Speculation: Next head coach of the San Jose Sharks

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Why does it take us so long to hire a coach? Feel like even when Quinn was hired, every other opening was filled before we settled on Quinn. And this time again, every other team is filling their vacancy while we are still looking? Granted it seems like the top candidates for us are Sturm and Warsofsky who are still available. Although that makes me question why aren't other teams interested in them.

But still, how come every other team moves on from a coach and finds a replacement pretty quickly, while we just sit here in limbo for weeks and months?
Guessing all involved want to know the team’s composition for next year, which would be highly dependent on what Smith and Celebrini elect to do. That will have ripple effects to the Sharks’ strategy for free agency.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Why not just hire Sturm as HC and give Warsofsky a big raise to stay on as associate? It's not like Hasso doesn't have the money.
They probably both just want to be head coaches and run their own team. I think Sturm actually said he'll only be a HC next year. Warsofsky might also think he's ready. Whether it be in the NHL or maybe AHL elsewhere, it's gotta be nice being the boss.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
They probably both just want to be head coaches and run their own team. I think Sturm actually said he'll only be a HC next year. Warsofsky might also think he's ready. Whether it be in the NHL or maybe AHL elsewhere, it's gotta be nice being the boss.
But the Sharks are the only team with a current vacancy so Warsofsky doesn't have any leverage here.

• Wow

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California
But the Sharks are the only team with a current vacancy so Warsofsky doesn't have any leverage here.
That might change soon. With Don Waddell taking over in Columbus, there are rumors of Vincent being let go of. Waddell should be very familiar with Warsofsky from their time together in Carolina.

Reactions: Sharkz4Fun

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
That might change soon. With Don Waddell taking over in Columbus, there are rumors of Vincent being let go of. Waddell should be very familiar with Warsofsky from their time together in Carolina.

That doesn't mean much. The Hurricanes wanted Warsofsky fired for playing Lyon over Hurricanes prospect Kochetkov in the AHL playoffs. Waddell probably doesn't like the guy. If anything, the fact that Warsofsky stood up to the Canes to coach the team to win games makes him even more favorable in my eyes. And probably why Grier interviewed him for HC back in 2022 and sold him on becoming an AC in 2022 after losing the job to Quinn.

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California
That doesn't mean much. The Hurricanes wanted Warsofsky fired for playing Lyon over Hurricanes prospect Kochetkov in the AHL playoffs. Waddell probably doesn't like the guy. If anything, the fact that Warsofsky stood up to the Canes to coach the team to win games makes him even more favorable in my eyes. And probably why Grier interviewed him for HC back in 2022 and sold him on becoming an AC in 2022 after losing the job to Quinn.
Oh that’s some solid insight! I hadn’t heard that before. I appreciate you sharing, @ChompChomp 👍

ChompChomp

Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Oh that’s some solid insight! I hadn’t heard that before. I appreciate you sharing, @ChompChomp 👍
Sure thing. Some background:

Really the end of the Wolves affiliation with the Canes is due, in large part, to Warsofsky coaching the team to win in the playoffs (as you should).

ChompChomp

Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Before we get a decision, time to remind people of the resume of one Ryan Warsofsky. This was discussed a few years ago.

He's currently 36 years old, will be 37 in October. Broke into professional coaching with the South Carolina Stingrays of the ECHL as AC at age 26. As AC, Rays lost the finals in 14-15. After three seasons as AC, promoted to HC and Director of Hockey Ops. Took the Rays to 2017 ECHL finals as an HC.

In 18-19, went to Charlotte Checkers of AHL as AC. That Checkers team won AHL Championship. Next season he was promoted to HC. Year after that (20-21), he was named HC of Chicago Wolves of the AHL, and won the championship there in 21-22.

After this rise through the ranks of ECHL and AHL, in the summer of 2022 Warsofsky was a hot name for a potential NHL HC position. He interviewed with several teams, including the Sharks. Did not get offered an HC position, but accepted Grier's offer to be an NHL AC. This offseason he has reportedly interviewed with the Sharks twice for the HC spot. Also rumored to have interviewed for the Devils HC gig this offseason.

Last edited:

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California
Before we get a decision, time to remind people of the resume of one Ryan Warsofsky. This was discussed a few years ago.

He's currently 36 years old, will be 37 in October. Broke into professional coaching with the South Carolina Stingrays of the ECHL as AC at age 26. As AC, Rays lost the finals in 14-15. After three seasons as AC, promoted to HC and Director of Hockey Ops. Took the Rays to 2017 ECHL finals as an HC.

In 18-19, went to Charlotte Checkers of AHL as AC. That Checkers team won AHL Championship. Next season he was promoted to HC. Year after that (20-21), he was named HC of Chicago Wolves of the AHL, and won the championship there in 21-22.

After this rise through the ranks of ECHL and AHL, in the summer of 2022 Warsofsky was a hot name for a potential NHL HC position. He interviewed with several teams, including the Sharks. Did not get offered an HC position, but accepted Grier's offer to be an NHL AC. This offseason he has reportedly interviewed with the Sharks twice for the HC spot. Also rumored to have interviewed for the Devils HC gig this offseason.
So is it safe to assume you’d like Warsofsky to be the new HC?

• Wow

ChompChomp

Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
So is it safe to assume you’d like Warsofsky to be the new HC?

That wasn't the intent of my post. My post was intended to remind people why Warsofsky was the bright new young coaching mind before becoming Sharks AC. Especially if he is named HC and many people here are going to rage because it is not Sturm.

The way I see it:

Who I think should be HC: any of Warsofsky, Sturm, Halpern, Todd Nelson, David Carle

Who I think will be HC: Warsofsky

Who I don't think should be HC: Blashill, Colliton

ChompChomp

Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Fun video from a practice back in Warsofsky's Wolves HC days:

When Warsofsky was hired as Sharks AC, there was a locker room video on twitter posted here that people joked was very Ted Lasso-esque. I went back to that thread, but unfortunately, the tweet was deleted and I can't find the video again.

I want to also add one interesting fact: Warsofsky coached the PK for SJ. I throw out last year because it had so many injuries and a dismantled lineup. But in 22-23, the Sharks had the 8th best PK in the league. I'm sure naysayers will just chalk that up to the team having a bunch of 4th liners, but you have to give Warsofsky his due there.

(He's also a Boston area guy, born 30 miles from Boston in Mass)

Last edited:

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Fun video from a practice back in Warsofsky's Wolves HC days:

When Warsofsky was hired as Sharks AC, there was a locker room video on twitter posted here that people joked was very Ted Lasso-esque. I went back to that thread, but unfortunately, the tweet was deleted and I can't find the video again.

I want to also add one interesting fact: Warsofsky coached the PK for SJ. I throw out last year because it had so many injuries and a dismantled lineup. But in 22-23, the Sharks had the 8th best PK in the league. I'm sure naysayers will just chalk that up to the team having a bunch of 4th liners, but you have to give Warsofsky his due there.

If Warsofsky gets the job I think you should hold out for at least 15% of his contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad