OT: Kraken OT Lounge: No Calamari allowed

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Hopefully out there in NE, you have less smoke than we down in the SW of WA.

I picked about 6 lbs of blackberries today. I’ll turn 4 lbs into wine and the rest into, dried cakes, jam and syrup.

Last edited:
Reactions: LokiDog

Boris Le Tigre

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jan 9, 2007
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Salut fans of le Kraken de Seattle!

I visited West Seattle and parked on the roof of the SafeWay. Was very nice.

I drove a couple hours to see Mt Rainier at the National Park for a nice look at the beast but it was foggy. Plus a lot of the roads in the park were closed and I couldn't see it too well. Next day was beautiful and I could see the summit perfectly right outside my window. Whadda ya know?

Saucerhead Tharpe

Jul 18, 2021
TunFaire
It was part of military survival (SERE) training. Suck the rabbit's eyeball out of its skull. It's supposed to be a good source of hydration in a survival situation where you're not supposed to waste any part of the animals.
I went through SERE school a looong time ago. I can attest that not once was sucking on a rabbit's eyeball part of the curriculum I was subjected to. Not even as a passing mention.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I went through SERE school a looong time ago. I can attest that not once was sucking on a rabbit's eyeball part of the curriculum I was subjected to. Not even as a passing mention.

SERE school to become an AF SERE instructor? Or SERE school for SV-80/SERE-C in relation to another AFSC or job? We do a lot of stuff on the way to earning our instructor arches that aren’t part of the actual curriculum. And it was only about 8 years ago for me as well.

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
It was in relation to a job. All persons in my rate hade to go.

Yeah, there’s significant cross over between the school other MOS/AFSC, etc. go through and what we go through, but the course to become one of the SERE instructors is about a full year (6 months plus indoc and then pre-course while waiting for a Jan/June start date) and then you’re job is just taking other jobs out and teaching the course to them.

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Even out here on the Idaho border the smoke is pretty crazy. The other day it was so dense it looked like fog all day and smelt like a campfire wherever you went.

Naster Okan

Jan 8, 2019
Hey all, from Illinois and Blackhawks fan but I have been following The Kraken’s inception from the get go. Excited to see how this team evolves over the next couple of seasons. I’d love to be a part of discussions regarding the franchise. Cheers!

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
Is JP patches still alive or Cal Worthibgton haven’t been down to the Emerald city in a while

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I ate just the cheese off the top of 7 slices of costco pizza for lunch today. Not a good idea. I should be imprisoned for that choice.

It was free, I did NOT buy 7 slices of costco pizza (that would be 3.5 servings)

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Anyone in here into craft beer, breweries or brewing their own?
<--- (all three)

Puget Sound down to central OR is a mecca for that scene after all.
I love visiting breweries to eat and try a few beers, and have been brewing five gallon batches in my garage for 6-7 years.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Anyone in here into craft beer, breweries or brewing their own?
<--- (all three)

Puget Sound down to central OR is a mecca for that scene after all.
I love visiting breweries to eat and try a few beers, and have been brewing five gallon batches in my garage for 6-7 years.

Into craft beer and breweries, but I don't brew my own beer, but I am a craft wine maker. I make wines using exclusively foraged ingredients (except the yeast and in some cases sugar).

Reactions: sigma six

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
That's cool, both are A+ hobbies. That's pretty interesting that you hunt for your own ingredients! While I can't quite do that I am able to source without going out of the region depending on the style I want to brew...tons of hops are grown in Yakima, can use Mecca Grade grain from central OR and Imperial Yeast is in PDX, and a top-notch lab. We have it good.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Where I live gets on average much more rain than up there (we average 84 inches per year in Washougal, compared to Bellingham’s 34) , but there are no low lying areas in the gorge, except the river, and the low areas of Washougal (I live up high), which are protected by Dikes, so the pain all goes further down river to Sauvie Island, OR and Vancouver. I have a creek on my property, and it is probably 20 feet below my house. Never got close in the worst rains. Heck, everything is so steep that it never got too much bigger than normal as it runs very rapidly

Last edited:

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
My mother-in-law and her husband are RV-living near Concrete, first year they've been there.
Last week my wife informed me that they were basically stuck in place and using a rowboat due to the Skagit flooding the area of their RV park.
I wish they would have done more research before buying the parcel they're parked on...bet it floods every fall.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Hello

I am coming to visit Seattle for the first time in the beginning of April and will be seeing a Kraken game and a Mariners game while I am in town.

Was hoping for some advice about where I should stay hotel/Airbnb in terms of neighborhood - would it better to stay near the arena or would there be a neighborhood that would be better to stay around?

Feel free to PM is preferred but looking for some tips. Appreciate the help in advance

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
You could stay near the arena, but staying near Westlake Center is a great plan if money isn’t a concern. You can take the Monorail to the Kraken game which is an experience unto itself, and Link light rail to the Mariners and other Seattle attractions. It’s where the central transit hub is. Not being from Seattle, but having stayed in hotels countless times all over the city, that area (within 10 blocks) was by far the most convenient and easily the most enjoyable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad