Marner has reportedly hired private security and is refusing to speak with some members of the media

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Matthews actually has a fractionally lower carrer PpG than Marner in the playoffs. If that doesn't show you Marner is 'The Fall Guy' then you're just being stubborn.

Neither of them has performed well, and certainly not well enough to justify their contracts. But Matthews has a new contract, Bitchy Mitchy doesn't. That doesn't make him the fall guy, it makes him the expendable guy.

If people think Marner is God, then the problem is not likely Marner.

You don't grasp the reference.

Nogatco Rd

noble man who is loved by many animal
Apr 3, 2021
Matthews actually has a fractionally lower carrer PpG than Marner in the playoffs. If that doesn't show you Marner is 'The Fall Guy' then you're just being stubborn.
i guess it depends on what you mean by "fall guy." they're both taking a lot of heat right now. i think it's fairly obvious why people are more prepared to part ways with marner than with matthews though. the stat you're citing doesn't really change that.

Reactions: KevinRedkey

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
that is so much cap space to rework the team. This is all assuming they make smart moves once the cap space is available. Given their recent record I dont have much faith in that but I guess time will tell.
I also have zero faith in that management group's ability to make smart moves with the cap space. It's gonna be a rough couple of years.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
You don't grasp the reference.

You're right, I don't. You guys take hockey way too seriously up there, but then there are people down here that burn down their city after their team wins the Superbowl.

The media up there seems way too harsh on hockey players. The media down here, particularly my home town, are way too soft. Somewhere in-between is the happy medium, imo.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
You're right, I don't. You guys take hockey way too seriously up there, but then there are people down here that burn down their city after their team wins the Superbowl.

The media up there seems way too harsh on hockey players. The media down here, particularly my home town, are way too soft. Somewhere in-between is the happy medium, imo.

Could be worse, there have been countries that have shot their players when they lost in games.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Canadian vs American market. Up here when the club is winning the elite players are treated like Gods. When it turns there is no where to hide. Total anonymity down south, regardless of winning or losing. MM controls where he goes next and 100% it will be down south.
Pretty broad brush, ask Cujo which stop was more difficult Detroit or Toronto.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Yep... that's why most sports have went from tracking very detailed advanced stats to merely checking career points per game. Much more accurate to judge an athletes contributions!

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
Marner got spotted

peter.gif

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Wouldn’t a great many Wings’ fans be Canadians?
Windsor is pretty split, the vast majority of the Wings fan base is going to be American though.

I think the fish bowl can be overlooked by the difference in how I find the sports media. I listen to TSN Overdrive and some of the other programming a lot just because of the hockey talk and I like the three guys. They are pretty charmin soft compared to the Detroit radio guys.

Yes you will have some markets that don’t care about hockey. But I think it is wrong to think some of the longer standing markets aren’t very hard. I also find sports programming to be a lot harsher in a lot of American markets than when I have tuned in for sports talk in some of the various Canadian cities. The reality is when you’re struggling it is tough to be a public figure pretty much anywhere. But Philly and Detroit aren’t going to be easier to be a goalie in than Toronto in my opinion.

Detroit also has gone from an open market to one that is kept at arms length by Yzerman. This actually dates back to his playing days where after the almost trade to Ottawa he took a very tough stance on the media for the abuse he received before winning.

Last edited:

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
there are 1000 reasons to prove the media has decided to make MM the fall guy. Why the media in general is not going after JT like they are MM is something that needs explaining,

Reactions: KevinRedkey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad