La Liga 2023-24

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin

Damn...
HFboards experts and time travelers will say it was a bad signing by Barcelona. Or that maybe he was overhyped to begin with.

Just seeing this (the injury). Definitely not overhyped as he wasn't that hyped to begin with, but the injuries are a concern.

It was stupid back then that Pedri was played in both the Euro and Olympics.

Exactly, though the player is himself somewhat responsible for that.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I was joking.

I assumed. I was going to say something about his not being French and therefore it didn't matter. Anyway, IMO it's still a concern because while it's not a long spell out he's always missing something like a month every season.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Speaking of injuries

Bellingham again coming up big in the attacking department. It's hard to blieve he isn't actually a forward, as his impact has been of a your prototypical top finisher goalscorer.

With that Vinicius injury, they should just pony up the money to buy Mbappe and be over with it.

With so many youngsters hyped as the next World Class player, it's good to see likes of Bellingham and Haaland actually living up to that tag. Also they've set a good example for others to follow. Go up a level from one league to another every year or two, instead of directly transferring to an absolute top club in your mid-teens offering the best money at that time.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Bellingham again coming up big in the attacking department. It's hard to blieve he isn't actually a forward, as his impact has been of a your prototypical top finisher goalscorer.

With that Vinicius injury, they should just pony up the money to buy Mbappe and be over with it.

With so many youngsters hyped as the next World Class player, it's good to see likes of Bellingham and Haaland actually living up to that tag. Also they've set a good example for others to follow. Go up a level from one league to another every year or two, instead of directly transferring to an absolute top club in your mid-teens offering the best money at that time.

Bellingham scored on a corner after the actual striker headed it to him. He’s scored two from corners and misfit another.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Bellingham scored on a corner after the actual striker headed it to him. He’s scored two from corners and misfit another.

I don't know what you expect from him, but it's impressive from an attacking midfielder to score "fox in the box" type of goals that usually only the best poachers can score. And those poachers have practiced that type of movement and anticipation all their career.

Who knows if it will last, but his scoring start in La Liga has been impressive.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
His numbers are impressive, but the context of the goals tells a different story than the narrative you’re saying.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I mean it obviously isn’t going to last lo. I haven’t seen any of the goals but common sense tells you he’s not going to average over a goal a game. It doesn’t change his special talent though. Clearly worth the hype, unlike golazo asensio

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
His numbers are impressive, but the context of the goals tells a different story than the narrative you’re saying.

I don't know what narrative you think I'm saying.

I'm not claiming that he is doing it all by himself dribbling through guys from midfield like Messi or the Real Ronaldo, just that his knack for goals is very impressive (it already was in BL, but his start in LaLiga has been even more red hot any out and out striker would be proud of) and he has been a great team player for Real fitting like glove for the system Ancelotti has chosen to use.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I don't know what narrative you think I'm saying.

I'm not claiming that he is doing it all by himself dribbling through guys from midfield like Messi or the Real Ronaldo, just that his knack for goals is very impressive (it already was in BL, but his start in LaLiga has been even more red hot any out and out striker would be proud of) and he has been a great team player for Real fitting like glove for the system Ancelotti has chosen to use.

I know what you’re saying because you said it. You’re comparing him to a forward and a prototypical top finisher goalscorer. Your words. That was your narrative which is missing a LOT of context considering the goals he’s scored.

-Set piece goal today from a corner
-Ball generously falls to him against Almeria from just in front of the goal after hitting his shoulder, falling to an Almeria player who puts it in his path
-A header after a run in the box against Almeria
-A shot he mis-hit against Bilbao

You’re correct to a degree, but I‘m guessing you don’t know why and half of his goals were really fortunate.

Bellingham being used as he is will work to some degree thanks to his physical stature alone. However, big difference to that and a forward or prototypical top finisher goal scorer.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
I know what you’re saying because you said it. You’re comparing him to a forward and a prototypical top finisher goalscorer. Your words. That was your narrative which is missing a LOT of context considering the goals he’s scored.

So, based on your last post, we mostly agree.

Yes, you're correct, I'm comparing him to a scoring forward. His stats have been good so far. But like I (and others) raised doubts it probably won't last, but can't deny the results and success so far.

Looking from outside, it would seem sensible for Real to get another player, more traditional striker for that spot, but I'm not ruling out that Ancelotti knows his team & players better and has come up with a system that works and Bellingham ends up as a top scorer this season.

A top scorer has to score all types of goals, and I don't think Bellingham necessarily lacks in any apartment to do so.

We will see what happens.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
So, based on your last post, we mostly agree.

Yes, you're correct, I'm comparing him to a scoring forward. His stats have been good so far. But like I (and others) raised doubts it probably won't last, but can't deny the results and success so far.

Looking from outside, it would seem sensible for Real to get another player, more traditional striker for that spot, but I'm not ruling out that Ancelotti knows his team & players better and has come up with a system that works and Bellingham ends up as a top scorer this season.

A top scorer has to score all types of goals, and I don't think Bellingham necessarily lacks in any apartment to do so.

We will see what happens.

No, we don’t agree. I think there are some points that support what you’re saying, but you haven’t made them. Either way, he’s not scoring the goals that support that and the best example of that was today and it was from a corner, set up by the actual striker and not from open play.

I think it’s a smart strategy for Ancelotti to continue, but they should still have a 9. Still, only one goal out of the four really supports it working as intended if you ask me.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
No, we don’t agree. I think there are some points that support what you’re saying, but you haven’t made them. Either way, he’s not scoring the goals that support that and the best example of that was today and it was from a corner, set up by the actual striker and not from open play.

I think it’s a smart strategy for Ancelotti to continue, but they should still have a 9. Still, only one goal out of the four really supports it working as intended if you ask me.

Well, for me, all his goals for Real this season are pretty much run of the mill type of goals Lewandowski scored all his career for Bayern. (Note: not the prettiest or most memorable ones Lewa scored in Germany).

Or type of goals Shearer built his career on.

Who cares if he scores types of goals like Lineker, Shearer, Inzaghi or Lampard. It has worked for Real and Bellingham so far.

I wouldn't be worried about his goalscoring as Real, the issue is more of a combination play in/around the box, to get likes of Vinicius more involved and work better in combination with Bellingham. Although you could always question whether it would be more appropriate to ask Vini to adjust his style than vice versa.

I don't necessarily think they need a focal point no.9, much like Guardiola's City didn't really need one (although obviously if you can get one of the quality of Haaland, it is worth changing the system for). Gundogan scored a good enough bunch for them.

But again, it depends whether players are team players or more selfish ones. Sometimes it works, other times some players are unwilling to sacrifice their own role for the benefit of the team (see Zlatan/Messi, Neymar unhappy being in shadow at Barca etc.).

Some great combos from the past are Beardsley & Shearer and Bebeto & Romario, one being the creative type and the other being the finisher.

Obviously Real should have a plan B (and they sort of have it with Joselu), but so far it seems it could work with Bellingham being the main scoring threat too. Of course the season is very young.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Well, for me, all his goals for Real this season are pretty much run of the mill type of goals Lewandowski scored all his career for Bayern. (Note: not the prettiest or most memorable ones Lewa scored in Germany).

Or type of goals Shearer built his career on.

Who cares if he scores types of goals like Lineker, Shearer, Inzaghi or Lampard. It has worked for Real and Bellingham so far.

I wouldn't be worried about his goalscoring as Real, the issue is more of a combination play in/around the box, to get likes of Vinicius more involved and work better in combination with Bellingham. Although you could always question whether it would be more appropriate to ask Vini to adjust his style than vice versa.

I don't necessarily think they need a focal point no.9, much like Guardiola's City didn't really need one (although obviously if you can get one of the quality of Haaland, it is worth changing the system for). Gundogan scored a good enough bunch for them.

But again, it depends whether players are team players or more selfish ones. Sometimes it works, other times some players are unwilling to sacrifice their own role for the benefit of the team (see Zlatan/Messi, Neymar unhappy being in shadow at Barca etc.).

Some great combos from the past are Beardsley & Shearer and Bebeto & Romario, one being the creative type and the other being the finisher.

Obviously Real should have a plan B (and they sort of have it with Joselu), but so far it seems it could work with Bellingham being the main scoring threat too. Of course the season is very young.

Respectfully, I think the comparisons, especially based on a grand total of the four goals he’s scored and what each was, are a bit much.

Madrid dont’ need a focal 9, but what do you think they’ll win without one? Ancelotti clearly has a plan and it has it’s merits and I think it’d be even more effective with a 9 in the side, but I don’t think that means it’ll ”work” as it now nor do I think it’s entirely comparable to other sides who’ve played with a true 9.

Anyway, while I think Bellingham has show some behaviors you’re referrring to, I wouldn’t call simply being the box or scoring some jammy goals means he’s that sort of 9 just yet.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Respectfully, I think the comparisons, especially based on a grand total of the four goals he’s scored and what each was, are a bit much.

Of course they are, as it is a very small sample size.

It can work or it can fail, as I and others have said that we will see how it unfolds as the season progresses.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad