Mark Buehrle to start Jays finale & then retire following the game?

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005

2 innings today would get Buehrle to 200 innings for the 15th straight year, joining only four other pitchers in history to do that. He started on Friday. 2 starts in a 3-game series.

Buehrle is a class act and I'm glad Toronto is treating him the same way by letting him hit his personal milestone, despite being in a home-field advantage must win game. Love Buehrle.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
why not on postseason roster?
Seems like the Jays have selected Dickey over Buehrle (and rightfully so, Buehrle has struggled with soreness and pitched poorly as a result since the end of July). With Estrada, Stroman, and Price - there's no room. And Buehrle isn't a guy who is going to warm up in minutes to come into the game out of the pen.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Seems like the Jays have selected Dickey over Buehrle (and rightfully so, Buehrle has struggled with soreness and pitched poorly as a result since the end of July). With Estrada, Stroman, and Price - there's no room. And Buehrle isn't a guy who is going to warm up in minutes to come into the game out of the pen.

ah ok, havent paid too much attention to jays and i saw him at 15 wins and was confused haha

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Yup. As far as I know you can still be in the dugout even if you're not on the playoff roster.

Hell of a professional. I'm glad I got to see him pitch for a few years. Just wish his potential last start as a jay was at home. Win it for Buehrle.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
He'll still be with the team during the po's, right?
Yeah, Mike Wilner reported he'll stay with the team throughout the playoffs.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Jays have a lot of the spares in the dugout during the playoffs. They all seem really, really close.

Probably announcing his retirement to take away any "drama" the media would give if he's not on the roster.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah, Mike Wilner reported he'll stay with the team throughout the playoffs.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Jays have a lot of the spares in the dugout during the playoffs. They all seem really, really close.

Probably announcing his retirement to take away any "drama" the media would give if he's not on the roster.

Aka it'll shut Zaun up. Guy won't concede the idea of Buerhle being "a vet", "been there before" and "deserves it"

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
**** you Gibbons. I hate you. Buehrle likely doing the classy thing retiring to take away drama and you don't even let him finish.

Should have let him finish Friday for **** sakes.

My respect level for Gibbons just went to 0.

1Boliever

Previously HH
Jan 10, 2014
Canada
**** you Gibbons. I hate you. Buehrle likely doing the classy thing retiring to take away drama and you don't even let him finish.

Should have let him finish Friday for **** sakes.

My respect level for Gibbons just went to 0.

It's not Gibbons fault, it's That HORRIBLE umpire Marquez, he is the worst umpire in the history of Baseball AINEC.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
That just makes me even more mad that they didn't let Buehrle finish.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
It's not Gibbons fault, it's That HORRIBLE umpire Marquez, he is the worst umpire in the history of Baseball AINEC.
None of those pitches were strikes. Maybe one. Stop listening to Buck and Pat.

It's the defense's fault. Goins made an error he never makes. Edwin should have never touched that ball.

No reason to take him out at 7-0 pitching like that. Let him leave with some dignity.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA

Uhhhh... have you ever heard of Angel Hernandez? Joe West? CB Bucknor? Balkin Bob Davidson? Marty Foster?

Marquez isn't even near the worst of the worst :facepalm::help:

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I don't know why they started him. Give him the 2 innings in relief or something. This is just disgraceful.
Should have never took him out Friday. I was furious when it happened. 6.2 innings, only had one bad inning. 103 pitches. Let the guy go.

1Boliever

Previously HH
Jan 10, 2014
Canada
Uhhhh... have you ever heard of Angel Hernandez? Joe West? CB Bucknor? Balkin Bob Davidson? Marty Foster?

Marquez isn't even near the worst of the worst :facepalm::help:

Maybe I'm overreacting a little bit, but if you remember back to Roy Halladay's return, he's the umpire that refused to call a strike and was almost murdered by Jon Rauch. To me he is the biggest disgrace of an umpire.

1Boliever

Previously HH
Jan 10, 2014
Canada
None of those pitches were strikes. Maybe one. Stop listening to Buck and Pat.

It's the defense's fault. Goins made an error he never makes. Edwin should have never touched that ball.

No reason to take him out at 7-0 pitching like that. Let him leave with some dignity.
I wasn't listening to them, I'm an umpire myself.

I saw the pitches, they were close enough, to where you call them out of respect for a guy.

And yes the defense was a problem too.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I wasn't listening to them, I'm an umpire myself.

I saw the pitches, they were close enough, to where you call them out of respect for a guy.

And yes the defense was a problem too.
The ump is terrible. He's called the same pitches strikes for Moore.

Doesn't change the fact that they shouldn't have been called, IMO.

1Boliever

Previously HH
Jan 10, 2014
Canada
The ump is terrible. He's called the same pitches strikes for Moore.

Doesn't change the fact that they shouldn't have been called, IMO.

IMO, the pitches were borderline from Buehrle, and he has earned the benefit of the doubt throughout his career.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Perfect Game
World Series Winner
Consistency over a 15 years stretch
Over $145m Career Earnings

Great career. One of the most respected pitchers out there. Pretty much what you look for in a professional major leaguer. Belongs in the Hall of Good.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
There's nothing for Toronto to play for, correct. Don't really have a problem with starting him. But yea, 2 relief innings would have made more sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad