London Knights 2023-2024 Season Thread (Part 7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

crowncarrier

My father hung me on a hook once....once.
Apr 10, 2015
I still believe Cowan is here at some point next season. Still a lot of maturity missing at times
The only thing I see where he might have a chance is if Bertuzzi does not get signed. His last contract is/was 5 mil. Cowan is a good fit and would come at a great price for that role. I too think he needs more time but you never know.

Last edited:

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
How did he manipulate the draft to get those players?

Cowan - Rd 2
George - Rd 6
Bonk - Rd 2
all three told teams they were not coming to the ohl. george was a 1st round pick all day. bonk and cowen too but at least cowan was closer to his value at 24 or 25 or whatever he went.

Reactions: zman77

crowncarrier

Apr 10, 2015
all three told teams they were not coming to the ohl. george was a 1st round pick all day. bonk and cowen too but at least cowan was closer to his value at 24 or 25 or whatever he went.
I never heard that. Do you have a source?

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
George was a very good player in MM. No source to sight but my eye test was 1st rd potential. Now did Hinter tell him/agent/advisor to say that or was it more let's take a chance, sell him on the org. Or just call his bluff? That's what we don't know.
Rumors around rinks was US as well.

Not sure on the other 2 pre draft rankings but 2nd rd is not as big a "steal" as 4th. They went early 2nd as well I believe.so didn't drop much unless both were sure top 10 picks.

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
I’m excited to see what Van Gorp and Nicholl can do. Both smart players. Played their role well, but both skilled enough to be top 6ers next year

Reactions: zman77 and Fastpace

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
talk to the moderator if you don’t trust me, he’s a London guy, he thinks I have the knowledge. I didn’t scout during Covid but I know lots of alliance guys who interviewed Cowan and he told them all he was going to school .same with bonk. George was easy a 1st round pick but his agent called everyone the day before the draft and said he’s going to school

• Wow
Reactions: frontsfan67 and LDN

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
talk to the moderator if you don’t trust me, he’s a London guy, he thinks I have the knowledge. I didn’t scout during Covid but I know lots of alliance guys who interviewed Cowan and he told them all he was going to school .same with bonk. George was easy a 1st round pick but his agent called everyone the day before the draft and said he’s going to school
Well thankfully they are here now and London Knights. We should be thankful for that.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Seriously though if that is all it takes to manipulate the draft what the heck is every other GM in the league doing? If it's that simple how possibly is not every team doing it or are they but Mark just picks the right guys to "coach"?

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Seriously though if that is all it takes to manipulate the draft what the heck is every other GM in the league doing? If it's that simple how possibly is not every team doing it or are they but Mark just picks the right guys to "coach"?
dont misconstrue what im saying. Im not saying mark or the knights are in the wrong, im saying those were not great picks that worked out, they were guys that were recruited and fell due to sign ability. very different things.

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
You aint wrong.
For those who say Mark manipulated anything I think we need more info. I posted above what may or may not have happened. "Now did Hunter tell him/agent/advisor to say that or was it more let's take a chance, sell him on the org. Or just call his bluff? That's what we don't know."
Either way it's not Mark speaking for agents/advisors/parents. They are the ones hopefully looking after the clients best interests.........and if they feel that's exercising options to land where they want, it's allowed under the system. I'm all for empowering the players in the decision making process esp. as 15/16 yr olds.
Build it and they will come :)
We would never consider a draft for University admissions to a program where kids hope to develop knowledge, training experience to pursue their dreams but some figure it's ok to do that to a 15 yr old cause they are a fan of a team?

dont misconstrue what im saying. Im not saying mark or the knights are in the wrong, im saying those were not great picks that worked out, they were guys that were recruited and fell due to sign ability. very different things.
Agreed. But I'll add signability is solely in the hands of the player/family/agents/advisors and not team executives.
Sure it's an advantage, totally agree. But one they fostered and built.
Appreciate the insights n posts.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
You aint wrong.
For those who say Mark manipulated anything I think we need more info. I posted above what may or may not have happened. "Now did Hunter tell him/agent/advisor to say that or was it more let's take a chance, sell him on the org. Or just call his bluff? That's what we don't know."
Either way it's not Mark speaking for agents/advisors/parents. They are the ones hopefully looking after the clients best interests.........and if they feel that's exercising options to land where they want, it's allowed under the system. I'm all for empowering the players in the decision making process esp. as 15/16 yr olds.
Build it and they will come :)
We would never consider a draft for University admissions to a program where kids hope to develop knowledge, training experience to pursue their dreams but some figure it's ok to do that to a 15 yr old cause they are a fan of a team?

Agreed. But I'll add signability is solely in the hands of the player/family/agents/advisors and not team executives.
Sure it's an advantage, totally agree. But one they fostered and built.
Appreciate the insights n posts.
for sure. sometimes I see ‘wow, what a great pick by London, how could everyone be so dumb’, well no, everyone knew how good he was, they just don’t recruit as well. drafting vs recruiting. mark is the best recruiter and trader in the business

crowncarrier

Apr 10, 2015
It wasn't that I didn't believe you at all. I just never heard it. I know it happens all the time. Players say they are opting for the ncaa route and that's where the GMs come in and try to lure the players to their program. Fortunately London has a fantastic track record of producing future NHLers and a winning OHL team.

Reactions: zman77 and nelli27

OhSheilaa

Sep 18, 2022
Massive Congratulations to the Knights. An incredible season followed by one of, if not the most dominant playoff and league championship series of all time.

I know the 2005 edition of the Knights was named the greatest OHL team of all time, but this year's team has got to be way up there too.

This series also showed the wrong coach was awarded OHL Coach of The Year. Dale completely school Laxdal in this series.

Congratulations again and bring back the Memorial Cup to the OHL.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Yes, you're the real deal! Thanks for sharing your info.

Reactions: rve24

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
The only thing I see where he might have a chance is if Bertuzzi does not get signed. His last contract is/was 5 mil. Cowan is a good fit and would come at a great price for that role. I too think he needs more time but you never know.
One thing to consider is whether or not the Leafs look to sign a bottom six player or two to address lack of grit. It’s possible.

Also, what is Treliving’s history regarding playing underage players? Did he automatically send junior aged players back to junior or has he used 18 or 19 year olds in Calgary? Something worth looking up.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
There is another mini little series with a huge prize at the end, to be played yet, Go Knights Go !

Knights2729

Oct 24, 2016
London
Barkey-O’Reilly-Gazizov (Imp/OA)
Sim(OA)-Nicholl-Van Gorp
Van Bommel-Johnston-Boulton
Gerber-Hawrey-Arrowsmith
Bidgood

Bonk - Woolley
Jenkin-Brzustewicz
Fagen II - Mitchell

Willmore (OA)
Gatto
Medvedev

If Gatto can take over the next Willmore gets moved and Leonard stays, but otherwise Leonard gets moved. If Ustinkov comes we won’t add an import. If he doesn’t we will. If Dickinson, Cowan and Halttunnen come back OH BABY
Leonard will be back, Gazizov wont

Reactions: LDN

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
It wasn't that I didn't believe you at all. I just never heard it. I know it happens all the time. Players say they are opting for the ncaa route and that's where the GMs come in and try to lure the players to their program. Fortunately London has a fantastic track record of producing future NHLers and a winning OHL team.
Which is why you’ll be competitive until the hunters leave

Reactions: LDN
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad