News Article: New fan to hockey loses his mind on twitter over Blues vs Black Hawks gm 7

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
:laugh: I posted this in the Blues discussion thread, but I definitely think it warrants it's own thread. One of the greatest things I've ever read :laugh:

I think we need to give a warning that there is profanity in the article. It's nothing terrible, but it would be censored on the site.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Broken link due to filtered profanity in the URL. Closed for now. Local mods will let you know if a replacement is ok, or if you should seek out the video outside of HF.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Seems like a set up prank. Guy looking for attention and it worked. Kid makes a racist statement and the Blues offer him free tickets?

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Seems like a set up prank. Guy looking for attention and it worked. Kid makes a racist statement and the Blues offer him free tickets?

Did you read his tweets or just making assumptions. He went to FSMW to watch the Cards game and saw how intense the game was so decided to stick around and watch it. Hockey isn't exactly huge in the African-American community. After the Blues offered him tickets he asked "Will I need to bring a jacket? It has to be cold with all of that ice."

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Plus that wasn't a racist comment. He was clearly joking lol.

And it wasn't set up either, there's no way that guy could have predicted that tweet would get over 31,000 retweets. I don't even think he had THAT many followers before that tweet.

Hilarious stuff. I found it right after the game and was dying reading them.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
I bet you're fun at parties.

aXuiPaW.gif

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Good move on the Blues part. If they go deeper, this could be a feel good story. Plus, it'll endear the city even more to the Blues in light of the Rams leaving.

Even if it's a PR move, it's a good one.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Now it gets even better. Luongo had a brief, but hilarious exchange with this guy. The guy tweeted at Lu that he heard Luongo has top 5 peripheral vision. Lu just responded, "don't watch the 2011 SCF." :biglaugh:

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I gotta say, I thought this guy was hilarious the night I found him but I'm pretty shocked he's gotten THIS big. I mean, being interviewed by Michael Strahan on Good Morning America? I did not see that coming.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I gotta say, I thought this guy was hilarious the night I found him but I'm pretty shocked he's gotten THIS big. I mean, being interviewed by Michael Strahan on Good Morning America? I did not see that coming.

I followed him on Twitter for like 12 hours. This story is great, but I'm kinda over it already :laugh:

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I followed him on Twitter for like 12 hours. This story is great, but I'm kinda over it already :laugh:

The bigger significance is that this is a metaphor for the casual fan. Its getting coverage in wider generic sports reporting. I think when a St Louis casual fan hears about this, they can identify with the guy, recognize the enthusiasm and realize, "Oh, St Louis is in the playoffs. What did they do? Oh wow, they beat the defending champs Chicago? When's the next game?" And maybe a few more watch it.

I like that St Louis was quick to respond to the opportunity. Contrast that with how Arizona managed to maneuver themselves out of having an all-star representative, when they could have had the biggest hockey story of the regular season on their front porch (with John Scott).

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
The bigger significance is that this is a metaphor for the casual fan. Its getting coverage in wider generic sports reporting. I think when a St Louis casual fan hears about this, they can identify with the guy, recognize the enthusiasm and realize, "Oh, St Louis is in the playoffs. What did they do? Oh wow, they beat the defending champs Chicago? When's the next game?" And maybe a few more watch it.

I like that St Louis was quick to respond to the opportunity. Contrast that with how Arizona managed to maneuver themselves out of having an all-star representative, when they could have had the biggest hockey story of the regular season on their front porch (with John Scott).

Yeah, it's a great story. I'm glad more of St. Louis is getting interested in hockey. I am obviously biased, but I really don't understand what is not to like about hockey. It has speed, finesse, physicality, strategy, creativity etc. I really don't understand it :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad