LD Denton Mateychuk - Moose Jaw Warriors, WHL (2022, 12th, CBJ)

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
buuuuump.

he’s now surpassed his point total pace from last season. 26 points in 23 games. to put how superb that point total is in perspective, moose jaw’s 3rd highest scoring defenseman has 16 less points in 1 more game than denton.

underrated. clap clap, clap clap clap

Reactions: Dominance

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Been waiting for a game like that from him. Hes been fine but not exactly where I thought hed be in the couple games Ive watched. Still very excited for his future though.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Been waiting for a game like that from him. Hes been fine but not exactly where I thought hed be in the couple games Ive watched. Still very excited for his future though.
Overall has his all around game taken any strides? I know there were questions about his defensive abilities at the draft, and seeing as how his offensive game hasn't exactly exploded, I'm hoping hes done better in his own end.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
CBJ wanted exceptions for Mateychuk and Dumais from the CHL, meaning they think they’re too good for the CHL. Dumais has a case, Mateychuk doesn’t

Mateychuk isn't too good for the CHL, but for what it's worth he looked like he just took a big step and was one of the Jackets best D in camp. If they didn't have such a glut, he'd make the NHL this year. Mateychuk was much more ready than Dumais.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Mateychuk isn't too good for the CHL, but for what it's worth he looked like he just took a big step and was one of the Jackets best D in camp. If they didn't have such a glut, he'd make the NHL this year. Mateychuk was much more ready than Dumais.
Really? that’s actually really cool to hear.

I was basing it based off of the lack of accolades for Mateychuk then the abundance thay Dumais had.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Really? that’s actually really cool to hear.

I was basing it based off of the lack of accolades for Mateychuk then the abundance thay Dumais had.

They both had a great prospect tournament, but Dumais understandably fell off vs pros in pre-season. He had one 3v3 GWG in a game where he struggled at 5v5. Mateychuk was great throughout.

Last year at this time he went from a great showing in the prospect tournament to struggling in the pre-season. He looks much stronger and quicker than last year.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Hoping to see him double goal totals from last year and record at least close to 200 SOG, as improving his shot and stickhandling has been the main focus in the offseason. Stop being a pure set-up guy for Yager and Firkus on PP!

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
20gp 6-24-30, point(s) in every game since coming back from CBJ's camp. Slowly climbing up to the top of WHL defensemen scoring (#3 currently behind Sward and Cagnoni).

Hoping to see him double goal totals from last year and record at least close to 200 SOG, as improving his shot and stickhandling has been the main focus in the offseason.
6 goals and 53 SOG so far. In my eyes the shot and stickhandling has improved and is more willing to shoot but needs to continue working on them. Should be a lock for Team Canada at the upcoming WJC but they will probably have some better shooting and puckhandling D to QB their PP1 so I don't expect him to get the best possible chance to practice those skills there.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Where are all you Columbus fans to pump his tires? He just got a hat trick tonight and he was just so dynamic. You guys should be happy as hell.
Did you watch the game? Glad to hear he's been dynamic, based on highlights it seemed an eventful night for him.

Scored a hat trick but also had front seat views on Tigers' 2nd, 3rd and 5th goal. I'd like to see the whole play leading to 3rd and the game tying goal (at 59:46, just 8 seconds after Warriors' go-ahead goal!!).

Hoping to see him double goal totals from last year and record at least close to 200 SOG, as improving his shot and stickhandling has been the main focus in the offseason. Stop being a pure set-up guy for Yager and Firkus on PP!
SOG in their last 6 games:

Mateychuk - 31
Calvert - 29
Firkus - 27
Savoie - 23
Yager - 14

I'm liking this trend.

Reactions: Dominance

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'd like to see the whole play leading to 3rd and the game tying goal (at 59:46, just 8 seconds after Warriors' go-ahead goal!!).

You'd think there would be some hockey fans that would want to see more of the goal than just the shot? Like how was the advantage created? All of the clips are like that.

Reactions: tunnelvision

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Did you watch the game? Glad to hear he's been dynamic, based on highlights it seemed an eventful night for him.

Yeah, it was a great game. Back and forth and suddenly the Tigers tie it with almost nothing left on the clock.

Mateychuk is such a rover. He was behind the net, and suddenly he's in front.

Reactions: Chainshot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad