LW Beckett Sennecke - Oshawa Generals, OHL (2024 Draft)

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
I like the player and have him around top 10-15. Could be persuaded to take him around 5-10 but by default, I think there are other more interesting players available there before Sennecke. Biggest drawback for him is his position and skating is not really that explosive, shot is not the most amazing either. I think he is more of a playmaker instead of shoot first guy. I am thinking of him more as potential playmaking power forward type but might be off due to limited viewings.

For some reason, I get Seth Jarvis development curve vibes from Sennecke. Similar strong draft year growth as player and production increase.

There is probably too strong of a recency bias on Sennecke due to hot end of season, I would be cautious. Will be interesting to see how he responds when things dont always go his way.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Now do it for anyone who ever had a single stretch of 22 points in 16 games at any point in their draft season. I have a feeling that the list will get a lot, lot longer.

I just mean that I’ve seen people “worried” about Cayden Lindstrom only being able to maintain his production for 32 games this year… but he maintained a PPG higher than Sennecke’s playoff production for twice as long. Plus, Sennecke’s been injured during the London series which definitely would have decreased his PPG had he played, similar to how Tij Iginla’s playoff PPG was insane until he ran into Prince George, who are the wagon of the WHL the way London is for the OHL.
First of all scoring in the regular season is less valuable than in the playoffs. His points per game isn't particularly impressive when we talk regular season, though he did have 18 points in 10 games to end the regular season, and had a few stretches where he had a few games where he was 2 PPG. But looking at 16 game stretches isn't really a thing in the regular season. Looking at a 16 game stretch in the playoffs is much more impressive because you have to actually get there, play that many games, and also play at a high level still.

Sennecke is 286th in points/season and 300th in ppg for a draft eligible. He also happens to be 78th for a 16yo in points/season and 74th in PPG.

Those aren't particularly bad numbers, but looking only at the numbers for Sennecke is somewhat disingenuous in the first place he isn't a pure skill top 6 forward or bust guy. He's 6'3, plays defense, and is physical. Can't really say the same about a lot of guys ahead of him.

Similarily Kasper Haltunnen just set records for most goals and points by an import player in the playoffs and tied Boqvist for 2nd overall and most by an import in power play goals. But he had a PPG similar to Sennecke's in the regular season, and still had close to that PPG in the playoffs.

Personally he's not on my radar in the top 5 or probably top 10, but only looking at stats doesn't really give you the full view either. If that was the case a lot more people should have had Cristall and Noah Dower-Nilsson a lot higher than they did!

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
First of all scoring in the regular season is less valuable than in the playoffs. His points per game isn't particularly impressive when we talk regular season, though he did have 18 points in 10 games to end the regular season, and had a few stretches where he had a few games where he was 2 PPG. But looking at 16 game stretches isn't really a thing in the regular season. Looking at a 16 game stretch in the playoffs is much more impressive because you have to actually get there, play that many games, and also play at a high level still.

Sennecke is 286th in points/season and 300th in ppg for a draft eligible. He also happens to be 78th for a 16yo in points/season and 74th in PPG.

Those aren't particularly bad numbers, but looking only at the numbers for Sennecke is somewhat disingenuous in the first place he isn't a pure skill top 6 forward or bust guy. He's 6'3, plays defense, and is physical. Can't really say the same about a lot of guys ahead of him.

Similarily Kasper Haltunnen just set records for most goals and points by an import player in the playoffs and tied Boqvist for 2nd overall and most by an import in power play goals. But he had a PPG similar to Sennecke's in the regular season, and still had close to that PPG in the playoffs.

Personally he's not on my radar in the top 5 or probably top 10, but only looking at stats doesn't really give you the full view either. If that was the case a lot more people should have had Cristall and Noah Dower-Nilsson a lot higher than they did!
I already mentioned that the scouting is a big piece and that I was only making a commentary on Sennecke’s numbers. Especially since we’re assuming he would have maintained his PPG against London if he weren’t injured; I think that’s a bad assumption, looking at how good London is.

If you want to bring Halttunen up, are we going to say that Halttunen is going to be an elite playoff performer in the NHL because he’s scored a bucketful of goals in the OHL playoffs? What I think is disingenuous is comparing CHL playoffs to NHL playoffs—we’ve seen dozens and dozens of supposed “playoff performers” in juniors flounder in the NHL playoffs because it’s not comparable at all. I mean, remember how “clutch” Jordan Eberle was going to be?

I do like Sennecke and would happily take him in the 10-15 range. I’m not trying to take anything away from the player.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
I already mentioned that the scouting is a big piece and that I was only making a commentary on Sennecke’s numbers. Especially since we’re assuming he would have maintained his PPG against London if he weren’t injured; I think that’s a bad assumption, looking at how good London is.

If you want to bring Halttunen up, are we going to say that Halttunen is going to be an elite playoff performer in the NHL because he’s scored a bucketful of goals in the OHL playoffs? What I think is disingenuous is comparing CHL playoffs to NHL playoffs—we’ve seen dozens and dozens of supposed “playoff performers” in juniors flounder in the NHL playoffs because it’s not comparable at all. I mean, remember how “clutch” Jordan Eberle was going to be?

I do like Sennecke and would happily take him in the 10-15 range. I’m not trying to take anything away from the player.
I'm honestly not sure how you managed to interpret all of what I said as this, because I didn't say any of it.

Playoff games are worth more than regular season games in any league.

I never called Halttunen any kind of playoff performer or clutch player. I said he broke records over a short period of time that we call the playoffs. You're the one who's bringing up whether he's going to be an elite playoff performer, not me. I didn't even mention the NHL at all in my post, lol. I brought Halttunen up because he had a 20 game stretch where he was very good, and you should take that into account, just the same as you should with any other player who has a good playoffs.

Literally all I did was post stats. You can interpret those stats however you want, just leave me out of it. You asked for information, I provided.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I'm honestly not sure how you managed to interpret all of what I said as this, because I didn't say any of it.

Playoff games are worth more than regular season games in any league.

I never called Halttunen any kind of playoff performer or clutch player. I said he broke records over a short period of time that we call the playoffs. You're the one who's bringing up whether he's going to be an elite playoff performer, not me. I didn't even mention the NHL at all in my post, lol. I brought Halttunen up because he had a 20 game stretch where he was very good, and you should take that into account, just the same as you should with any other player who has a good playoffs.

Literally all I did was post stats. You can interpret those stats however you want, just leave me out of it. You asked for information, I provided.
Okay, then clarify this statement for me.

If you’re not suggesting that CHL playoff production is predictive of future NHL playoff scoring, are you just suggesting that CHL playoff production is more predictive of general NHL-goodness than CHL regular season production?

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017

If you’re not suggesting that CHL playoff production is predictive of future NHL playoff scoring, are you just suggesting that CHL playoff production is more predictive of general NHL-goodness than CHL regular season production?
I'm not saying anything about the NHL.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Now do it for anyone who ever had a single stretch of 22 points in 16 games at any point in their draft season. I have a feeling that the list will get a lot, lot longer.

I just mean that I’ve seen people “worried” about Cayden Lindstrom only being able to maintain his production for 32 games this year… but he maintained a PPG higher than Sennecke’s playoff production for twice as long. Plus, Sennecke’s been injured during the London series which definitely would have decreased his PPG had he played, similar to how Tij Iginla’s playoff PPG was insane until he ran into Prince George, who are the wagon of the WHL the way London is for the OHL.

All I’m saying is that maybe we should pump the breaks just a smidge on this guy. Top-15 pick, absolutely. But I’m starting to see top-5 noise around here which seems crazy to me. When all’s said and done, I just don’t see any way Sennecke breaks into the top-10.
He had 22 points in 14, got injured in game 4, missed game 5, and came back and played very limited in game 6 before missing the rest of the playoffs, in which Oshawa looked incredibly lost without him. The only game other than the games he left injured he never put up a point he was kicked out of in the 2nd period for checking to the head.

He took off the 2nd half of the season, he had 64 points since January 7th in 44 games not counting the 2 where he was very clearly injured at the end of playoffs.

Mark Sheifele had the same kind of rise, not because of the points he put up, as he had the same kind of season statistically as Sennecke, but because of the progression he had shown to go along with a recent growth spurt and putting everything together that make an extremely intriguing and valuable makeup of a prospect for NHL teams.

Like Sennecke, Scheifele was being questioned about why he was being viewed by the scouting community as a guy who could go top 5 above guys like Couturier when he was rated as a guy in the 30’s and 20’s until the end of the season where we started to hear he was going to go higher than expected.

Last edited:

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
Noise from who? If Lindstrom and Demidov are gone, they’ll go with one of the highly rated D. They may go with one even if the two forwards aren’t gone.

Nope. I truly believe for the Habs it's Demidov, Sennecke and then Iginla on their list. Me? I think the Habs still need a C.

Right, that’s obviously where the scouting comes in. I’m just saying purely on the production side, it’s really not all that impressive.

That's the thing. If you look at Slafs' numbers this season it's not impressive for a 1st overall in his sophomore year. However if you look at how his point totals were trending that's when you get it.

Biggest drawback for him is his position and skating is not really that explosive, shot is not the most amazing either. I think he is more of a playmaker instead of shoot first guy. I am thinking of him more as potential playmaking power forward type but might be off due to limited viewings.

There is probably too strong of a recency bias on Sennecke due to hot end of season, I would be cautious.

Of course his skating won't be very fluid, he literally grew 6 inches in the past year. And of course recency bias could be pointed at for any late season riser. I think what the scouts are seeing is a young guy finally putting it all together.

No, what is being suggested is that for a teenager, trend is more important than global numbers. There may be a huge difference between a 5'9" 17yr old and a 6'3" 18yr old even though he's the same kid.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I don't know how much he grew - maybe only 4 inches from 5'10 to 6'2? But he looks possibly taller than that to me in these playoff videos, if you told me that he's 6'3 or maybe even pushing 6'4 I'd believe you.

Leto

Feb 16, 2023
I don't know how much he grew - maybe only 4 inches from 5'10 to 6'2? But he looks possibly taller than that to me in these playoff videos, if you told me that he's 6'3 or maybe even pushing 6'4 I'd believe you.

In a recent interview with his mother, it was mentioned that Beckett is now 6'3. His father is also 6'3.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Since the turn of the New Year his game has been progressing on a sharp curve. That isn’t a cause to be concerned.
Doesn’t he play on a line with Ritchie? Gaining back arguably the best player in the OHL on his line is going to help a lot, but it brings up a question of how much Ritchie is carrying him.

Reactions: slumpy43

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
It could be so, but it’s a bad look when his increase in production coincides with the team’s star player returning from injury to play on his line.
Sennecke regularly played with Ritchie near the end of the season and the playoffs. He produced before it happened and even when he was on a line with Ritchie he was producing the same or more when he was on the ice with other guys.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
The most recent case of a team moving in the 1st round of the draft is Arizona in 2022. The price was one late 1st round pick + two 2nd round picks. So the price should in that ball park. Montreal has Colorado's 2024 2nd round pick, but not their own.

View attachment 869458
It's still too early to tell but that trade isn't looking all that great for Utah.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Jordan Eberle has scored 299 NHL goals, for an 22nd overall pick he hasn't really underperformed has he?

Agree with the rest of your post though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad