Player Discussion Marner

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Yes that’s all old stuff, you didn’t highlight Marners quite. Apparently there is a quote from Marner himself. I’m curious what he said.
Remember the old days when links needed to be provided to back up these statements?

Not sure what quote exactly you're looking for ..

This one?

In his latest for The Athletic, LeBrun revealed that even though the Leafs have not attempted to engage in extension talks, Marner's camp, led by the notorious Darren Ferris, does not plan on engaging in them any time soon either, which will complicate matters for the Leafs this off-season.

"That also means I don't think there's an appetite to talk extension come July 1. The preference from the Marner camp is to start the season and see how things go," wrote LeBrun. "Perhaps there are talks on an extension eventually, but I don't believe there's a strong desire to get into them this summer."

With one year left on his current deal that carries a $10.9M cap hit, the Leafs are seemingly being forced to 'run it back' again next season, but not because they want to.

Link :

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Yes that’s all old stuff, you didn’t highlight Marners quite. Apparently there is a quote from Marner himself. I’m curious what he said.
Remember the old days when links needed to be provided to back up these statements?

Is this the quote you're looking for?

'We're looked upon as gods': Maple Leafs' Marner after another 1st-round playoff exit​

1717642014229.png

Mitch Marner stepped in front of the cameras and spoke to reporters for roughly three minutes.

The Maple Leafs winger — a lightning rod of criticism in the aftermath of Toronto's latest playoff failure — said he would like to stay long-term with the organization he cheered on as a kid growing up just north of the city.

"It means the world," Marner said Monday of suiting up for the Original Six franchise. "We're looked upon as kind of gods here, to be honest. Something that you really appreciate.

"The love that you get here from this fan base … this attention is [unlike] any other."

Reactions: arso40

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Yes, but if he wants that 8th year, he has no choice except to work with the Leafs because he sure ain't getting paid $12 million in the 8th year when he's 35 years old if he signs a 7 year contract elsewhere.

Over his career he's going to make close on 150M, I'm sure the 8th year is important but he's still going to be doing pretty well for himself

Reactions: bax

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Marners camp anchoring first through public channels ain't a good sign. I suspect to facilitate a trade now includes communicating that Marner is not part of the long term program...or next years program.

That would be pretty bold, and Marners camp probably betting they won't go down that road. Ferris is aggressive and life is going to get complicated for Tre if he decides to battle.

Alternatively it could be them trying to pressure for a quick extension (on their terms).

Though overall not quite sure how to interpret Ferris talking to the media like this

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Alternatively it could be them trying to pressure for a quick extension (on their terms).

Though overall not quite sure how to interpret Ferris talking to the media like this
Given the current climate that seems unlikely.

I would speculate that it's a power move, motioning to Tre that he won't be able to use soft negotiating to navigate his way to comfortable conditions while balancing trade discussions.

He's saying, if they want to move Marner, they better go nuclear. Don't waste his time unless they have the balls to bring up Mitch next season. Ferris is confidently making the first public move - he's controlling the terms of the negotiation, doesn't think Tre will go down that road, and feels he can win that battle if they do.

He's comfortable with fighting in the mud, and doesn't believe the Leafs will risk getting dirty - so just knock it off right now.

He might be right.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Given the current climate that seems unlikely.

I would speculate that it's a power move, motioning to Tre that he won't be able to use soft negotiating to navigate his way to comfortable conditions while balancing trade discussions.

He's saying, if they want to move Marner, they better go nuclear. Don't waste his time unless they have the balls to bring up Mitch next season. Ferris is confidently making the first public move - he's controlling the terms of the negotiation, doesn't think Tre will go down that road, and feels he can win that battle if they do.

He's comfortable with fighting in the mud, and doesn't believe the Leafs will risk getting dirty - so just knock it off right now.

He might be right.
To me reading the tea leaves it seems Leafs organization would like to move on and wish Marner will cooperate.

Ferris his agent speaking on behalf of their side, seems to be saying not so fast and we're not going willingly. Mitch will be honouring the last year of his contract which is his right.

Sounds like a messy divorce in the making.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad