1715812657553.png

NjDevsRR

Hard To Find
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
And you think that is the norm?? Outlier
Cmon
You were the one that said it was “hard to find” when it’s literally something that takes five seconds of thought to think of. I am sure I could find other examples as well but I will leave it at that.

Edit: I have some time, lets play this game.

2009: Fleury wasn’t great, was below avg that postseason out of the playoffs goalies

2010: Niemi was below avg

I am sure I can find a few more in the last two decades. Yes, doesn’t happen often but it’s not hard to find. Teams can indeed win without good goaltending. Look at some of the goalies in the Cup Finals that almost won championships. Those Flyers goalies in 2010, Marty in 2012, etc etc.

Last edited:

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
You were the one that said it was “hard to find” when it’s literally something that takes five seconds of thought to think of. I am sure I could find other examples as well but I will leave it at that.
Name two teams in the past year that won a Stanley Cup. Betcha can't, betcha can only find like one outlier.
Cmon

Last edited:

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Wow I never realized that the concept of the ‘new coach bump’ was something that analytic types can’t wrap their heads around. You seem to lump this in with the concept of santa claus.
I consider a new coach bump to last maybe 30 or 40 games. When Berube got to the playoffs the honeymoon phase was over. Certain types around here seem to act like he didn’t deserve to win a cup because they can’t make sense of the numbers. To say he won because the goalie was good is disingenuous. Hard to find a cup winning team that didn’t have good goaltending.
Berube is a Stanley Cup champion and nobody can take that away.
When Berube left the team they again had a new coach bump. They were probably due for a change. Coaches have a shelf life. We will see how Mr Bannister does over the course of a full season
No of course it exists. Most of the time coaches don't get fired mid-season when things are average. Usually it's when a team has not met expectations or has just hit absolute rock bottom. The margins between good and bad teams in this league are quite fine, so you naturally expect a regression to the mean at some point (+players realize there will be real consequences). My point is that the new coach bump didn't even really happen there. They continued to tread water and were still below .500 for a month and a half after Berube took over. It wasn't until Bennington came along and rattled off a 24-5-1 record with a sky high save percentage that their season actually turned around.

I'm not saying Berube gets no credit for any of it, and I actually don't even think he's a bad candidate. But to anoint him as the only option because he won a cup 6 years ago is absurdly more disingenuous than anything I said. You're completely ignoring all other context to these coaches' previous performances.

HersheyBob27

Apr 5, 2014
Canada
From the king of cherry pickers ^

Anyways, here you go.

MAF 2009
Niemi 2010
Keumper 2022

All avg to below avg out of those years playoff goalies ^

Thats 3 of the last 15. Something that happens 20% of the time is not something that is “hard to find”. Take the L and carry on

Edit: Actually, Binnington was 10th out of 19 in save percentage out of the playoff goalies in that cup year (which helps your Berube argument, but not this argument)

So, 4 out of 15 with average to below average playoff goaltending that won Cups. Thats 26% of the time since 2009.
Wait .. so now you are telling me that Berube won his cup with sub standard goaltending

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Berube won a cup taking over a team mid-season with a goaltender who played out of his mind during that time. His coaching record outside of that one season is pretty much junk. He’s literally had zero success otherwise.

By contrast, Keefe has a half a decade track record of somehow making a shoddy no-name defense highly effective in its own end despite having shit goaltenders, and making an overall poorly constructed top heavy roster consistent division leaders. Yeah they’ve also consistently melted down in the playoffs but what do you expect from a poorly built team whose biggest stars appear to be mental midgets in the playoffs and don’t have any depth to make up for it?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

2009: Fleury wasn’t great, was below avg that postseason out of the playoffs goalies

I am sure I can find a few more in the last two decades. Yes, doesn’t happen often but it’s not hard to find. Teams can indeed win without good goaltending. Look at some of the goalies in the Cup Finals that almost won championships. Those Flyers goalies in 2010, Marty in 2012, etc etc.
2014 Quick wasn't anything special either.

2012? Yes. 2014? He was just whatever.

Actually, 2019 Binnington wasn't even really all that great in the playoffs. He certainly was in the regular season, but he was just okay in the playoffs. That may validate the opinion that Berube was amazing though lol.

Most recently we had 2022 Darcy Kuemper, who may have played as poorly as any cup winning starting goalie in a very long time. Probably worse than 2009 Fleury, definitely worse than 2010 Niemi and absolutely worse than 2014 Quick.

And as far as some of the goalies in the finals that almost won championships, one really recent rando was Anton Khudobin in 2020. Now, I'm not saying Khudobin was pedestrian in those playoffs, he wasn't. But that's a name that will probably be most often forgotten among cup finals goalies over the last 15 years or so? Probably since the 2010 Flyers duo? Not to mention that he was considerably up there in age when he went to the finals as a starting goaltender.

Bobrovsky/Hill, Kuemper/Vasilevskiy, Vasilevskiy/Price, Vasilevskiy/?, Binnington/Rask, Holtby/Fleury, Murray/Rinne, Murray/?, Crawford/Bishop, Quick/Lundqvist, Crawford/Rask, Quick/Brodeur, Thomas/Luongo, Niemi/??

The question marks would be Khudobin, Martin Jones and the tag team of Leighton/Boucher. All of them are very easy to forget for the average hockey fan with a better than average memory.

I have a feeling Adin Hill would have been another question mark if not for winning the cup.

I think only the Flyers duo are more random of names than Khudobin and there were two of them those playoffs. I think Leighton was the only one to start in the finals though.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

And average goalies can also get hot like Thompson last year, Binnington for Berube or even a guy like Chris Osgood way back when.

NjDevsRR

Hard To Find
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
The logic here has been wild.

“Hard to find” Cup winners without good goaltending

*Shows him 4 examples in the last 15 years*

He ignores the results.

Says Berube got a coach bump, but then won the Cup after said coach bump expired according to his arbitrarily written games played max for a coach bump which makes the cup win more important (lmao), while deeming other coach bumps meaningless.

*Attacks everyone for pointing out how illogical all of this is*

An absolute masterclass in the last few pages. Bravo, 10 out of 10 Danos.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Wait .. so now you are telling me that Berube won his cup with sub standard goaltending

I wouldn’t say substandard goaltending, there was a lot of good goaltending that year.

It’s not a league wide stats contest, the only two teams’ goalies compete each round.

Round 1: STL won a close 6 game series vs Winnipeg.
Away team won every game until STL won Game 6.
16 GF vs 16 GA
Hellebuyck .913 vs Binnington .908

Round 2: STL won a close 7 game series vs Dallas.
18 GF vs 17 GA (1 EN GA)
Bishop .922 vs Binnington .922

WCF: Sharks went up 2-1 and then imploded in 6 game series.
Well, Martin Jones imploded and Karlsson, Pavelski & Hertl were injured.
23 GF vs 15 GA (1 EN GA)
Jones .869 vs Binnington .912

SCF: Physical up and down 7 game series with injuries galore.
19 GF (1 EN GF) vs 22 GA (3 EN GA)
Rask .912 vs Binnington .912 &
Allen .750 (25 min in 7-2 L, 1 GA)

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I actually defended Berube when the Blues fired him and wondered why he was being fired for, if they weren't just gonna blow the thing to smithereens.

The roster didn't look like something that could compete as anything better than a bubble team.

But I also think there's better choices.

Reactions: HersheyBob27
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad