News Article: McQuaid Recovering from Blood Clot Surgery

Malt

Jul 6, 2007
Providence, RI
If the NHL season had started on time it wouldn’t have mattered for Adam McQuaid.

The rugged Bruins defenseman told CSNNE.com he underwent surgery in early October for thoracic outlet syndrome after a blood clot developed under his collarbone. The surgery would have knocked him out until late January or early February.

McQuaid, 26, said his right arm “blew up†after one of the skating sessions at Harvard University in mid-September. He needed to undergo two significant surgeries at Mass General Hospital within a couple of weeks of each other, one to remove the dangerous clot, and another to prevent the condition from recurring in his arm.

http://www.csnne.com/hockey-boston-...m-blood-clot-surge?blockID=815349&feedID=3352

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Adam McQuaid recovering from blood clot surgery

http://www.csnne.com/hockey-boston-...m-blood-clot-surge?blockID=815349&feedID=3352

If the NHL season had started on time it wouldn’t have mattered for Adam McQuaid.

The rugged Bruins defenseman told CSNNE.com he underwent surgery in early October for thoracic outlet syndrome after a blood clot developed under his collarbone. The surgery would have knocked him out until late January or early February.

McQuaid, 26, said his right arm “blew up†after one of the skating sessions at Harvard University in mid-September. He needed to undergo two significant surgeries at Mass General Hospital within a couple of weeks of each other, one to remove the dangerous clot, and another to prevent the condition from recurring in his arm.

McQuaid needed to have an entire rib removed along with part of his neck muscle as part of the procedure. He has been recovering slowly in the Boston area since then.

According to McQuaid, the injury can sometimes be caused by whiplash, and might have been the reason he had experienced neck injuries in each of the last few seasons – most notably in the playoffs against the Flyers during Boston’s Stanley Cup run.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
He's lucky he is still alive...Had he been playing contact hockey it would have been dislodged and wound up killing him.... Good Lord. I wonder if he knew he had the syndrome to begin with...that is no joke...and when it causes a bloodclot that is beyond serious.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
wow lucky for him that there is a lockout. early October would have been early season. What if he was on a plane after a game and this happend. It could have been bad very bad.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Holy ****.

Thank God he & the medical people found it/fixed in time.

Get well soon Quaider!!!

It also answers the question why he didn't go to Europe or elsewhere to play during the lockout.

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
He's lucky he is still alive...Had he been playing contact hockey it would have been dislodged and wound up killing him.... Good Lord. I wonder if he knew he had the syndrome to begin with...that is no joke...and when it causes a bloodclot that is beyond serious.

Yup. Lucky is right. It could have killed him.

Hopefully, overall, his luck changes for the better now. For a guy as physical as he is, he's had some really unlucky breaks. We need him back.

CLIFFY HOCKEY

Jan 27, 2008
Norton MA
I wonder how long this has been affecting him, It was really confusing when he missed games with ''neck issues'' etc etc, I just assumed he had post concussion syndrome and the B's medical staff was just keeping it secret or something? I guess this explains it, kinda?

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Those must have been expensive surgeries at MGH. Who pays for that? Does the PA take out insurance to offer its members? Or are they left to their own resources?

Edit: Should have read the whole article first....dah!

Last edited:

Dojji*

Hope it doesn't affect him on the ice. Sometimes a guy has something like that happen and they start thinking about mortality. This kid could be scary good -- big strong stay-at-homer with good instincts and an unbelievable nasty streak. Hope to see him at his best the next time the B's hit the ice.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Hope it doesn't affect him on the ice. Sometimes a guy has something like that happen and they start thinking about mortality. This kid could be scary good -- big strong stay-at-homer with good instincts and an unbelievable nasty streak. Hope to see him at his best the next time the B's hit the ice.

Agreed. Good solid bottom pair stay at homer. Intimimidating presence who can take on middle and light heavyweights. Punches to hurt, which I love.

Kudos to FO for getting him for a fifth rounder. Has worked out nicely.

Dojji*

On the other hand, this means Q could be hitting the ice with something to prove.

And I dunno about "bottom pairing" long term. I think McQuaid skates a bit too well and is a bit too intimidating a defenseman to stay on the bottom pairing for his career. Having a guy like him on the bottom pairing is quite a luxury -- a team that wasn't so stacked would be featuring him on a middle pairing right now. And I think the kid has a chance to improve his stock, especially if he can speed up his decision making even a bit in the offensive zone -- you always see him trying to do the right things offensively, if he was any better at them he'd be able to put up 20-30 points in a season. At that point you'd be looking at a guy who you might be able to sneak into a top pairing

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Get well soon Quaider, still hard to believe he was obtained for a 5th rounder, at the time, had no bloody idea who this kid was

doc5hole

Nov 30, 2003
www.southcoasttoday.com
We'll know he's back next time he's in ref-clinch and a guy is trying to get at him and he's just smiling back like, "Wait -- you really wanna go? Nice! Meet me back here in two minutes ..."

doc5hole

Nov 30, 2003
www.southcoasttoday.com
BTW, Quaider was 55th overall in '05 with CLB so many scouts obviously felt he could play. Teams aren't using those picks on guys they project as bottom-feeders, but he does seem ideal for Boston in that third pairing. If he's not ready to go if the NHL is going play, then I'm thinking as follows:

33ZC ... 44DS
21AF ... 55JB
12MB ... 27DH
47TK

If Hamilton hits the ice running, then an apprenticeship with Z is the most traditional scenario (ie. Orr-Sims, Park-Milbury, Bourque-McLaren, then Gill) with balanced ice as Seids is always up there.

33ZC ... 27DH
21AF ... 55JB
12MB ... 44DS
47TK

If you factor in Trotman, he's the only prospect besides Hamilton who shoots right. Bart, Krug and Warsofsky shoot left, and Seids is the only defenseman Julien skates regularly stick-inside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad