Mode (unless it's just me?). All of the first rounders, top 10, top 5's are always from the WHL. It makes it pointless to scout the other leagues.

Yea that's why I save on the 12th of September so I can force the draft to be more realistic. Also helps me avoid seeing names like "Sidney Ovechkin" from North Korea go first overall :laugh:

Generally I make sure there's atleast 10 defensemen in the 1st round (with atleast a couple of them being top 10) because otherwise most teams will end up being very forward-heavy with Top 4 defensemen becoming very rare.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Yea that's why I save on the 12th of September so I can force the draft to be more realistic. Also helps me avoid seeing names like "Sidney Ovechkin" from North Korea go first overall :laugh:

Generally I make sure there's atleast 10 defensemen in the 1st round (with atleast a couple of them being top 10) because otherwise most teams will end up being very forward-heavy with Top 4 defensemen becoming very rare.
SIdney Ovechkin. :laugh:

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany

Somebody simulated Game 1 of the SC final and even the score was right. But looking at this video, it shows, how horrible the game looks imo. Unnatural animations, puck glued to stick, etc.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015

Somebody simulated Game 1 of the SC final and even the score was right. But looking at this video, it shows, how horrible the game looks imo. Unnatural animations, puck glued to stick, etc.

You're right. I wish the gameplay looks more realistic, even with goalie saves. However, if you look at the game from an overhead view, the skating looks a bit more realistic. I know, because I always play on an overhead view.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
I know this is nitpicky - and this applies to all sports video games, not just NHL - but every year I find myself wishing the crowds had more realistic behaviour. I could be on the losing end of a 10-0 blowout at home and the fans will still be packed into every single seat in the building, cheering after each minor play like it's the Stanley Cup clinching goal. I'd like to see the virtual fans streaming for the virtual exits, booing their team's lackluster performance, throwing jerseys onto the ice, even just sitting in stunned silence.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I know this is nitpicky - and this applies to all sports video games, not just NHL - but every year I find myself wishing the crowds had more realistic behaviour. I could be on the losing end of a 10-0 blowout at home and the fans will still be packed into every single seat in the building, cheering after each minor play like it's the Stanley Cup clinching goal. I'd like to see the virtual fans streaming for the virtual exits, booing their team's lackluster performance, throwing jerseys onto the ice, even just sitting in stunned silence.

AKA needs more waffles?

Reactions: Silencio

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
I haven't seen the fans exiting the arena, but when I was having a blowout game in the third period, I would see some empty seats in the arena, as opposed to the beginning of the game, when the crowd was packed.

NJDevilsFan21

Trade Everyone!!
Nov 10, 2006

I remember NHL 2000 had arenas where attendance was based on performance. Teams doing poorly had arenas half empty, and those doing well were packed.

That's about the closest to a realistic crowd we've ever had.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
I remember NHL 2000 had arenas where attendance was based on performance. Teams doing poorly had arenas half empty, and those doing well were packed.

That's about the closest to a realistic crowd we've ever had.
NHL 2005 also had it.

Some NHL 23 rumors...

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts

I haven't seen the fans exiting the arena, but when I was having a blowout game in the third period, I would see some empty seats in the arena, as opposed to the beginning of the game, when the crowd was packed.

What Vancouver said is true. If you're up by 5 or 6 goals in the 3rd, you can notice the crowd leaving as each goal is scored on. I've seen it happen so many times in NHL18 when I had the game in the background

Finnhockeyfann

Dec 5, 2015
I just dont understand idea of that coach line fit score. Lets say i get barkov to my team. Of course Barkov its first line center. But with him there score is -1. He dosent fit that line. He fit second line. Its so ****** dumb idea that that star player cant play on my first line because i have some stupid coach on team that just want play my first line with some strange strategy that he cant change! Maybe my coach could try change it when i get Barkov to my team. This line fit ***** just dosent make sense. Its not working like it should be.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
I just dont understand idea of that coach line fit score. Lets say i get barkov to my team. Of course Barkov its first line center. But with him there score is -1. He dosent fit that line. He fit second line. Its so ****** dumb idea that that star player cant play on my first line because i have some stupid coach on team that just want play my first line with some strange strategy that he cant change! Maybe my coach could try change it when i get Barkov to my team. This line fit ***** just dosent make sense. Its not working like it should be.
Yes it’s so annoying! Also I hate how I can see if my prospects fit the style. If I’m trading a prospect of same value I would rather trade the one that doesn’t fit on any of my lines.

Reactions: CourtneyDagger50
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
please tell me Franchise Mode ends differently than a generic: ‘Franchise Mode is complete’ prompt on the newer versions.

a little back story: i finally had time to put the effort in completing Franchise Mode in NHL18 since the birth of my son and getting married. At the start of the (unknowingly) last year, a Franchise right wing TWF appeared. Put all my time and effort trying to accumulate picks (grabbed potentially 3 out of the 5), and scouting the guy. I played the Stanley Cup final, was looking forward to drafting this player, and then…!

‘Franchise Mode is complete‘

I never was so heartbroken with myself lol. I for sure thought the game ended in 2043 rather than 2042. After the prompt comes up, your not allowed to check anything. Not the draft class, contracts, etc.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I will say this season is definitely a step in the right direction... However... It's still the only sports game without a connected franchise and it's not okay. There's no excuse for it.

Reactions: John Price

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
please tell me Franchise Mode ends differently than a generic: ‘Franchise Mode is complete’ prompt on the newer versions.

a little back story: i finally had time to put the effort in completing Franchise Mode in NHL18 since the birth of my son and getting married. At the start of the (unknowingly) last year, a Franchise right wing TWF appeared. Put all my time and effort trying to accumulate picks (grabbed potentially 3 out of the 5), and scouting the guy. I played the Stanley Cup final, was looking forward to drafting this player, and then…!

‘Franchise Mode is complete‘

I never was so heartbroken with myself lol. I for sure thought the game ended in 2043 rather than 2042. After the prompt comes up, your not allowed to check anything. Not the draft class, contracts, etc.

Same with me. You put a lot of time in the game building a franchise with all the up and downs and then they basically tell you f*** of the game has ended. What a huge way to show that they dont care about the game. The worst is that there was game, I think NHL 14 or 12, where the game ended and the owner gave you an futuristic car as a goodbye present. So they had something in the game already and made it worse.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Same with me. You put a lot of time in the game building a franchise with all the up and downs and then they basically tell you f*** of the game has ended. What a huge way to show that they dont care about the game. The worst is that there was game, I think NHL 14 or 12, where the game ended and the owner gave you an futuristic car as a goodbye present. So they had something in the game already and made it worse.

I know in NHL 2004 - after you finish they give you a mansion LOL.

But yeah. Overall it sucks. It was my first time actually seeing a 'Franchise' player at the start of the year with the draft class. I think the Franchise tag was only given to 3 players in my save, but it was never billed like that during the preseason draft class. I acquired 2 out of the 3 through the course of a year and a half playing :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: Sevendust

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad