Value of: Montreal Trading Down at the Draft

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
When you list 4 people they could trade up for though you're really just look for 9-14 spots. At which point trading outside the top 10 is crazy

I don't know. One of those teams could easily have Silayev for example as 3rd on their list.

Maybe they see a big separation between one and the rest. That seems to be how the mocks and scout interviews have gone this far.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If Montreal doesn't have anyone they are crazy about at 24, would SJ be interested in the pick for 33 and 42? I think there will be players in the 2nd round that would be a big reach at 24 like Poirier or a faller that won't be there by the time the Colorado pick is selected.
Right now, Montreal is at 27. For them to get to 24, Boston, Colorado, and Edmonton would all need to reach the next round. However, if that did happen, I think the Sharks would be open to moving up there but there'd have to be something else attached coming back. 33 and 42 for 24 and 58 would probably work.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Scenario:

Celebrini, Demidov, Levshunov and Lindstrom go 1-2-3-4.

This leaves the next group of Dmen: Buium, Silayev, Parekh, Dickinson.

For teams in the 6-14 range, what would you offer in addition to your pick for first dibs on that group of Dmen?
Most I see is for a 2nd with Ottawa. Habs chose Sennecke at 7.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
it's possible depending on the board, but I think given how this draft is viewed I'd rather have the 2 shots after 15 than 24, with 16-45 kind of all over the place. i like Alfons freij alot but he could very well be at 33
Where do you think Maxim Masse gets drafted first or second round?Like to see Les Canadiens take him a good all round RWinger

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
Its already tough to sell rebuild to Montreal market. You just cannot drop a top 5 pick and ask to continue the rebuild after and you know it.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Right now, Montreal is at 27. For them to get to 24, Boston, Colorado, and Edmonton would all need to reach the next round. However, if that did happen, I think the Sharks would be open to moving up there but there'd have to be something else attached coming back. 33 and 42 for 24 and 58 would probably work.
Look at the pick chart, Habs get taken to the cleaner with that offer of yours. Aint happening

How about Jets 1st + Mesar + Struble for #14? :sarcasm:
That offer is actually beyter than the shitty offer your partner made... You don't get ib the top5 without losing a significant piece.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Souker

Feb 10, 2020
Scenario:

Celebrini, Demidov, Levshunov and Lindstrom go 1-2-3-4.

This leaves the next group of Dmen: Buium, Silayev, Parekh, Dickinson.

For teams in the 6-14 range, what would you offer in addition to your pick for first dibs on that group of Dmen?

Then Habs draft Silayev. Idc if we have a lot of defencemen in the pipeline, they’re gold and easily tradable. Let’s not ignore the BPA just because we have that position covered.
Besides, we never know how some of our current prospects might develop.
Only scenario we pick Iginla over any of these D, is only if they saw him as equivalent or better.
I doubt we trading down. If we trade this pick it’s for a young established player.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I doubt Minnesota would give anything substantial to move up. Probably something like #13+prospect not named Yurov/Ohgren/Wallstedt+#45

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Look at the pick chart, Habs get taken to the cleaner with that offer of yours. Aint happening

That offer is actually beyter than the shitty offer your partner made... You don't get ib the top5 without losing a significant piece.
That offer I sarcastically posted was also not good. Different degrees of not good, but not good.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
That's not how this works. The trade is for the right to draft whoever you want at No. 5, not a group of specific defensemen.

I suspect that in the end, a lot of good forwards get drafted from No. 5-10, as teams draft for positional need more often than people acknowledge (just as the OP thinks the Habs mean to do). If the Habs pass on an Iginla and trade down, I don't think he's there for more than a couple of picks. If they want a forward, just draft one, because the next five or six picks won't end up being as heavily tilted towards D as the draftniks predict.

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
In that scenario pick the best player available if they are outstanding. Add quality to the team, not need. If that's a D and you have lots of young D-men already, trade one of the lesser guys for a forward.

Or if you really think a guy at 9-10 is your guy, and the best player for your team, just select them.

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
If Montreal doesn't have anyone they are crazy about at 24, would SJ be interested in the pick for 33 and 42? I think there will be players in the 2nd round that would be a big reach at 24 like Poirier or a faller that won't be there by the time the Colorado pick is selected.
The Canadiens already have 12 picks this year. If they're not crazy about anyone at #24 they either package the pick to move up in the draft, or use the pick in a trade like they made for Newhook.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada

You really went against your own point here because looking at a pick value chart 14+33+42 is just worth more than 5th overall. So in terms of pick value alone, the Habs actually win that trade. Not saying it would happen.

If the habs pick stays at 24 and then 58 is added. A fair trade with the sharks using 33+42 would be:

24 and 58 for 33, 42, + TBL 3rd. Value is almost even.

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
The Canadiens already have 12 picks this year. If they're not crazy about anyone at #24 they either package the pick to move up in the draft, or use the pick in a trade like they made for Newhook.
The idea is to have more darts in the 2nd round. The 12 picks are mainly in the late rounds. Next year the picks are higher.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

They hardly get taken to the cleaners with that offer. Montreal fans also shouldn't be pretending like that pick is 24 when it's really 27.

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
The idea is to have more darts in the 2nd round. The 12 picks are mainly in the late rounds. Next year the picks are higher.
The Canadiens don't need "more darts" in the 2nd round while losing a 1st round pick. They have two picks in the 1st round, one in the 2nd, two in the 3rd, and twelve total. In 2025 they have two picks in the first round, two in the 2nd, three in the 3rd, and twelve total. Montreal needs quality players, not even more draft picks.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Dont get fancy...Take Iginla at #5 and then go get a pizza.

You can get fancy with the other assets., Flames 1st and The Jets 1st and a few other assets to move into the early teens.

Yup! Easy decision for me too. I really like what I see with Iginla.

My strategy would be Iggy at 5 and try to trade up with the Jets 1st. Might not work but that would be my plan B.

Plan A: Take Iggy 5th. Don't worry about taking him "too early". Only way I get stopped in my tracks is if Demidov slips. Tough call for me to make there. Most pick Demidov but it's close for me.

Plan B: Try to use the Jets 1st, Avs 2nd, Mesar to move to around 12-18 range. If no team bites, move to plan C.

Plan C: Explore options at another Newhook type trade. Never know who might become available.

Plan D: Just keep drafting and take someone 24-27th with the Jets 1st.

I have zero interest in trading down. If a team wants to call us, let them but doubt they will offer the incentive we need to make the trade.

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
I don't see them moving down in the draft. If they do anything, they're going to package to trade up, draft at 5 or trade it for something that fills a need now. They have way too many futures as it is (4 1sts in the next 2 drafts) with a lot of drafted prospects in the pipe already. At some point you need that one quality piece. Whether that's drafting him, whether it's moving a lot of futures to get him, that will be up to management to decide. Do you see them having 30 prospects competing for 3-4 jobs in the next few years or having that 1st liner/1st pairing penciled in? They have enough depth, they need that allusive elite piece. I'd rather have one sure thing than 10 lottery tickets.

Last edited:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
The Canadiens don't need "more darts" in the 2nd round while losing a 1st round pick. They have two picks in the 1st round, one in the 2nd, two in the 3rd, and twelve total. In 2025 they have two picks in the first round, two in the 2nd, three in the 3rd, and twelve total. Montreal needs quality players, not even more draft picks.
I'm quite sure Habs pick going to be Ignila. They think he is going to be like his father. Another Brady draft situation. Unless something crazy happens at draft. They spent too much time on him not to be heavily interested. Hughes is known to go semi against the grain. He picked Slaf when everybody said Wright. He picked Reinbacher when everybody thought it was Michkov or Leonard

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
In that scenario pick the best player available if they are outstanding. Add quality to the team, not need. If that's a D and you have lots of young D-men already, trade one of the lesser guys for a forward.

Or if you really think a guy at 9-10 is your guy, and the best player for your team, just select them.

Yup, all this trade up/down talk is fun but low probability.

Habs are going to take the BPA according to our draft board. That guy for me is Iggy. I don't like the idea of trading down and risk losing your target. If the Habs scouts like Iggy, Sennecke, or Catton that's who we will take at 5.

I'm quite sure Habs pick going to be Ignila. They think he is going to be like his father. Another Brady draft situation. Unless something crazy happens at draft. They spent too much time on him not to be heavily interested. Hughes is known to go semi against the grain. He picked Slaf when everybody said Wright. He picked Reinbacher when everybody thought it was Michkov or Leonard

Be careful with the "like his father" statement. Some fans get sticky with it. He has his Father's shot but different style of game after that. Tij's skating and vision is very good. He's a play making winger who can score.

I do think Iggy is our front runner for our pick. Hard to say who our scouts like between Iggy, Catton, Sennecke, and Lindstrom. Doubt Demidov slips but possible.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad