Music: New Brand New Single - "I Am A Nightmare"

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I listened to "The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me" the other day and I really don't get the critical appeal of this band. They sound very generic (and similar to other bands that seem to get more flack than praise) to me, yet I keep seeing it show up on top lists.

Last edited:

member 51464

Have you listened to Deja Entendu? I think that was the record that they got big off of.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Eh. Wasn't overly impressed, although I am encouraged from the three songs that have been released/played live that this album will be more cohesive than Daisy, which had a number of individual songs I like more than this, but never felt like a cohesive album.

Almost got an Alkaline Trio vibe from this song, honestly. Probably my least favorite new song I've heard so far.

invictus said:
Have you listened to Deja Entendu? I think that was the record that they got big off of.

Eh, it was certainly the album they got big off of, but I think opinion's pretty divided on which one is better. Personally The Devil and God is my favorite by a considerable margin - and on short trips I'll usually throw in Daisy before Deja Entendu as well (sacrilege, I know :sarcasm:)

As for sounding generic....well going to Déjà from The Devil and God is going towards their more radio friendly "generic" music so I don't think that's going to help if his complaint is that Devil and God is too generic. I don't understand that criticism whatsoever, but to each their own. Certain genres of music sound exactly to same to me, too. Perhaps they're just not for you.

For me, I think their songwriting is superlative. The way Sowing Season morphs from a song about someone's life careening out of control on TDAGIRIM to an optimistic song when played acoustically without changing a single word (well, okay, they changed the last "it's coming to an end" to "winter's coming to an end") is fantastic.

Their albums also tend to tackle more weighty topics than your traditional pop-punk / post-hardcore (whatever you want to classify them as), starting with Déjà and intensifing on their Leaked Demos and Devil and God.

Actually, if Devil and God didn't do it for you, the leaked demos might be more up your alley. Much more stripped down - Nobody Moves is really the only song I can think of that gets loud, and that's an awesome song in it's own right.

Last edited:

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
IDK, some of the bands that get their own dedicated thread around here... Brand New are one of the bigger rock acts around.

Brand New has a huge cult following that I see all over the internet and especially on message boards (which is an idea that usually trends more toward counter culture). They are very much internet/indie darlings and rightfully so.

To join the Deja/Devil debate...I possibly couldn't decide and it will definitely fluctuate on my mood. If I'm with people I'll usually go with Deja though.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Both Deja and Devil are brilliant and I flip flop daily on which one I find better.

I encourage everyone to take this to the pop-punk thread (self-promoting own thread :sarcasm:)

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Really dig the opening riff. Much bigger and catchier than any other riff that comes to mind, except maybe Jude Law or Jesus. If this is the direction the new album's gonna take, I'm excited. Can't wait to see 'em June 11.

vdB

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto
Wowwww this is so good.

Thanks for making a thread for it, it grabbed my attention. Otherwise I woulda heard it months from now probably.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
I like them...but also can't deny that they are vastly overrated by many.

Especially on said message boards.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
I listened to "The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me" the other day and I really don't get the critical appeal of this band. They sound very generic (and similar to other bands that seem to get more flack than praise) to me, yet I keep seeing it show up on top lists.

I've never heard them but I would have fell out of my chair if you liked them. There's just no way.

Gordon Lightfoot

Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
You're completely right, but I'm curious how that works without having ever heard them? You mean just based on reputation/fans?

Yes, pretty much. They're described as a pop punk band. A modern-ish one. Possibly "mall punk". (Though I'm just guessing at that label) Shirts probably sold at Hot Topic. Just doesn't add up.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Yes, pretty much. They're described as a pop punk band. A modern-ish one. Possibly "mall punk". (Though I'm just guessing at that label) Shirts probably sold at Hot Topic. Just doesn't add up.
Got it. Honestly, I have no idea what image bands have-- I just keep seeing it show up on "best of" lists and assumed it was a classic of some sort.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY

Not even close. Try not to generalize bands without ever hearing them. You might be able to categorize their very first album like that, but everything they've released since then is closer to post-hardcore or old school emo (see: Sunny Day Real Estate) than pop-punk.

"Mall punk" :shakehead:

Gordon Lightfoot

Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Not even close. Try not to generalize bands without ever hearing them. You might be able to categorize their very first album like that, but everything they've released since then is closer to post-hardcore or old school emo (see: Sunny Day Real Estate) than pop-punk.

"Mall punk" :shakehead:

That's 110% fair. I did say I could be totally wrong about that. I'm definitely open to giving any band a fair shot.

What's their highest regarded album?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad