Prospect Info: NCAA free agents

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Have the Isles ever signed the top college free agent? I feel like we always end up with the guys ranked further down.

I see #8 on the list in the article is Parker Ford, a Center from Lou's alma mater, Providence. And it describes him as not a top offensive performer. I think that's our guy!

Any chance Ben Meyer idolizes Zach Parise and signs with the Isles to play with him? He sounds like a clone of Parise from the profile.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Have the Isles ever signed the top college free agent? I feel like we always end up with the guys ranked further down.

I see #8 on the list in the article is Parker Ford, a Center from Lou's alma mater, Providence. And it describes him as not a top offensive performer. I think that's our guy!

Any chance Ben Meyer idolizes Zach Parise and signs with the Isles to play with him? He sounds like a clone of Parise from the profile.
Does Jason Krog count?

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Do these guys ever work out? Don't they always end up like Vesey or am I misremembering?

Without any examples poppining into my mind, I think the ones that do pan out to some degree are kids who aren't signed for a scoring role, but rather seem to fulfill a lower line role in a very solid manner, particularly #5/6/7 Dmen.

Maybe Grant Hutton will end being an example of this?

Last edited:
Reactions: PK Cronin

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Okay, I looked it up. Here are some college UFAs who turned out okay (assuming the sources were correct about their status):

Adam Oates
Ed Belfour
Joe Mullen
Dan Boyle
Martin St. Louis
Blake Wheeler
Kevin Hayes
Justin Schultz
Danny DeKeyser
Tyler Bozak
Torey Krug
Chris Kunitz
Andy Greene!
Teddy Purcell

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island

I would love to see them sign a top college free agent this year to help beef up our prospects -

I really like what I’ve read about Meyers and Livingstone - anyone see these guys up close?

I’ve been saying this a lot, at least create some depth and perhaps catch something even if it ends up being a bottom six forward or backup goalie etc.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I’ve been saying this a lot, at least create some depth and perhaps catch something even if it ends up being a bottom six forward or backup goalie etc.

There's definitely no harm in bringing them in, I just don't want to get my hopes up.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Okay, I looked it up. Here are some college UFAs who turned out okay (assuming the sources were correct about their status):

Adam Oates
Ed Belfour
Joe Mullen
Dan Boyle
Martin St. Louis
Blake Wheeler
Kevin Hayes
Justin Schultz
Danny DeKeyser
Tyler Bozak
Torey Krug
Chris Kunitz
Andy Greene!
Teddy Purcell

I believe Kevin Hayes was drafted and chose not to sign with the Hawks and became a FA

Reactions: doublechili

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

Funny, I also got a lot Parise vibes from how he described Meyers.

Reactions: doublechili

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Do these guys ever work out? Don't they always end up like Vesey or am I misremembering?

One popped into my mind Saturday and admittedly in conjunction with what I wrote above about these kind of players usually helping admirably in a lower line capacity, if they're at all successful.

Andy Greene.

Signed a 2-year contract as a UFA coming off a Hobey Baker award finalist season with Miami back in 2006.

I'd say he's worked out as a successful NHLer in this capacity.

Others include Nate Schmidt, Neal Pionk, Alex Iafallo, Brandon Tanev, Cam Talbot, and Nico Sturm.

Last edited:

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
The more I think about it, there are a few college UFAs this spring who do look like guys Lamoriello might go after...

Meyers, McLaughlin, and Livingstone would be fairly obvious, maybe Ford (Providence) too, but they'll be garnering the most interest. I'd like to say that the Isles may have an inside track on Meyers as he did attend their prospect camp in his draft year. But teams have been plying for his services all along. Now he was at the Olympics.

He and McLaughlin seem to best fit that Lamoriello mould. And both can play up the middle.

- Owen Sillinger is having a big offensive season and is, well, Mike Sillinger's son. And you notice this the second you see him play. Just under average in size, but capable in all three zones.
- Brandon Scanlin is a very large offensive Dman with skating deficiencies who still gets a ton done. Plays with NYI freshman Cameron Berg.
- Taylor Ward is a righty shot from Omaha as well and is a real shooter, from everywhere. He's a PP guy. Very good size.
- Derek Daschke is a well-built two-way Dman who is coming from UofMiami. Familiar grounds.
- Declan Carlile is another good sized, left side Dman and plays for Merrimack. Gotta think our scouts are familiar with him.
- Julian Napravnik has been scoring for several years. Plenty of flaws, but has offensive flair and gets better every year while constantly putting up points. Possesses creativity elements not currently in abundance in the system.
- Drew Worrad is along the same lines, but a pure playmaker who seems to be very adequate in a two-way capacity. He's 6'2" to boot.
- Maxim Andreyev is a junior scoring at over a PPG rate. He's really slick, with and without the puck. Looks like what the team felt it was getting in Iskhakov, but 4 inches taller.

I'd also add that there are an insane amount of goaltenders available who have very solid numbers this year. I mean, it could be 6 or 7 who should get an ELC. Kind of would make since for the Isles to be in on one of them.

And although he's a year removed from college, Strauss Mann (Team USA at OL games) has been outstanding in the SHL this year, so I'm thinking someone's bringing him in - and he looks like the real deal.

Just some thoughts.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
McKay would be a nice add to bridge the gap between Skarek and Lennox?

Obviously want Meyers, but not expecting it. Lou probably brings in some obscure captain on an AHL deal that fizzles out the way of Carpenter.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
McKay would be a nice add to bridge the gap between Skarek and Lennox?

Obviously want Meyers, but not expecting it. Lou probably brings in some obscure captain on an AHL deal that fizzles out the way of Carpenter.

If the Isles could get Meyers, that'd be an absolute coup in light of what is heavy competition!

Honestly though, don't even think they're interested. Teams picking up a player like him have a plan to have him inserted pretty much right away. And they're probably hoping he'll be able to fill in a bottom six role right off the bat. Absolute best case scenario is that he'd become a Robert Thomas type in the years to come.

Sadly, I don't see anyone in this organization being someone he could replace just now - at least not in conjunction with Lou's vision of this team. I'd think differently if, say, Cizikas were out for the season.

As for McKay, or even one of the other available goalies, I kind of think it's pretty essential that the Isles pick one up. Truth be told, Skarek is nowhere near ready for any NHL duty (not that he needs to be) and has shown more than enough reason to believe he may never hold water at the NHL level. As for Lennox, I mean, not only has he been out at junctures this season, but the numbers have been pretty poor along the way. It's very early, so he's a non-topic now, progress or not. Tikkanen, on the other hand, had a very promising season in Sweden this year and is still playing POs with MoDo, albeit he's just the back-up thus far.

But now that the NCAA show is over, guys like those mentioned above as well as Livingstone, Frank, Metsa (small), and Andreyev would be the seniors who are surely most sought after.

There are number of sophomores and juniors that teams would surely love to add (Bengtsson, Hirose, etc.) now while a few others can be signed, but are still draft-eligible (Ford, Berglungd, Poisson, etc.).

But anyone else of interest seems to have already been gobbled up.

The baby Isles added one college kid on a ATO. I think he was quickly assigned to the ECHL.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
If the Isles could get Meyers, that'd be an absolute coup in light of what is heavy competition!

Honestly though, don't even think they're interested. Teams picking up a player like him have a plan to have him inserted pretty much right away. And they're probably hoping he'll be able to fill in a bottom six role right off the bat. Absolute best case scenario is that he'd become a Robert Thomas type in the years to come.

Sadly, I don't see anyone in this organization being someone he could replace just now - at least not in conjunction with Lou's vision of this team. I'd think differently if, say, Cizikas were out for the season.

As for McKay, or even one of the other available goalies, I kind of think it's pretty essential that the Isles pick one up. Truth be told, Skarek is nowhere near ready for any NHL duty (not that he needs to be) and has shown more than enough reason to believe he may never hold water at the NHL level. As for Lennox, I mean, not only has he been out at junctures this season, but the numbers have been pretty poor along the way. It's very early, so he's a non-topic now, progress or not. Tikkanen, on the other hand, had a very promising season in Sweden this year and is still playing POs with MoDo, albeit he's just the back-up thus far.

But now that the NCAA show is over, guys like those mentioned above as well as Livingstone, Frank, Metsa (small), and Andreyev would be the seniors who are surely most sought after.

There are number of sophomores and juniors that teams would surely love to add (Bengtsson, Hirose, etc.) now while a few others can be signed, but are still draft-eligible (Ford, Berglungd, Poisson, etc.).

But anyone else of interest seems to have already been gobbled up.

The baby Isles added one college kid on a ATO. I think he was quickly assigned to the ECHL.
I didn’t mean to imply that Skarek was getting close to NHL readiness or Lennox were progressing on a clear upward trend. Just thinking long term that Varlamov is only in the fold through next season and besides Sorokin the depth of the organzation is pretty weak.

I do think it’s essential to bring in a goalie just to keep the pipeline stocked, although good call on Tikkanen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad