Player Discussion Morgan Rielly

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Numerous top contenders have core defenceman in that price range that play PP2 or support neither PP - Ekblad, Lindholm, Toews, Trouba.

You can only get rid of Rielly when we can walk away with a D corps that on the whole has improved significantly and is sufficient. I would be surprised if you had a realistic plan to do that this summer.

You might need all three and when do you get all these players?

The bonus with all of Lindholm, Toews, Trouba and Ekblad is that they can PK too. Rielly does not PK.

Try to get a defenseman in the Marner trade and see how you do in UFA, this is one of the better UFA groups for defenseman in a while.

Try to swap Liljegren as well for a different defenseman that might fit in better.

Reactions: Al14 and Tak7

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The bonus with all of Lindholm, Toews, Trouba and Ekblad is that they can PK too. Rielly does not PK.

Try to get a defenseman in the Marner trade and see how you do in UFA, this is one of the better UFA groups for defenseman in a while.

Try to swap Liljegren as well for a different defenseman that might fit in better.

I would sooner get the cap back from Marner and JT along with picks and prospects. We can entice free agents well.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
For 7.5M I need a dynamic PP QB or a top end defender that can handle tough minutes, he can apparently offer neither to us.
Morgan Rielly plays 24 minutes a night in the playoffs, is a plus player in those minutes, wins the advanced stats battles in those minutes, scores goals and has a ppg of .7, mostly from ES scoring in those minutes. His crime is that he is not Roman Josi, but he "handles" those minutes just fine.

That we need a dynamic PP QB is an argument for why Rielly should not be on the PP1, it is not an argument for why he should be traded. That we need a top end defender is not an argument for why Rielly should be traded. If we trade Rielly, we need to replace his minutes, his production, and then additionally find that PP QB and top end defender.

Frankly, the idea that Rielly isn't worth 7.5m is preposterous. The problem is that we have 40m in four forwards and Rielly has no help, so he's apparently supposed to do everything on his own for 7.5m. We never replaced Muzzin, that's not Rielly's fault.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Morgan Rielly plays 24 minutes a night in the playoffs, is a plus player in those minutes, wins the advanced stats battles in those minutes, scores goals and has a ppg of .7, mostly from ES scoring in those minutes. His crime is that he is not Roman Josi, but he "handles" those minutes just fine.

That we need a dynamic PP QB is an argument for why Rielly should not be on the PP1, it is not an argument for why he should be traded. That we need a top end defender is not an argument for why Rielly should be traded. If we trade Rielly, we need to replace his minutes, his production, and then additionally find that PP QB and top end defender.

Frankly, the idea that Rielly isn't worth 7.5m is preposterous. The problem is that we have 40m in four forwards and Rielly has no help, so he's apparently supposed to do everything on his own for 7.5m. We never replaced Muzzin, that's not Rielly's fault.

We're not going to agree on this & we both have better things to do today lol.

Reactions: Al14 and LeafGrief

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Dubas could have signed Pietrangelo and traded Marner when he had the chance...alas, it's Dubas we're talking about though...the guy has messed up this Leaf franchise as GM, and will take some shrewd tinkering by Treliving to right the ship.
Dubas could have done a lot of things. We had guys like Verhaege and Marchment, in the system, others like Reinhart, Cousins, Bennett, Montour were all available. But we need 99 cent guys like Malgin and Petan because nobody was getting signed for any length of time or salary. Unity.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Dubas could have done a lot of things. We had guys like Verhaege and Marchment, in the system, others like Reinhart, Cousins, Bennett, Montour were all available. But we need 99 cent guys like Malgin and Petan because nobody was getting signed for any length of time or salary. Unity.
We really need to stop moaning and whining about these guys - Varhaege in particular took SIX YEARS and multiple franchises before he even began to look like a full time NHLer, let alone an impact player he is today.

Did you ever watch Marchment with the Marlies? He was a part time AHLer.

• Wow
Reactions: sittler rules!!!

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
We really need to stop moaning and whining about these guys - Varhaege in particular took SIX YEARS and multiple franchises before he even began to look like a full time NHLer, let alone an impact player he is today.

Did you ever watch Marchment with the Marlies? He was a part time AHLer.
What about McCann?

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Last year aside, our PP has sucked in the playoffs and Rielly has been okay to good but for 7.5M you can find better, we need a more dynamic PP QB.

View attachment 871531

I do not see Rielly as our actual PP QB on the first unit. Marner holds the puck for a lot longer than Mo does. When Mitch was out I think Rielly did hold the puck a bit more, but the argument could be made that the PP QB was Nylander.

Rielly's role is pretty much to keep the puck in, be open to use as an outlet when Mitch is under pressure, moving the puck from Marner to Nylander, and sneaking down from the point when the opportunity arises. He can also use his speed to open up some lanes if there is some ice available for him (we see him get down low fairly often once we actually have posession which tends to open space for Matthews in the high slot).

I'm fine to try new things on our first unit, but I'm pretty adamant that Rielly did his job fairly well on our PP and that our late season PP struggles were moreso issues with our forwards struggling to create in our setup than with Rielly. Was that coaching or our forwards? Probably a bit of both.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I do not see Rielly as our actual PP QB on the first unit. Marner holds the puck for a lot longer than Mo does. When Mitch was out I think Rielly did hold the puck a bit more, but the argument could be made that the PP QB was Nylander.

Rielly's role is pretty much to keep the puck in, be open to use as an outlet when Mitch is under pressure, moving the puck from Marner to Nylander, and sneaking down from the point when the opportunity arises. He can also use his speed to open up some lanes if there is some ice available for him (we see him get down low fairly often once we actually have posession which tends to open space for Matthews in the high slot).

I'm fine to try new things on our first unit, but I'm pretty adamant that Rielly did his job fairly well on our PP and that our late season PP struggles were moreso issues with our forwards struggling to create in our setup than with Rielly. Was that coaching or our forwards? Probably a bit of both.

I think our set up was bad in having Marner + Rielly on the point, zero shot threats up top allows other teams to cram Matthews/Nylander/net front guy, we also did better without JT on PP with Bertuzzi on it but our set up overall is bad.

Rielly / Nylander should be on the point as Nylander has a shot threat.

Marner should have been left side half wall as a right shot to feet Matthews for a 1 time, for the point shot or bumper/net front guy. If they cheat, he can creep in and shoot himself, right shot on the left side is a very favorable shooting angle.

I don't think we get a chance to see that now, 1-2 core guys likely moving.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I think our set up was bad in having Marner + Rielly on the point, zero shot threats up top allows other teams to cram Matthews/Nylander/net front guy, we also did better without JT on PP with Bertuzzi on it but our set up overall is bad.

Rielly / Nylander should be on the point as Nylander has a shot threat.

Marner should have been left side half wall as a right shot to feet Matthews for a 1 time, for the point shot or bumper/net front guy. If they cheat, he can creep in and shoot himself, right shot on the left side is a very favorable shooting angle.

I don't think we get a chance to see that now, 1-2 core guys likely moving.
I can agree with that. Especially with Mitch back to shooting less for the 2nd half of the season.

When Pittsburgh's PP was rolling and leading the league a few years ago, they were moving around so much that Letang would be at the half wall with Malkin and Crosby closer to the blueline at times... Given everybody except JT have great mobility, that should've been the play with JT just staying around the net.

Way, way too static the past 4-6 months.

Reactions: WTFMAN99

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Rielly’s best trait is when he plays on pure skating and instinct and is doing his Lone Ranger rushes or joining in late as the trailing man. He’s got to be top speed, skating north with purpose to attack the net, and zero deviation from the flight path.

When he needs to go to his changeup speed, he slows down but the game doesn’t around him. He can’t command the game like that. His lateral ability is also very sluggish. His puck movement is predictable and sloppy.

Over the years he’s endeared himself as a heart and soul type player, which he is, but I don’t think it’s enough.
I agree. Seems like a solid dude that you’d like your daughter to marry but the fans and the team shouldn’t be married to him. 11 years of failure has beat him down. Needs a fresh start somewhere else.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Lamoriello did this trade ...

The Toronto Maple Leafs have acquired forward Michael Grabner from the New York Islanders in exchange for forwards Taylor Beck and Carter Verhaeghe, defencemen Matt Finn and Tom Nilsson, and goaltender Christopher Gibson.

Grabner (27) scored eight goals and 13 points in 34 games with the Islanders in 2014-15. He is entering the final year of a five-year deal that will see him collect $3 million against the salary cap.

Grabner was drafted by the Vancouver Canucks in the first round (14th overall) of the 2006 NHL Entry Draft.

Grabner then went and scored 27 goals for the Rangers ... of course!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Maple Leaf

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Rielly’s best trait is when he plays on pure skating and instinct and is doing his Lone Ranger rushes or joining in late as the trailing man. He’s got to be top speed, skating north with purpose to attack the net, and zero deviation from the flight path.

When he needs to go to his changeup speed, he slows down but the game doesn’t around him. He can’t command the game like that. His lateral ability is also very sluggish. His puck movement is predictable and sloppy.

Over the years he’s endeared himself as a heart and soul type player, which he is, but I don’t think it’s enough.

Rielly's wheels look like they need to be inflated.

He looked pedestrian this year. Hopefully it was the injury. Without his wheels, he's at best a 2nd. pairing defender. Good size, but not physical, not great defensively, not great with his shot.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

The issue for the leafs is outside of Matthews, theybdont have any player dangerous from distance in their line up. If by exemple we comparing with edmonton. Opposite team just have to shut down matthews and its over

Mcdavid is exteemely dangerous from distance, Bouchard is pretty dangerous from distance, Draisaitl is dangerous from distance. Vs edmonton you cant only protecting the front of the net and be sure to cut shooting lane of the only guy who can beat you.

colorado mackinnon, makar, rantanen
tampa stamkos hedman kucherov

Its not about marner nylander or rielly but they are too similar and their shot are not strong enought from distance to create rebound. The leafs pp is build to have success by open up passing la e

Last edited:

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
The issue for the leafs is outside of Matthews, theybdont have any player dangerous from distance in their line up. If by exemple we comparing with edmonton. Opposite team just have to shut down matthews and its over

Mcdavid is exteemely dangerous from distance, Bouchard is pretty dangerous from distance, Draisaitl is dangerous from distance. Vs edmonton you cant only protecting the front of the net and be sure to cut shooting lane of the only guy who can beat you.

colorado mackinnon, makar, rantanen
tampa stamkos hedman kucherov

Its not about marner nylander or rielly but they are too similar and their shot are not strong enought from distance to create rebound. The leafs pp is build to have success by open up passing la e
What are you talking about willy can score from distance he's been doing it most his career he knows how to pic a corner

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
What are you talking about willy can score from distance he's been doing it most his career he knows how to pic a corner
he can pic the corner but he dont have a hard shot... so Nylander need the perfect shot to score and his shot rarely giving up rebound. Leafs pp is all about skill and try to broke penalty boxes with quick pass.

The only player whos able to create confusion in the boxes its matthews with his hard shot. Try to be succesful in pp by trying to take perfect shot from distance, every team will take that gamble because it will go in maybe once like what every 50-100 shot attempt. When i talked about dangerous weapon blueline, its not only about score direct goal but by causing trouble to opposite goalie with shot hard to handle. Its a thing who really miss to Toronto and why they tried Liljegren on PP because he don't have skill for it but having an harder shot than rielly but still not enough.

If you don't force opposite team to respect player at blue line, it will be hard to create space in the middle of the boxes

It was probably one of reason why toronto signed klinberg and why people asking as much for a guy like Montour. Not because he's better than rielly but he's bringing one thing leafs need

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Who do you suggest then at 7.5?

Do you have to spend 7.5M? if Montour is there at 5-5.5M or Ghost at 4M?

Bolster other areas of the roster and that is just talking on UFA

If you traded Rielly in another deal, maybe Karlsson (with some retention) is an addition you can look at?

There are a lot of variables and I think people shy away from it because Rielly is a likeable guy but there is nothing that says you cannot look at getting better. I don't care what the name on the back of the jersey says, anyone can go if I think I can improve my roster.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Do you have to spend 7.5M? if Montour is there at 5-5.5M or Ghost at 4M?

Bolster other areas of the roster and that is just talking on UFA

If you traded Rielly in another deal, maybe Karlsson (with some retention) is an addition you can look at?

There are a lot of variables and I think people shy away from it because Rielly is a likeable guy but there is nothing that says you cannot look at getting better. I don't care what the name on the back of the jersey says, anyone can go if I think I can improve my roster.
I'm agree leafs maybe not need to overpay 7.5M to get it done

i think Montour will be overpay, that's my feeling...

Gostibehere can certainly be an option

and an other option i think some people would not like ut but could maybe give the best value/salary. Give an second chance to an healthy Klinberg because i dont think he will be able to get a high $$$

Kevin Shattenkirk

or giving a chance to Connor Timmins

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
I'm on board with Mo not being on PP1. At least not by himself. If Mitch goes, maybe Rielly with another D with a shot. So Rielly esssentially becomes Mitch, more of a passer rather than a point guy. But we need a threat on the blueline. And not just a guy with a cannon. Find a guy who can get the puck to the net. The best guy the Leafs have had on the blueline in that regard in the past 20 years was, of all people, Cody Fransen. He wasn't a great D, slow, didn't use his size nearly enough (damn, that sounds familiar) and his shot was ok. But he got it through to the net all the time. He could thread the needle. Morgan doesn't have that capability. And since he's got a muffin for a shot anyway, he's essentially useless. Also...can we PLEASE dump the drop back play on the powerplay? At least make it optional...so that the other team doesn't see it coming EVERY SINGLE TIME! Mix it up, FFS!

Reactions: myleafs

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Somehow people here seem to not recognize or understand that Rielly’s body of work as an offensive defenseman is significantly better than Montour’s is.

I’d be happy to add Montour at a reasonable cost to this D core, even put him on PP1, but we still need Rielly. We improve by having both. Trading Rielly out and bringing Montour in to replace would further hamper an already offensively inept backend.

Last edited:
Reactions: thusk and Buds17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad