Leon Draisaitl is one of the best playoff performers in NHL history

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Thank you - however - You have to consider the timing as well.

The '16-17 Ducks were a 105 point team and finished 6th in the league.

The '21-22 Flames were a 111 point team and finished 6th in the league as well.

Chicago was ass at the time...but they beat us.

LA gets dunked on unfairly, IMO. They have been a very good regular season team and one of the stingiest clubs in the NHL.

A *drop off* vs the good teams still sees him at a 105 point pace over 82 games.

Which is still absolutely phenomenal, this year however he's maintaining that Gretzky like production against high end teams, which you can't ignore.

I see it as this. In the past it was Gretzky like offence vs weaker teams, legitimate superstar level production vs good/elite teams. Still a drop off but very respectable.

This year though he's been maintaining that extremely high Gretzky esque production.

If he maintains this over the course of the series and maybe even into the WCF and beyond, there's no argument you can make against him to be outside the top 5, probably top 3 solidified if he can help the Oilers go on a deep run.

Who is in your top 5? Because based on production, there's one player who isn't even close to being deserving of being placed anywhere near it.
I think there's 4 guys that are universally in everyone's top 5 right now. McDavid, Kucherov, Mackinnon, Makar, at this point in time.

Then there's the argument to be made for Matthews vs Draisaitl.

Like neither one would be the wrong choice in my opinion. I go Matthews because #1 I'm a leafs fans, #2 his insane goal scoring. But like I said, I wouldn't argue against anyone that picks Draisaitl here, or honestly maybe even Quinn Hughes. The 5-10 range has tons of great options.

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
too bad Oilers have zero depth and their goalies are crap in playoffs most of the time because McDavid and Draisaitl rack up insane pts/game in the playoffs.

They both avg about 1.80 pts/game in playoffs.

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
Which is still absolutely phenomenal, this year however he's maintaining that Gretzky like production against high end teams, which you can't ignore.

I see it as this. In the past it was Gretzky like offence vs weaker teams, legitimate superstar level production vs good/elite teams. Still a drop off but very respectable.

This year though he's been maintaining that extremely high Gretzky esque production.

If he maintains this over the course of the series and maybe even into the WCF and beyond, there's no argument you can make against him to be outside the top 5, probably top 3 solidified if he can help the Oilers go on a deep run.

I think there's 4 guys that are universally in everyone's top 5 right now. McDavid, Kucherov, Mackinnon, Makar, at this point in time.

Then there's the argument to be made for Matthews vs Draisaitl.

Like neither one would be the wrong choice in my opinion. I go Matthews because #1 I'm a leafs fans, #2 his insane goal scoring. But like I said, I wouldn't argue against anyone that picks Draisaitl here, or honestly maybe even Quinn Hughes. The 5-10 range has tons of great options.
Matthews isn't in the top 50 come playoffs.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Draisaitl is just a cherry picker who stat padded for the last 3 seasons against LA who has happens to be the worst play off team. A real big shot stacking up the stats against Talbot. What a joke. Not fooling anyone.
The Oilers would be soo much better if he just pulled the AM/MM dissapearing special in the playoffs.

Reactions: stampedingviking

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Hopefully his story is far from written. He seems to be having a hard time staying healthy through multiple rounds and "the best playoff performers" list is typically full of players that have done it in rounds 3 & 4. Time will tell.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Don’t worry, McDavid and Drasaitl got that covered. Can not play Talbot and the Kings all the time. Lmfao

The Oilers don’t even make the playoffs in the Atlantic.
It amazes me that the Leafs fans can think that
  • less scoring but focus on defence from superstars is the key to success
  • Leafs lost to the Bruins because their star players didn't score enough
At the end of the day, Draisaitl has 11 points in 5 games against the Nucks, AM and MM combined for 7 in 5+7 games against Boston.

But I'll give you this: AM and MM sell much more Jersey, good for them ;)

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
How can this be? Pointing out he doesn't know where his end of the ice is and no matter how many he scores if he is letting in more against gets you laugh reactions and called names.
Because thats not true and a single bad game doesn't change that?

Reactions: nturn06

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Draisaitl is on the verge of becoming the 3rd fastest player in NHL history to reach 100 playoff points:
  1. 46 - Wayne Gretzky
  2. 50 - Mario Lemieux
  3. 67 - Jari Kurri
  4. 74 - Mike Bossy
  5. 75 - Sidney Crosby
  6. 77 - Nathan MacKinnon
  7. 78 - Denis Savard
  8. 80 - Glen Anderson
  9. 80 - Mikko Rantanen
  10. 81 - Mark Messier
Draisaitl is up to 98 points in 59 games.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Matthews isn't in the top 50 come playoffs.
He definitely could be better, sucks he's been hurt in like 3 playoff series but also played against some very strong goaltenders.

Holtby, Rask, Rask, Price, Vasi, Vasi, Bobrovsky, Swayman. That's 7 playoff series vs Vezina winners at their best, Swayman although not a Vezina winner definitely played at that level.

Columbus was the only series against a non-elite goalie, context matters but yeah he needs to be better than the opposing goalie at some point.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
He definitely could be better, sucks he's been hurt in like 3 playoff series but also played against some very strong goaltenders.

Holtby, Rask, Rask, Price, Vasi, Vasi, Bobrovsky, Swayman. That's 7 playoff series vs Vezina winners at their best, Swayman although not a Vezina winner definitely played at that level.

Columbus was the only series against a non-elite goalie, context matters but yeah he needs to be better than the opposing goalie at some point.
I didn't know Draisaitl did all that....

Or do the Leafs fans think that any thread talking about playoffs success should become about AM?

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I didn't know Draisaitl did all that....

Or do the Leafs fans think that any thread talking about playoffs success should become about AM?
I didn't bring Matthews up, someone randomly decided to bring him up to me. I just simply replied to him, so maybe go talk to him about it ?

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
McDavid hasn't even been a top 3 Oiler these playoffs. He's been a Draisaitl merchant.

That's silly

Lets take a peak at Draisaitl's numbers this playoffs With/Without #97 at five on five (58 minutes with / 100 without)

CF - 71.30% / 37.77%
SF - 76% / 35.65%
GF% - 62.50% / 44.44%
xGF% - 72.15% / 35.94%
SCF% - 70.91% / 42.86%
HDCF% - 65.63% / 44.90%

McDavid's number's don't completely crater away from Draisaitl.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
This smells like a jinx thread....

He and McDavid seem like they still haven't learned the lessons from playoff ghosts of the past...Chicago, Winnipeg, Colorado, Vegas, and now Vancouver. Bad play in their own zone always costing them at the worst times.

His points are great but his ES defence has been less than impressive. On the ice for all three Vancouver goals last night. Not a good look. I'd rather he sacrifice some of those points to put more effort in his own zone. Perhaps with a new team he will finally learn those lessons.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Post in thread 'Around the League Thread | Hockey is Back!'
Around the League Thread | Hockey is Back!

Post in thread 'Connor Mcdavid trade give your teams best offer...'
Value of: - Connor Mcdavid trade give your teams best offer...

Post in thread 'Elias Pettersson with his 6th career 5 point night'
Elias Pettersson with his 6th career 5 point night

Post in thread 'EP40 for Drai. Who says no!?'
Proposal: - EP40 for Drai. Who says no!?

Post in thread 'Elias Pettersson with his 6th career 5 point night'
Elias Pettersson with his 6th career 5 point night
He was better than him that season.

Last edited:

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
He’s obviously great offensively I just don’t understand how he doesn’t have a single series where he clearly won his minutes at ES.

Reactions: swiftwin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad