Player Discussion Matt Rempe - See Mod Note Post 769

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
A few of the hits he threw last night sounded different. Thunderous. There's a place for him in the league being a version of Reaves who can actually skate the puck up ice.

When Reaves would throw the body, it just made a different kind of a Thud. Loud. Like you could feel the force behind the hit when you were watching live.

Rempe seems to have that same Thud. That was the first thing I thought of when he was playing the body along the boards. Reminded me of Reaves.

Totally agree on the skating part as well. Not just from a speed perspective. Even his edgework. Its par for NHL, and way ahead of most of the larger bodied players in the game now. I hope he sticks around some.

Prior to i feel like the 4th line had no identity. It was just Vesey. And he has been tremendous. But now I feel like there's something brewing with the 4th line with Rempe and of course Edstrom as well. Actually feeling like the entire bottom 6 has an identity now. Of course with the TDL looming im guessing this will change for a shiny new toy. Would really like to see CM Chris give these guys a chance to stay.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
When Reaves would throw the body, it just made a different kind of a Thud. Loud. Like you could feel the force behind the hit when you were watching live.

Rempe seems to have that same Thud. That was the first thing I thought of when he was playing the body along the boards. Reminded me of Reaves.

Totally agree on the skating part as well. Not just from a speed perspective. Even his edgework. Its par for NHL, and way ahead of most of the larger bodied players in the game now. I hope he sticks around some.

Prior to i feel like the 4th line had no identity. It was just Vesey. And he has been tremendous. But now I feel like there's something brewing with the 4th line with Rempe and of course Edstrom as well. Actually feeling like the entire bottom 6 has an identity now. Of course with the TDL looming im guessing this will change for a shiny new toy. Would really like to see CM Chris give these guys a chance to stay.

Large physical wingers with defensively responsible centers i the bottom 6 now. I love it.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY

Was saying exactly this to my wife last night as we were on the way home from the game.

Also, I feel like the team is more physical with him in the lineup. Almost like every shift he has it's a reminder that playing physical is an element of the game not to be forgotten and he's giving them that little extra umph.

will1066

Tarasenko: most dollar store player of all time
Oct 12, 2008

Replace Goodrow with a hulking center and it becomes a 3-headed monster, or King Ghidorah line.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
I saw him at one point pull away from a back-checker in the first period. The kid has wheels. He and Edstrom are not just good skaters for their size, they're good skaters

Here it is

From a kid from Calgary hearing that roar from the crowd in “The World’s Most Famous Arena “ must be an insane adrenaline rush.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Apparently, Martin approached him and asked him if wanted to go during Sunday's game.

It's silly, but that type of thing could have an effect on Rempe sticking in this league.

It was very cool of Martin to give Rempe an opportunity to make his mark. I always respected him.
Toxic culture

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
All uber-big guys look very awkward skating ESPECIALLY early in their careers. Part of it has to do with not having enough weight to carry such a big frame. Rempe is already almost 240 lbs but we saw how skinny he looks. His fully developed weight will likely be 20 lbs heavier and then his skating will be more effective and lol more aesthetic.

Last night it was pretty obvious what a nightmare it is to play against him and Edstrom - always bodies or sticks in a way that are impossible to get through anywhere on the ice.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I really like this guy. I hope the Rangers are smart and keep him around. Guy is an absolute monster and can play and skate and crushes people and can fight.

Literally nothing to not like about this player. Just keep him out there with Edstrom and let those two loose to do their thing.

I’m sure he’s going down and will have a shot next year

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Fast forward to the late rounds of the '24 draft and everyone goes monkey if we draft a hoss.

Reactions: bhamill

EdJovanovski

#RempeForConnSmythe
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
My new favorite player on the team after Panarin. He has the swagger & showmanship that our team needs, dropping the gloves with Matt Martin before the puck even dropped on his first NHL shift in front of 70K fans, amazing. And his backstory is really nice too, that first NHL game was on the 6th anniversary of his father's passing. Such a special thing for his family, really hope he sticks around. He's the kind of player we were missing, and on top of it all he can SKATE

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
My new favorite player on the team after Panarin. He has the swagger & showmanship that our team needs, dropping the gloves with Matt Martin before the puck even dropped on his first NHL shift in front of 70K fans, amazing. And his backstory is really nice too, that first NHL game was on the 6th anniversary of his father's passing. Such a special thing for his family, really hope he sticks around. He's the kind of player we were missing, and on top of it all he can SKATE
AND he’s going to get heavier and better.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I like Rempe like the rest but the kid is playing around 4 minutes a game. I know a lot of factors involved but if this is gonna continue he should be back in the AHL. The games he's been here have been close but still Lav is gonna have to trust him to play 8-10 min at least or send him down.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
I like Rempe like the rest but the kid is playing around 4 minutes a game. I know a lot of factors involved but if this is gonna continue he should be back in the AHL. The games he's been here have been close but still Lav is gonna have to trust him to play 8-10 min at least or send him down.
i’m not sure about that, he plays on the 4th line there too with ECHL caliber players

Reactions: romba

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Wasn’t Rempe someone who everyone here was blasting as a draft pick and for the rangers giving him a contract and laughing at hearing the rangers really liked him as a prospect

The Rangers signed Rempe not too long after drafting him though which opened my eyes to them seeing something that most fans really didn't which I think I mentioned back then.....a few times. To be fair I wasn't seeing a whole lot either except for a huge palooka with awkward skating and not very good balance. He did play against the Flyers in the rookie games and got into a fight and numerous scrums and showed he didn't mind talking shit and getting under skins. I remember Gallant (not Laviolette) playing him in a preseason game against either Jersey, Islanders or Boston and I think it was at his first training camp which again is something that should catch fans attention.....6th round just drafted guys don't ever ever get into preseason games. This year in preseason he played in both Islander games.

I've also noted a number of times and anyone paying attention probably noticed too that the Rangers have been drafting some big bodies particularly in later rounds.....also signing big body undrafted free agents out of the NCAA. This has been an ongoing project starting with Gorton and going into Drury. Last year with Roobroeck another 6'7 guy. Of them all Rempe probably comes across as the least skilled but OTOH has made the biggest impression and the most progress in a short period of time. It also points to a drafting strategy where we're not always trying to swing for a home run putting our hopes into late rounders magically turning into top 6 scoring forwards by just looking at production stats. It's more like looking for large sized guys who aren't going to put up tons of production but instead might fill in bottom line roles.

Last edited:

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
The Rangers signed Rempe not too long after drafting him though which opened my eyes to them seeing something that most fans really didn't which I think I mentioned back then.....a few times. To be fair I wasn't seeing a whole lot either except for a huge palooka with awkward skating and not very good balance. He did play against the Flyers in the rookie games and got into a fight and numerous scrums and showed he didn't mind talking shit and getting under skins. I remember Gallant (not Laviolette) playing him in a preseason game against either Jersey, Islanders or Boston and I think it was at his first training camp which again is something that should catch fans attention.....6th round just drafted guys don't ever ever get into preseason games. This year in preseason he played in both Islander games.

I've also noted a number of times and anyone paying attention probably noticed too that the Rangers have been drafting some big bodies particularly in later rounds.....also signing big body undrafted free agents out of the NCAA. This has been an ongoing project starting with Gorton and going into Drury. Last year with Roobroeck another 6'7 guy. Of them all Rempe probably comes across as the least skilled but OTOH has made the biggest impression and the most progress in a short period of time. It also points to a drafting strategy where we're not always trying to swing for a home run putting our hopes into late rounders magically turning into top 6 scoring forwards by just looking at production stats. It's more like looking for large sized guys who aren't going to put up tons of production but instead might fill in bottom line roles.
Fully agree. The best way to develop bottom 6 players is to draft players who have the qualities you want in a bottom 6 player, rather than drafting the guy you hope can be top 6 and only slotting him bottom 6 when he fails to reach that ceiling. Most of the latter won't have the necessary attributes to be effective bottom 6 players and will end up as career AHLers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad