Marchand says injuring opponents is part of the playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

shootpucktouchdown

May 16, 2024
Yeah, this. Putting a hurt on someone is part of the game. Same for football.

Now, had he said he was trying to injure opponents, that'd be another thing. That differentiation isn't mere semantics.
"I don't want to injure anybody. There's a big difference between being hurt and being injured. You get hurt, you shake it off and come back the next series or the next game. I try to hurt people."

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Sure, the game will be much better once McDavid, Draisaitl, MacKinnon, Heiskanen, Tkachuk, Swayman, Aho, Panarin and Hughes are hurt and "taken out", so the plugs can get more icetime.

I don't get fans applauding to this.

This bush league still don't understand they have to protect their star players against this Neanderthal mentality.

I don't have an issue with the "hurting" part of Marchand's comment. I have an issue with the "taking out" part. This is just wrong.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Sure, the game will be much better once McDavid, Draisaitl, MacKinnon, Heiskanen, Tkachuk, Swayman, Aho, Panarin and Hughes are hurt and "taken out", so the plugs can get more icetime.

This bush league still don't understand they have to protect their star players against this Neanderthal mentality.

I don't have an issue with the "hurting" part of Marchand's comment. I have an issue with the "taking out" part. This is just wrong.

It's not about applauding it as much as acknowledging it.

Of course, you can go too far like the NFL where if you breathe on the QB you get a penalty.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Anyone complaining about Marchand’s comments is kidding themselves. The HHOF is littered with superstars who hit to hurt in the playoffs.

Seriously. Give me any team in the League and I’ll be happy to give you the name of a guy you no doubt love that would say the exact same thing.

Except Toronto. Not being able to clear the first round usually indicates a “can’t we all play nice?” approach to things.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois

It’s akin to cheering a big hit versus cheering an injured player. We can all agree that if a crowd is cheering as a guy is getting stretchered off, that’s ****ed up. But every barn in the league cheers like crazy when their guy delivers a big hit, and obviously nobody has an issue with that provided that it wasn’t dirty.

That’s the nature of physical games. Hitting hard is an acceptable part of the game, players trying to hit hard is understandable as a result, and fans getting stoked when a big hit happens is legitimately okay.

And I say that as a Hawks fan where hitting our guys was supposedly the secret sauce to win against Chicago, and when it didn’t work teams like Anaheim were utterly flummoxed.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
I think it's one thing to play within the confines of the rules and it's another thing to cheap-shot someone. Keegan Kolesar obliterated Tkachuk in last year's Final with one of the best and clean open-ice hits I've ever seen. Bennett's head shot on Marchand should have gotten him kicked out of the game and suspended. Big difference between the two

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
To be fair, he said hurt, not injure.

Most guys i assume are playing hurt at some point in the playoffs.
But he then follows it up with, 'the more guys you take out,' which implies injuring.

Yeah, this. Putting a hurt on someone is part of the game. Same for football.

Now, had he said he was trying to injure opponents, that'd be another thing. That differentiation isn't mere semantics.
But he did say that. His very next sentence

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg

Marchand doesn't give two shits about what you think is better for the game. He cares about winning

One of them "it's true but you shouldn't say it" moments.
Nothing wrong with saying it. Whiners will whine regardless

Reactions: Towers

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Anyone complaining about Marchand’s comments is kidding themselves. The HHOF is littered with superstars who hit to hurt in the playoffs.

Seriously. Give me any team in the League and I’ll be happy to give you the name of a guy you no doubt love that would say the exact same thing.

Except Toronto. Not being able to clear the first round usually indicates a “can’t we all play nice?” approach to things.
why is what happened 40 years ago relevant to today?

Mongo

Mongo likes candy!
Nov 27, 2008
Vermont
Anyone that thinks otherwise is absolutely fooling themselves. I've seen a few former players that don't condone what Bennett did, but at the same time they went to say that they'd love for him to play on their team because it's a needed part of playoff hockey.

It's dirty as hell, but until the NHL makes it not worth doing, it will continue to happen. Worst case scenario was Bennett gets a game for the sucker punch. In this case he got none and Marchand has been out 2 games now. Even if Bennett got a 1 game suspension it would still be - Advantage: Florida

So why not? Winning is way more important in professional leagues and the players' career than a 1 game suspension here and there.

Reactions: Towers

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I mean we all know that certain players are trying to injure their opponents when the opportunity arises, especially this time of year. I don't recall hearing anyone else openly admit it though.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
It's funny listening to all these losers use his comments to take shots at him.

He talked about being on the receiving end AND the giving end.

He didn't sugar coat anything or play the victim.

He spoke the truth nobody in the NHL will say.

If you can't respect that go back to the kiddy pages to post.

Mongo

Mongo likes candy!
Nov 27, 2008
Vermont
I read it as "I'm not going to whine about the league not calling anything. I'll take care of it".

Should be a fun one tonight. :popcorn:
This completely. Only I don't think it will be during this series. I think next season there will be some retribution. Marchand is smart enough to know the Bruins are better with him in the lineup. He won't (or at least shouldn't) be looking for payback in game 6 tomorrow or if needed, game 7.

Reactions: HarrySPlinkett

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
My biggest grip with society is that the people who cannot differentiate between hurt and injure get to vote, and/or influence the outcome of policy decisions.

I'm rarely surprised to be reminded of that fact, but I'm always a little disappointed that people are still so easy to fool.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
My biggest grip with society is that the people who cannot differentiate between hurt and injure get to vote, and/or influence the outcome of policy decisions.

I'm rarely surprised to be reminded of that fact, but I'm always a little disappointed that people are still so easy to fool.

This is your biggest gripe with society?

That’s a fairly specific issue.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
On any given body check, your ideal result is to hit a guy so hard that it takes him out for the rest of the game, and makes him hesitate the next time he sees you coming.

Dishing out pain (to an extent) is part of physical sports like hockey. Though no one should ever intend to injure anyone to a point where they can't play the next day IMO. That's some Tonya Harding stuff... lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad