Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Interesting note from last night.
Both goals, all the assists, and the win all came from Leaf draft and develops.

Three first rounders, a second and a fourth.
Nice catch

A far cry from the Leafs I grew up watching in the 90's and early 2000's where we'd just buy players and sell off all picks and prospects. I firmly believe as a franchise we had the hardest time adjusting to the salary cap era for that very reason. it took a good 10 years of major pain and suffering before we finally realized the importance of drafting and developing. Say what you will about our current core group, but there really has been no shortage of talent in our organization since ~2015

So nice to see a second wave of prospects come into the fold to compliment the "pioneers" of this new philosophy. You could make an argument that Matthew Knies has been our best 5v5 player all post season. He's always shown that he can hang at the NHL level, but you can tell he has found something these past 6 games where he realizes just how impactful he can be. Very similar to the JVR coming out party in 2010-11

Not to mention the best player the past 2 games for maybe either team, Joe Woll

#LeafsForever

Yep, 6'4", 200 lbs. 18 year old nerds.
Don't forget 6'2", 192 lbs. of piano playing Minten.
Don't forget Joe Woll plays piano too...

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Minten and Lisowski tied 2-2 in the WHL

Cowan and the Knights up 3-1 on Saginaw

I think Cowan is doing well this post-season, offense doesn't come as quick in the post-season and he's doing the defensive work.
I’m starting to wonder if it’s Lisowsky who doesn’t want to sign? He’s certainly had a nice playoff, it’s not like the Leaf cupboards are filled to the brim (not me complaining about the system).
Maybe he sees 4 young guys who play his position on the team, and a couple others pushing and doesn’t like his chances? He’s a BC kid, maybe he’d rather take his trade closer to home? I have no real idea, just spitballing.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
If Minten can be a solid 3c with defense and leadership that’s a good win. Like a smaller staal would be insane.

Knies. Matthews. Marner
Xxxxx. Cowan. Nylander
Grebs. Minten. Robertson
Dewar. Quillan. Holmberg.

Not great depth but some peices.

At least 1 more top 6 f (hopefully a c) is key

We have nothing really on D.

Maybe topi turns out? I had hope for villeneuve but not seeing it now

Not sure if we should target C or D this draft.

Reactions: arso40

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
If Minten can be a solid 3c with defense and leadership that’s a good win. Like a smaller staal would be insane.

Knies. Matthews. Marner
Xxxxx. Cowan. Nylander
Grebs. Minten. Robertson

That decision to some extent hinges on whether Cowan can fill the 2 C role. And as the playoffs have reinforced, we need a PP quarterback. It isn't Reilly, and I'm not sure Topi could fill it.

Reactions: horner

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
This is looking pretty good right now:

1714832110914.png

Is Liswosky going to be offered?
Not sure what else he could have done except grow.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
This is looking pretty good right now:

View attachment 864565

Is Liswosky going to be offered?
Not sure what else he could have done except grow.

I think he's got all the tools to be a project for 2-3 years with the Marlies. He's got a great shot, he's greasy around the net and has some good hustle. He's not the fastest for his size but I think in time he could an interesting player to keep an eye on. At the worse, I think you have a pretty solid AHLer.

I'd be surprised if the Leafs sign him at this rate but I hope they do.

Last edited:
Reactions: aingefan

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I think he's got all the tools to be a project for 2-3 years with the Marlies. He's got a great shot, he's greasy around the net and has some good hustle. He's not the fastest for his size but I think in time he could an interesting player to keep an eye on. At the worse, I think you have a pretty solid AHLer.

I'd be surprised if the Leafs sign him at this rate but I hope they do.
wonder if he'd accept an AHL deal?

Reactions: SprDaVE

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Haven’t watched the Marlies in quite some time, I remember a decent amount of hype regarding Villeneuve last year but haven’t heard much about him this year… With two years in the A, is he someone who may surprise us in camp? His playing style seems like it could work next to Benoit on the third pair. He’d be a cheap option as well allowing us to allocate more money into the top four.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
we may not have a true Blue chipper but we do have some interesting prospects in our pool between Greb, Cowan, Mints and Hildebeast.

Cowboy could be a real asset for us as soon as next season TBH

we may not have a true Blue chipper but we do have some interesting prospects in our pool between Greb, Cowan, Mints and Hildebeast.

Cowboy could be a real asset for us as soon as next season TBH
OHL mvp isn't blue chip? A 36 game pt streak? He keeps getting better. He is a top 6 forward one day.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002

Knies. Matthews. Marner
Xxxxx. Cowan. Nylander
Grebs. Minten. Robertson

Need both.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad