Kraken News

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
You obviously didn't read the Wiki excerpt on Keenan. Babcock, Hitchcock, Torts, Bowman and all of the other successful coaches were extremely selfish guys, so I think your take on what it takes to be an NHL coach is wrong anyways.

Taguay had a career 18.6 SH%, and if there's anything the Wings need help on is PP and shooting in general. It's the right fit, and considering Yzerman played against Tanguay, I'll trust his judgement over yours.
You're also talking about coaches from other eras, and Babcock whose been forced out. Tanguay is a guy that stopped trying on 2 different teams (he publicly admitted quitting on Tampa, and then he quit on the Flames after Iginla was traded) and would sit in his stall and cry after losses (according to Robyn Regehr). If things don't go his way, he'll stop trying as a coach too, it's the kind of person he is.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
You're also talking about coaches from other eras, and Babcock whose been forced out. Tanguay is a guy that stopped trying on 2 different teams (he publicly admitted quitting on Tampa, and then he quit on the Flames after Iginla was traded) and would sit in his stall and cry after losses (according to Robyn Regehr). If things don't go his way, he'll stop trying as a coach too, it's the kind of person he is.
Cooper's from a different mold, but guys like Laviolette, Q, and Trotz are from the old school mold. There are very few player's coaches that have won the cup. Probably a handful, and they won on a ridiculous amount of talent like Cooper. Coaches by nature have to be selfish, they can't let superstars do whatever they want if the team wants to win the Cup.

Regardless, Tanguay is an assistant coach who knows he's going to a crap team. What exactly is he going to give up on? He's there to teach kids some skills and PP tactics. The only way he quits is if he doesn't get along with Blash, in which case he'd need to leave anyways. As an assistant on a cellar team, it's low risk. He can't be any worse than Disco Dan.

I've already said he wouldn't make for a good head coach. I'd be more concerned about micromanaging than him quitting on the team. And I'd rather have a talented guy with some personality issues than a 4th line plug coaching the PP. Speaking of which, I wouldn't be surprised if the Krakens have PP issues.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Anyone planning to attend the draft party in Spokane, at The Hub Tavern?

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Well, all They need is a bar or two for this event. I know a couple good hockey bars down in Portland. With all the focus on Anchorage and literally none on Portland, it is very peculiar.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Well, all They need is a bar or two for this event. I know a couple good hockey bars down in Portland. With all the focus on Anchorage and literally none on Portland, it is very peculiar.
What focus? 3 bars outside of Seattle, only 2 outside of Seattle metro area, Spokane and Anchorage. That's not "focus", that's laziness. They didn't bother to call bars in other towns. They probably put a staffer in charge of the event and he/she just called bars that he/she has connections with. Maybe that person vacationed in Anchorage and knows the owner.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
What focus? 3 bars outside of Seattle, only 2 outside of Seattle metro area, Spokane and Anchorage. That's not "focus", that's laziness. They didn't bother to call bars in other towns. They probably put a staffer in charge of the event and he/she just called bars that he/she has connections with. Maybe that person vacationed in Anchorage and knows the owner.

They have been doing LOADS of community outreach in Alaska and putting money into their local hockey programs, holding community events, etc. A lot of effort actually. Spokane gets a pre-season game and a place to watch the expansion draft. That's something for sure. Portland has nothing, Vancouver, WA, a city only slightly smaller than Spokane and closer within the same state has had nothing. Makes me wonder why.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
They have been doing LOADS of community outreach in Alaska and putting money into their local hockey programs, holding community events, etc. A lot of effort actually. Spokane gets a pre-season game and a place to watch the expansion draft. That's something for sure. Portland has nothing, Vancouver, WA, a city only slightly smaller than Spokane and closer within the same state has had nothing. Makes me wonder why.

I understand them not doing things outside WA but does seem like they could have done more within the state. I wonder if they kept things in a low-scale because of COVID related worries.

Lynnwood/Bothell/Everett could certainly have done more. The Silvertips have a decent following and the Everett area has bars where they could have done more.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Everett got a Pre-season game. That'll go a long ways. I think they dropped the ball with Vancouver, which I can speak to directly, being about 20 miles west of there. Lots of Kraken shirts and hats seen around, but not really anything from the team. I'm just surprised with what I see in Anchorage. They have really thrown all their non-Seattle eggs into that one basket. I mean, if they aren't considering Portland part of their area (which it is from a television standpoint), then Anchorage is the 2nd largest city in their area, followed by Spokane at 3rd. So maybe it could make sense... but not having Portland in the team's area (whatever the hell that's called) seems completely nuts to me, unless they know something we don't about possible future league expansion.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I hope they'll make this a tradition to travel around the state + Oregon/Alaska during preseason.

Maybe they just wanted to start out with those three games being "close" to Seattle/within the State and will go elsewhere in the future.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I hope they'll make this a tradition to travel around the state + Oregon/Alaska during preseason.

Maybe they just wanted to start out with those three games being "close" to Seattle/within the State and will go elsewhere in the future.

With the pre-season games being as part of season tickets i doubt it. Unless they change that.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
They probably figure anyone in western Washington is a captive audience. They really don't need to persuade anyone from Vancouver WA. Who are you going to root for, the Sharks? (lol) Meanwhile, Alaska can choose from Vancouver, Calgary, or Edmonton.

I'm a bit surprised they haven't done anything to draw from the Canucks fan base in the north, I guess Bellingham is too small for them to care. But then, how hard is it to call a bar and arrange a draft party? Seems a bit lazy if you ask me, but then again they've already sold out so they probably don't care.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Frankly, the Sharks are definitely the popular team in SW WA. Probably half the guys I play with are Sharks fans. Haven’t played since Covid so I don’t know where they stand with Seattle. I hope their on board. I’d just like to see the team put some effort down here to make new hockey fans. That’s something that is lacking.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
They probably figure anyone in western Washington is a captive audience. They really don't need to persuade anyone from Vancouver WA. Who are you going to root for, the Sharks? (lol) Meanwhile, Alaska can choose from Vancouver, Calgary, or Edmonton.

I'm a bit surprised they haven't done anything to draw from the Canucks fan base in the north, I guess Bellingham is too small for them to care. But then, how hard is it to call a bar and arrange a draft party? Seems a bit lazy if you ask me, but then again they've already sold out so they probably don't care.
Alaska's a toss up because it's closer to Vancouver Canucks but it's Canadian team. Seattle is slightly farther but it's American team plus already have own teams from past they have cheered for. So the loyalty factor and closeness comes into play. The big factor Seattle have is they have connection to Alaska Airlines and maybe can give better deals for flying into. The other big factor for Alaska is if they can get to watch Seattle games on tv. If they are covered for all the games the fan base will be there.

Last edited:

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Kraken games will be on Alaska TV. Same with Oregon and supposedly northern Idaho. Apparently Southern ID belongs to Vegas. That's been announced already.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Will the EX draft be on tv at all on Wednesday? Im in the midwest and would to be able to watch it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad