Manchester United partial sale completed: Jim Ratcliffe acquires 27.7% share, 100% control of sporting side)

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Interesting... I will say I feel like United isn't as good an investment as it could've been. Anyone buying the team is going to have to dump probably close to a billion into the club to re do Carrington and Old Trafford. Even then if someone bought the club for 5bil lets say, it's going to be hard to get a good ROI on that.

Also I'm not entirely sure how it would work, but there's still ~500mil of debt saddled to the club. Definitely seems like the Glazers and FSG are getting out now that the ESL is dead in the water.
It's a vanity purchase for guys wealthy enough not to give a shit about ROI. Even then. ManU will always be a valuable dick-measuring asset for billionaires so the potential for loss isn't all that great. Barring a societal collapse and the EPL folding or whatever but then who gives a shit?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Technically neither is City, but honestly there's very little difference.
Saw this posted elsewhere:

I live in Dubai and it's actually been rumoured here for a while that Dubai/Owners of Emirates Airlines were interested in buying Manchester United. The crown prince of Dubai is a well known fan of United.

So maybe not oil money but airline money? :laugh:

mmk786

Mar 3, 2004
Saw this posted elsewhere:

So maybe not oil money but airline money? :laugh:
Dubai has no oil. They make their money by being the financial hub of the gulf states.
Had to be bailed out by Abu Dhabi during the last financial crisis.

Reactions: Jussi

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Dubai has no oil. They make their money by being the financial hub of the gulf states.
Had to be bailed out by Abu Dhabi during the last financial crisis.

The latter part may be true but they do have oil as well. Not nearly as much as Abu Dhabi, but also not "no oil"

nickp91

Jun 29, 2011
Looks like Dubai is a serious contender to be the new owners of Manchester United

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Oh bollocks, Glazers are looking at Meta and Amazon as potential buyers...

Mike Keegan (Daily Fail):

"Those with digital expertise, such as Facebook and Amazon, are seen as credible suitors. However, sovereign states are also likely to be interested. Dubai is yet to follow Abu Dhabi (Manchester City), Qatar (Paris Saint-Germain) and Saudi Arabia (Newcastle United) and is viewed as a serious contender. Ownership of PSG is unlikely to be an obstacle for Qatar, currently hosting the World Cup, according to sources in Doha."

mmk786

Mar 3, 2004
Yea that's fair, they're not a petro-state, they're a money laundering state for petro states.
Petro states dont need their money laundered.

The latter part may be true but they do have oil as well. Not nearly as much as Abu Dhabi, but also not "no oil"
Ok Mr. Absolutist.
Dubai has some oil but its economy is largely based on being a regional economic, business and trading hub.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Looks like Dubai is a serious contender to be the new owners of Manchester United
They wanted to bid for Liverpool years ago and got busted by FSG fabricating they had money that they didn't have so that would be awesome. Buy it with Monopoly money and send them broke.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Let’s leave the North American teams out for a minute, why is Man Utd worth more than twice Liverpool?
United is a bigger brand than Liverpool by a bit. Liverpool is the better organization at the moment, but for all Woodwards faults he made United a commercial juggernaut.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
United is a bigger brand than Liverpool by a bit. Liverpool is the better organization at the moment, but for all Woodwards faults he made United a commercial juggernaut.
Not by more than twice as much. Especially not considering the infrastructure upgrades that Utd needs

Not saying Forbes is the authority on the matter but it’s a six figure difference here

I just want to know by what metric the value is more than twice. Not even being anti-United; that figure makes zero sense to me

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Not by more than twice as much. Especially not considering the infrastructure upgrades that Utd needs

Not saying Forbes is the authority on the matter but it’s a six figure difference here

I just want to know by what metric the value is more than twice. Not even being anti-United; that figure makes zero sense to me
Is it twice as much? Raine valued United at what? 5.5/6? And Forbes has Liverpool at 4.5.

The article you posted has the difference between Liverpool and United at .11bil not twice the value.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad