Value of: Mitch Marner this offseason (2.5 mil retained)

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Nobody is expecting a team like Chicago to give up (extremely high) picks but Vegas, Tampa, Edmonton, etc have shown they don't give a f*** and will go after who they want regardless of the (late first round) picks.

Getting a top prospect with 2 firsts isn't really the structure of a Marner deal though.

None of those teams can afford his extension/cap

Also, TB is tapped light on futures at this point to trade and after the Jeannot debacle cant afford to throw away more

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
None of those teams can afford his extension/cap

Also, TB is tapped light on futures at this point to trade and after the Jeannot debacle cant afford to throw away more
Oh for sure, not saying it would happen or even be likely but I think the "2 firsts" part wouldn't be the deal breaker for a contender that thinks he can help.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Honestly I have no idea what kind of value Marner would have in this market. Could be a lot, could be not very much. With one year left who is looking to add a Mitch Marner as the missing piece. Probably nobody, even retained. Maybe Winnipeg gets desperate if they're out in 5?

If the Leafs do trade him I could see him in Utah, new team new owner wanting to make a splash and spend some money on a player that can make plays. Armstrong has a ton of picks in the next two drafts to work with.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Some team is going to sign him for big dollars and regret it. Anything over 8.5 for him is too much. I wouldnt even give him that. The regular season is when players make money. The playoffs are when the team makes $. He is a bad investment
When guys like Huberdeau, Gaudreau, PLD, Caufield ect ect have all made around that number or higher recently, over 8.5 definitely isn't to much for him. He also ranks 22nd in playoff PPG since 2022 so although he hasn't lived up to expectation he definitely hasn't been awful.

After watching Makar and Hughes last night, a fast skating D man who can move the puck is becoming more and more important and that Leafs D isn't that. Plus a goalie, plus forwards who you hate playing against, plus a new coach.
would love for them to target Montour this off-season. would fill such a big need for them

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Nobody is expecting a team like Chicago to give up (extremely high) picks but Vegas, Tampa, Edmonton, etc have shown they don't give a f*** and will go after who they want regardless of the (late first round) picks.

Getting a top prospect with 2 firsts isn't really the structure of a Marner deal though.

Tampa?!?! Lol

They have no 1sts or top prospects…(or cap space)

Reactions: OTC

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Phil "Hot dog boy/ Winger you can't win with" Kessel was traded coming a 61 point season where he completely quit, with a lot of years left on a big contract, fitness based questions of his longevity, trade protection that he leveraged to take the market down to 1-2 teams, by a rookie GM and along with a 2nd returned
-A playoff protected 1st
-3rd
-Top ~30-40 prospect league wide a year away from being picked 1st round
-a thought to be near NHL ready defense prospect
-25point defensive depth forward

Marner is an objectively better player and more attractive asset than Kessel was at that time

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I'm very curious to see what his next contract will be. He's already making nearly 11M and at his age, he'll expect a raise. I don't think he's an 11M player right now, so I certainly wouldn't give him more.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Marner to me is like Gaudreau... A very skilled forward and 100+ pts potential when in the mix of other good forwards and a good center. When he is not in that mix, go see Gaudreau's season this past year.

I just don't see the Leafs getting the 1/1 trade they are looking for (if they move Marner). However, they could do a package trade and get a younger piece on D and maybe a goalie.

Leafs problem is grit in key areas but they need to improve that D core. Pietrangelo was the guy the Leafs needed to sign. Cap problems yes but that's who they needed to sign back when.

Marner has a NMC... He's not likely to waive it for a playoff pretender. Maybe he waives it for the Kings and PLD comes the other way. What else is added... not sure. Dubois's NMC kicks in July 1st.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
2. He hasn't played well in the playoffs at all, not just this year.
He did earlier in his career. Marner was great in the Washington series and first Boston series. Second Boston alright.

From the bubble season on though he has been a black hole...There is just nothing there.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I'm not disagreeing with you. He will ask for 12 no doubt. If any GM is actually watching this team though, they would have to be a complete dumb f*** to give that guy 12 million over 8 years. It must be common sense at this point, that he is no where near his current 10.9 let alone 12. Hopefully its Trevilling that commits that much.
Look at Johnny hockey and Marner is a much better overall player.

The mix in Toronto is wrong but people dumping on Marner are showing their bias or lack of hockey knowledge.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad