Native American woman who worked as cultural advisor to Blackhawks sues team for sex harassment, fraud

Status
Not open for further replies.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Wait so the Blackhawks did everything how they’re supposed to when they terminated Perry, the commissioner supported the termination, he signs with the Oilers and is playing in the playoffs but that counts as a strike on the Blackhawks? No this is about justice!! Not sports tribalism!

On the topic of this story, I have no real comment on a he said, she said. It should be investigated and dealt with accordingly.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
The Blackhawks absolutely made nice with this woman to legitimize themselves and used her to establish a connection to the tribes in question, and then paid them off.

Not illegal, and not even lawsuit worthy, but still a dishonest scumbag move. It was never about sustainable or unsustainable DEI initiatives.

What we have here is (most likely) a case of two parties both acting in bad faith and the losing party filing a vexatious lawsuit.

You are just blindly parroting political stances like the guy you are arguing with. Argue the facts of the case or GTFO.
I would think most and nearly all of my fellow Hawks fans would agree with the bolded. It was a response to an overly-politicized moment in cultural history and many organizations overreacted.

I think saying it's a "scumbag" move is a little too far. Despite what people read and say on the internet, I'd bet most people have no problem with the Blackhawks logo and would prefer it NOT to change. It's clearly not something the Hawks as an organization and brand want to do whatsoever. Making this hire more of a social broadcast in an attempt to appease some unruly and vocal minority of people on the internet at a time when everyone was stuck at home online everyday.

What's more, if the representatives of the Sauk and Fox were willing to come to an agreement with the Blackhawks it should say 1 of 2 things. 1) That they really are ok with the logo and we can move on or 2) They don't like the logo but are willing to allow its usage for compensation of $100k and a helicopter + a concerted effort to raise and maintain awareness of our Native American history on these lands.

Either way it sounds like this logo is here to stay which I'm definitely happy about as I think it's the coolest logo in sports and the city of Chicago has a lot of Native American imagery all over it that has always stood out as something to be fond and proud of. It's a great way to learn about the people that were here before a complex and gruesome history changed things. I'd much rather be reminded of their history, both the positive and negative, as difficult as it can be at times.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Poor Sens about to lose another 1st round pick.
8q735v.jpg

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
I would think most and nearly all of my fellow Hawks fans would agree with the bolded. It was a response to an overly-politicized moment in cultural history and many organizations overreacted.

I think saying it's a "scumbag" move is a little too far. Despite what people read and say on the internet, I'd bet most people have no problem with the Blackhawks logo and would prefer it NOT to change. It's clearly not something the Hawks as an organization and brand want to do whatsoever. Making this hire more of a social broadcast in an attempt to appease some unruly and vocal minority of people on the internet at a time when everyone was stuck at home online everyday.

What's more, if the representatives of the Sauk and Fox were willing to come to an agreement with the Blackhawks it should say 1 of 2 things. 1) That they really are ok with the logo and we can move on or 2) They don't like the logo but are willing to allow its usage for compensation of $100k and a helicopter + a concerted effort to raise and maintain awareness of our Native American history on these lands.

Either way it sounds like this logo is here to stay which I'm definitely happy about as I think it's the coolest logo in sports and the city of Chicago has a lot of Native American imagery all over it that has always stood out as something to be fond and proud of. It's a great way to learn about the people that were here before a complex and gruesome history changed things. I'd much rather be reminded of their history, both the positive and negative, as difficult as it can be at times
Injecting politics.

I don't care about the logo. Never have. The tribe itself doesn't care. Anything is for sale with enough money. I'd sell my own balls for a million bucks. Got two kids, don't need 'em anymore.

What I think is the scumbag move is that the team likely represented itself in a dishonest manner to the complainant in order to legitimize itself and make a connection to the tribe. Again, not entirely illegal, but not ethical.

The team should have told her they had no intention of changing the logo and wanted to negotiate with the tribe and wanted her to facilitate that process. It's likely the tribe was actively rebuffing the team until they hired the complainant.

Complainant probably couldnt get a lawyer to take the case and once she added the sexual assault angle on a known target they saw dollar signs.

Again, the evidence should be interesting. It doesn't look good for her but truth will out.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Ah, my favorite part of HF Boards where the rocket scientists and bio-engineers give their guilty verdict immediately upon hearing accusations.

I'm assuming you feel the same about those who are saying she's lying too? Because there's certainly plenty of that in this thread.

Actually I can see that you liked posts that outright called her a "loon" or a "grifter" and accused her of lying about the whole thing. I find it strange when people get outraged at others for thinking that someone is telling the truth about something like this - because how could we know what happened? None of us were there? Which might be a fair point, if they weren't totally fine with turning around and saying the person is lying. What's the difference?

Last edited:
Reactions: WhataKnight

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Terrible news. Makes this exchange from early 2022 look even worse for Blackhawks ownership.

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
At this point the league needs to step up and say anybody with any allegations what so ever against the Blackhawks come forward now, get your payday and then force the owner to sell the team, hire all new staff, and have a fresh start. If they don’t come forward now then it’s too late because it’s a clean house in Chicago

• Haha
Reactions: ChiHawks10

Bernie Federko

Jun 29, 2018
It's interesting, this whole issue over mascots. The University of Illinois had to retire the Chief. Meanwhile Florida State has a guy riding a horse throwing a burning spear. Difference is there was a Seminole tribe for Florida State to negotiate with while there is no Illini tribe, that referred to a collection pf peoples. Same thing with Chicago, they found somebody to negotiate with.

I have no problem with the Blackhawk logo and understand why they would never want to change it.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
It's interesting, this whole issue over mascots. The University of Illinois had to retire the Chief. Meanwhile Florida State has a guy riding a horse throwing a burning spear. Difference is there was a Seminole tribe for Florida State to negotiate with while there is no Illini tribe, that referred to a collection pf peoples. Same thing with Chicago, they found somebody to negotiate with.

I have no problem with the Blackhawk logo and understand why they would never want to change it.
Just based off what I’ve read about the redskins,Indians and the eskimos logos being changed I bet 90% of Native people support the logo staying. I’ve even read comments from Native people stating that it’s not them pushing for the change it’s the white people who don’t even follow sports that think it’s wrong to have logos like that because they think it makes them look good

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
They fired the GM, Head Coach, AGM, President and CEO of the org over this lawsuit and rightfully so. They terminated Corey Perry's contract after immediately removing him from the team because of a sexual harassment incident. How much more accountability would you like?
Guys like the one you respond to aren't actually interested in truth, accountability or justice. They just want to say "RELOCATE THE TEAM! DISBAND THE FRANCHISE! TAKE AWAY THE CUPS!"

It's all (no pun intended) tribalism.

Ottawa fans connecting their fine with the Kyle Beach thing never even made sense. Ottawa's punishment had nothing to do with Brad Aldrich/Kyle Beach...

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
Why do they have to load up the headline with Native American? Seems like that takes a way from the allegations. The SnapChat videos are already damning. Weird to somehow throw the native american angle as if that's a multiplying factor when it just distracts from the allegations even more.

The Hawks really need to clean house entirely.
In this case, her heritage was an important part of the story because she was brought in to broker negotiations between the Blackhawks and The Sac and Fox Nation

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
From the office of Gary Bettman:
Due to recent allegations about the Chicago Blackhawks organization the NHL has decided to give the next 3 first overall picks to Chicago unless The Pittsburgh Penguins file bankruptcy in which case they would receive a compensatory first overall pick especially if it’s considered a Generational Talent

Reactions: BrokenFace

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Just based off what I’ve read about the redskins,Indians and the eskimos logos being changed I bet 90% of Native people support the logo staying. I’ve even read comments from Native people stating that it’s not them pushing for the change it’s the white people who don’t even follow sports that think it’s wrong to have logos like that because they think it makes them look good
My brother in law is native and still loves the blackhawks, redskins and Indians logos more than any other sports logos. He laughs at everyone who get butt hurt over these logos with as he puts it..

" fake rage for social media brownie points "

:laugh:

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Guys like the one you respond to aren't actually interested in truth, accountability or justice. They just want to say "RELOCATE THE TEAM! DISBAND THE FRANCHISE! TAKE AWAY THE CUPS!"

It's all (no pun intended) tribalism.

Ottawa fans connecting their fine with the Kyle Beach thing never even made sense. Ottawa's punishment had nothing to do with Brad Aldrich/Kyle Beach...
Nah, it was more Chicago hid that and got a fine, which later paid itself with getting Bedard meanwhile Ottawa had has to sacrifice a 1st because someone didn't ask for a player's no-trade list

Reactions: Nut Upstrom
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad