• Rod Brind'Amour

Votes: 26 26.0%

• Total voters

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
And you’re answer is no for can MSL have as much success
Actually, I didn't answer. For all we know, he would have won a Cup by now with that team. Habs with all their injuries have been over performing since St-Louis is there.
All I've been saying is that it is stupid and dishonest to compare both coaches records considering the difference in talent level between the teams.
I'm not even taking a stand on who I would want as coach in a few years from now when the Habs will be potential contenders. Ask me again in a few years.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
And that’s why I have no choice to give the advantage to Rod, we know he’s elite. For MSL, we know that he can develop player but we have no idea yet if he’s a good coach
Elite at getting the expected results and underachieving a bit so far, despite quite a bit of kicks at the can.

It's worth mentionning that the OP considered Kirby Dach a developpmental minus for Martin St-Louis in 23-24.

Going from there, it's reasonable to assume this thread wasn't started in good faith, and if it somehow was, it's then reasonable to assume that individual probably shouldn't be taken seriously.

Please, don't act like an enabler.

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
You think Brind'Amour wouldn't have been able to finish 27th in the league with this team?
You think St-Louis would have missed the playoffs with the Canes? I guess we'll never know...

It's dishonest to talk about Brindamoues achievements like they're nothing and then talk like MSL is making his team overachiever.
What is dishonest is to compare their coaching records unless you truly believe both teams have a similar talent level. They don't.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
You think St-Louis would have missed the playoffs with the Canes? I guess we'll never know...

What is dishonest is to compare their coaching records unless you truly believe both teams have a similar talent level. They don't.
I showed the records, not to compare them, but to show the comment was out for lunch. Brindamour is one of the best coach in the league and MSL hasn't proven anything.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Elite at getting the expected results and underachieving a bit so far, despite quite a bit of kicks at the can.

It's worth mentionning that the OP considered Kirby Dach a developpmental minus for Martin St-Louis in 23-24.

Going from there, it's reasonable to assume this thread wasn't started in good faith, and if it somehow was, it's then reasonable to assume that individual probably shouldn't be taken seriously.

Don't get so butthurt you might actually be the softest person on here, the guy I was talking to said that this year was clearly better than last year in regards to individual development. Truth is it was pretty even. Of course Dach getting hurt wasn't Marty's fault, but it was still a bad year for his development.

All we really got this year in the NHL was Suzuki and Slafkovsky taking a step forward.

Last year we had Dach, Caufield, RHP, the defense, etc.

Pretty much the whole defense had a sophomore slump and the team was largely carried by a free roaming Matheson offensively, and most people don't see him on a contending roster

I showed the records, not to compare them, but to show the comment was out for lunch. Brindamour is one of the best coach in the league and MSL hasn't proven anything.
I honestly thought there was some mystery box satire going on that was over my head

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

Actually, I didn't answer. For all we know, he would have won a Cup by now with that team. Habs with all their injuries have been over performing since St-Louis is there.
All I've been saying is that it is stupid and dishonest to compare both coaches records considering the difference in talent level between the teams.
I'm not even taking a stand on who I would want as coach in a few years from now when the Habs will be potential contenders. Ask me again in a few years.
Yes but for know Rod have prove that he can have a really well structured team, that can win with constancy and that he have accountability, what MSL haven’t shown yet. Could my answer change in 4 years ? Of course yes and I hope so but right know if I’m a GM of a team going for the Stanley Cup, I’m taking RBA without hesitation

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
- 664 % win in career
- 2 .700 + season
- Jack Adams winner
- 8 rounds wins in the playoffs

The other one stil haven’t prove at any major level that he can win
All that really demonstrates is a lot more experience and a much better team.
Dont Know Emoticon

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Yes but for know Rod have prove that he can have a really well structured team, that can win with constancy and that he have accountability, what MSL haven’t shown yet. Could my answer change in 4 years ? Of course yes and I hope so but right know if I’m a GM of a team going for the Stanley Cup, I’m taking RBA without hesitation
There's also this dilemma of the fit.

We know RBA works decently within the Carolina Hurricanes environment.
Does he work well in another environment? Who knows? Will he work well in a COMPLETELY different environment? That's really hard to tell.

Reactions: Canadiens Ghost

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
Da hell? No other reason to show the records if not to compare them. Moving on.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
It’s a demonstration that he’s elite and have been at least a top 5 HC in the league.

MSL haven’t shown he belong in that category yet

That’s the point
I agree he is elite, I don't like folks holding MSL next to him saying MSL is not good, I am not talking about you.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
This whole thread is stupid, and moot. Like seriously what was even the point of it? Neither Rod or Marty are going anywhere, and are literally impossible to compare in proper context.
If Dundon is being a cheapskate the Leafs are going to spend a fortune on Rod.

Makes me wonder if he would be accepted here. Would we be interested in a Jack Adams winning systems coach? Would we accept a non French speaking coach, as long as he had French ancestry?

If the Leafs get Brind'Amour I'll definitely be more worried about them as a team, but if they hired Marty I would also be pissed

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
The guy that has been running the best analytics team in history, or the guy that has been running the Habs ? Im not the biggest Brind'amour fan because he's too harsh on his players and ultimately he doesn't respect talent enough, but come on now.

Would you want the coach with a .438 over 200 games or the guy that has a near .700 winning record over 500?
Would you take St-Louis with the Canes team or Brindamour with the Habs team?

Svart

Live Slow, Die Fat
Jul 5, 2006
If someone's going to shit on Rod Brind'amour's accomplishments they better have a better argument than implying our coach can "win the actual Stanley Cup" when our coach has done no such a thing whatsoever.
According to some, Slaf was a bust... until he wasn't anymore
Why did they have that opinion?
Did they jump to conclusion too quick?
Do they have bad judgment?
Are they just stubborn?
To those people... do you not see the progress this team has made under MSL over the last two seasons?
You don't jump from under construction to stanley cup champions in a short time

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad