Native American woman who worked as cultural advisor to Blackhawks sues team for sex harassment, fraud

Status
Not open for further replies.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I realize who the organization is but this is honestly a nothing story, cliff notes:

1. Brought in as part of a group to improve relations between Hawks organization and native Americans, says the name is racist and must be changed.
  2. Hawks say no and (after donating a wad of cash and a FREAKIN HELICOPTER, THATS SICK) the groups agree and no longer want the name changed.
  3. She still wants them to change their name, so they constructively dismiss her
  4. Once this happens she accuses someone of sexual harassment despite never mentioning it at the time to anyone.
  5. The accused doesn't work for the Hawks, just someone attached to a company they hired as part of this outreach.

It's like if Applebee's used Hire Waiters LLC to hire all their staff, and at a store location, one waiter harassed another. Should Applebee's be held liable in this scenario? No IMO.
Don't let the facts get in the way of a good circle jerk

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
FTFY. Place your blame where it belongs.
Distinction without a difference my man. I was OBVIOUSLY referring to the incident of George Floyd’s murder and not blaming him for a culture-shifting phenomenon. Obviously.

Where do people like you come from? How would you even begin to think that’s where I was coming from???

Reactions: SannywithoutCompy

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
Distinction without a difference my man. I was OBVIOUSLY referring to the incident of George Floyd’s murder and not blaming him for a culture-shifting phenomenon. Obviously.

Where do people like you come from? How would you even begin to think that’s where I was coming from???
It’s what you said.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Whatever happened with Corey Perry - it was poor timing for a team that should have been moving heaven and earth to be whiter than white after that Beach/Wirtz fiasco.
I see this referenced and I don’t understand it as a strike against the Blackhawks. There was a sexual harassment incident at work and the Hawks took the most drastic measure possible and immediately removed Perry from the team and terminated his contract. How is that a bad thing or “shitty behavior as of late”? They specifically let it be known that from here on out that behavior will not be tolerated, even if it hurts the team in doing so.

They kept details private for a short while as things were materializing but it’s not like they were hiding anything. If anything it was the Internet sweat losers who were running with rumors about Perry and Bedard’s mom which is disgusting.

It’s what you said.
No i referred to two major incidents that had major impacts on society. If you think I’m blaming George Floyd then we have nothing else to discuss

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I don’t have a dog in this fight. And I don’t really care.
Good to know
My point was only that Chicago has behaved in an extremely shitty way of late. And there is usually a price for that. Fair or not.
Seems you're admitting it's a bit of a flimsy connection
- They sucked - from top to bottom and beginning to end - with the Kyle Beach situation.
No argument, I'm glad the people involved were removed accordingly
- Rocky Wirtz was a disgusting cretin in how he treated the very first public meeting post Beach. Instead of showing a modicum of humility he demonstrated that he was an arrogant dismissive ass incapable of learning. And the fish always rots from the head..
Yes, an old dying man was frustrated that an organization he heads was part of a bad situation and he handled it very poorly, impacting the legacy of such organization, I suppose we can all only hope we'd handle that situation better under such circumstances..
- Whatever happened with Corey Perry - it was poor timing for a team that should have been moving heaven and earth to be whiter than white after that Beach/Wirtz fiasco.
I would think "moving heaven and earth" would be demonstrating a very strict zero tolerance approach, how else do you demonstrate that. besides taking action when a situation occurs? Being "whiter than white" doesn't actually mean nothing ever occurs because you can't control what every person does, only how you respond to it
So whether this latest thing is fair on not fair, legit or not legit, it’s happened to a team that needs to get it’s shit together fast.
Not even sure what you're saying, what occurred doesn't matter because something did happen previously, or something else?
Lie with dogs, get fleas.
Don't know what this means in context
Let’s suppose this woman is a money grabbing opportunist who is just looking for a payout?
Something you said, for the record, not someone else
Well, why on earth would she pick the Chicago Blackhawks of all teams to go after?
Well taking your own hypothetical here, I would imagine you'd go after someone you have proximity to, not someone else
Because shitty behavior in the recent past carries implications.
Again, not sure your point here, a bad thing happened before so situations shouldn't be assessed individually or on their merits?

Reactions: Voight

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
Good to know

Seems you're admitting it's a bit of a flimsy connection

No argument, I'm glad the people involved were removed accordingly

Yes, an old dying man was frustrated that an organization he heads was part of a bad situation and he handled it very poorly, impacting the legacy of such organization, I suppose we can all only hope we'd handle that situation better under such circumstances..

I would think "moving heaven and earth" would be demonstrating a very strict zero tolerance approach, how else do you demonstrate that. besides taking action when a situation occurs? Being "whiter than white" doesn't actually mean nothing ever occurs because you can't control what every person does, only how you respond to it

Not even sure what you're saying, what occurred doesn't matter because something did happen previously, or something else?

Don't know what this means in context

Something you said, for the record, not someone else

Well taking your own hypothetical here, I would imagine you'd go after someone you have proximity to, not someone else

Again, not sure your point here, a bad thing happened before so situations shouldn't be assessed individually or on their merits?
Yeah, prior stuff counts.

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
I'm sick and tired of Bettman handing the Blackhawk's Stanley Cups and draft pick's. He's reason the Leaf's are the standing joke in pro sports. Every 1st rd he stacks the deck against them as if he was in Harold Ballard's basement ??? Wait,,,,,,,,,

Seras

Dubas supporter
Sep 1, 2015
New Westminster, BC. Canada
I'm sick and tired of Bettman handing the Blackhawk's Stanley Cups and draft pick's. He's reason the Leaf's are the standing joke in pro sports. Every 1st rd he stacks the deck against them as if he was in Harold Ballard's basement ??? Wait,,,,,,,,,

I'm impressed that even with a thread title about sexual harassment accusation against the Blackhawks you were still able to bring up the leafs

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Doesn't it kind of make sense for an organization that appropriates a logo and name from a native culture to hire a cultural advisor to negotiate? I mean this woman had obvious motives in that regard that were opposite of the team's wishes, but this seems like the situation in which that type of hire makes sense. Idk.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Any organization that hires a "cultural advisor" deserves to get sued.
I agree. Run your business lean and don't pander to this type of thing. It will only cause you grief.

If you're going to keep the name and logo, and I think they should, do it unapologetically.

Doesn't it kind of make sense for an organization that appropriates a logo and name from a native culture to hire a cultural advisor to negotiate? I mean this woman had obvious motives in that regard that were opposite of the team's wishes, but this seems like the situation in which that type of hire makes sense. Idk.
They threw money at the problem hoping it would go away. Instead, it made it worse.

Reactions: pedis

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Yeah, I'm not gunna call anyone a grifter when they are accusing a known POS org that sweeps rape under the rug. Who knows maybe the blackhawks are the good guys actually.
They are some kind of mafia or what?

You think, they instigate this kind of stuff?

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
You lost me.

They should have just gone about their business and forgot about the whiners. The people who care about names and logos, do NOT buy tickets - just ask the Edmonton Elks.
You must not have read the article, the Blackhawks gave them cash and a helicopter totaling ~$250,000 but this woman was more hell bent on going against the team's wishes and tried to cause friction - before the SA claim.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
You must not have read the article, the Blackhawks gave them cash and a helicopter totaling ~$250,000 but this woman was more hell bent on going against the team's wishes and tried to cause friction - before the SA claim.
I read the article. I would have done neither - I would not have given them a helicopter, nor would I have hired her.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Good for you I guess.
Once you cater to groups like this, it never ends. They'll always want something more. I'd say, "If you don't want to buy ticket, don't. Feel free to whine about us in the press and no hard feelings".

My guess : There would be ZERO impact on their bottom line.

Now, they are out $250K , plus they have a lawsuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad