Confirmed with Link: Karlsson(1.5 retained), Hamaliuk, 2026 3rd for Granlund, Hoffman, Rutta and Pens 2024 1st(top-10 protected)

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Physical bottom pair D always return inflated value at the deadline

Simek's one question mark is health, if he's unavailable he won't get moved, but outside of height he's the exact archetype that GMs fetishize over, he's a natural add at the TDL in the mind of the old-timey hockey guys that run these teams
I don't buy it. Grier would have moved Simek for future considerations by now if he had any value whatsoever around the league. Sure teams will have more cap space at the deadline but they're unlikely to spend it on Radim Simek. Maybe if he was 4 inches taller or had any sort of track record.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
R
I don't buy it. Grier would have moved Simek for future considerations by now if he had any value whatsoever around the league. Sure teams will have more cap space at the deadline but they're unlikely to spend it on Radim Simek. Maybe if he was 4 inches taller or had any sort of track record.
Rentals have a lot more value on an expiring contract when they present injury risks like Simek, he will have more value this year than he did last year

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
If there's one thing Doug never got enough criticism for it was how often he let valuable UFAs walk for nothing instead of trading them for value, he bled a lot of assets

Nabokov
Boyle
Marleau
Pavelski
Thornton

He didn't get anything for any of those guys

Grier has proven to be more proactive in this regard, I think he'll continue to do the right thing here
The GM calculus is a lot different when a team has zero play-off expectations - not really a fair comparison because the teams under Wilson and Grier had such vastly different competitive situations.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Rentals have a lot more value on an expiring contract when they present injury risks like Simek, he will have more value this year than he did last year
Maybe. Certainly, teams value size and physical ability when it comes to depth defenseman. But...Simek might not even be an NHL defenseman anymore. Teams will give a late pick for a #7-8 guy, but Simek might be even worse than that

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
R

Unless we're retaining 50% on Simek, we're probably not getting anything for him and even then I think we'd be lucky to get a 5th. Megna was a healthy cheap version of what you're talking about with an extra year landing a 4th that ended up being a healthy scratch depth piece for them. I think we'd be better off eating Simek's contract until it expires unless someone wants to send us a 7th rounder unretained with cap dumps coming back because we could facilitate a trade with our last retention slot for a 4th round pick or retain on Duclair or Barabanov that could push their value from a 3rd to a 2nd. I'd rather do that then worry about a 5th-7th round pick that a retained Simek may return.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Unless we're retaining 50% on Simek, we're probably not getting anything for him and even then I think we'd be lucky to get a 5th. Megna was a healthy cheap version of what you're talking about with an extra year landing a 4th that ended up being a healthy scratch depth piece for them. I think we'd be better off eating Simek's contract until it expires unless someone wants to send us a 7th rounder unretained with cap dumps coming back because we could facilitate a trade with our last retention slot for a 4th round pick or retain on Duclair or Barabanov that could push their value from a 3rd to a 2nd. I'd rather do that then worry about a 5th-7th round pick that a retained Simek may return.
We’ll probably get something along the lines of the Nieto trade in a reclamation project or an underwhelming prospect.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
We’ll probably get something along the lines of the Nieto trade in a reclamation project or an underwhelming prospect.
If it's an Andreas Johnsson type that expires at the end of the year as well, that's fine but it's hard to imagine Simek staying healthy enough through a season to even get traded. We'll see.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay

I think you guys are optimistic that there is a market for Simek. He was a nice find as an undrafted euro free agent for a team that was spending draft capital chasing the Cup with a barren prospect pool. I’m pretty sure 30 year old career -41 dmen who put up 0.14p/gm and only suit up for 50% of available games is the definition of replacement level.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I think you guys are optimistic that there is a market for Simek. He was a nice find as an undrafted euro free agent for a team that was spending draft capital chasing the Cup with a barren prospect pool. I’m pretty sure 30 year old career -41 dmen who put up 0.14p/gm and only suit up for 50% of available games is the definition of replacement level.
Simek is below replacement level - even when healthy, the only think he can do decently well is hit guys trying to cross the blue line, but he's slow so he can only do that so often. He's a black hole when it comes to anything else.

I still think we should have just bought him out to rid ourselves of a contract and opened up playing time for people with a future. Simek doesn't have a future in the NHL.

It's sad, because he could have been pretty good (not special, but a reasonable bottom pair option), but that knee injury in 2019 wrecked his potential and then the team collapsed and he got four years because we needed a defenseman to expose to Seattle.

Reactions: Sandisfan

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
Simek is below replacement level - even when healthy, the only think he can do decently well is hit guys trying to cross the blue line, but he's slow so he can only do that so often. He's a black hole when it comes to anything else.

I still think we should have just bought him out to rid ourselves of a contract and opened up playing time for people with a future. Simek doesn't have a future in the NHL.

It's sad, because he could have been pretty good (not special, but a reasonable bottom pair option), but that knee injury in 2019 wrecked his potential and then the team collapsed and he got four years because we needed a defenseman to expose to Seattle.
Why buy him out? What would the Sharks do with another contract slot? Also if players with a future can’t beat out Simik on merit why should the team make a spot for them right now. He’s literally the lowest bar to clear. Just ride out the contract for the season, waive him and send him to the Cuda if they need his roster spot, and then be done with it.

I swear half of this rebuild is just waiting for the clock to tick. Not every thing needs to be dealt with immediately - plenty of things, like Simik’s contract, just need to run their course.

Cas

Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Why buy him out? What would the Sharks do with another contract slot? Also if players with a future can’t beat out Simik on merit why should the team make a spot for them right now. He’s literally the lowest bar to clear. Just ride out the contract for the season, waive him and send him to the Cuda if they need his roster spot, and then be done with it.

I swear half of this rebuild is just waiting for the clock to tick. Not every thing needs to be dealt with immediately - plenty of things, like Simik’s contract, just need to run their course.
You save $650,000 in cash and have a slot open for one of Thrun/Okhotiuk/Gawanke/Pulli/Mukhamadullin. Right now, we have ten defensemen who require passing through waivers, six of whom I am certain will be on the roster (Vlasic, Ferraro, Rutta, Knyzhov, Benning, Burroughs), plus Simek.

It's not going to happen now, obviously, and it's not a big deal, that's just what I would have done.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
You save $650,000 in cash and have a slot open for one of Thrun/Okhotiuk/Gawanke/Pulli/Mukhamadullin. Right now, we have ten defensemen who require passing through waivers, six of whom I am certain will be on the roster (Vlasic, Ferraro, Rutta, Knyzhov, Benning, Burroughs), plus Simek.

It's not going to happen now, obviously, and it's not a big deal, that's just what I would have done.

I’ll be honest, with the exception of Knyzhov and Ferraro (I don’t know enough about Burrows to have an opinion) I’d be totally comfortable waiving and demoting to the Cuda whomever is playing the worst from the guys you named if any of Thrun, Ohkhotiuk, Gawanke, Pulli, or Mukh forced their way on to their NHL roster because of their play. Like, if any team put in a claim, which they wouldn’t, they’d be doing the Sharks a favor.

Cas

Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I’ll be honest, with the exception of Knyzhov and Ferraro (I don’t know enough about Burrows to have an opinion) I’d be totally comfortable waiving and demoting to the Cuda whomever is playing the worst from the guys you named if any of Thrun, Ohkhotiuk, Gawanke, Pulli, or Mukh forced their way on to their NHL roster because of their play. Like, if any team put in a claim, which they wouldn’t, they’d be doing the Sharks a favor.
Oh I would too, they're all 7-8D, if not worse (so is Burroughs), maybe a 6D, but we know that won't happen with Vlasic or Benning (he's our new PP1 guy!) or likely Rutta. It just seems pointless carrying ten different 6-8D.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

I mean you can waive Simek as well to open up that spot and save 1.1ish or something like that. If he gets claimed then you save his whole cap hit, if not you still save his whole cap hit next year (basically). Personally I don’t think SJ should buy out anyone for the next few years until they actually need the the cap space.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
I mean you can waive Simek as well to open up that spot and save 1.1ish or something like that. If he gets claimed then you save his whole cap hit, if not you still save his whole cap hit next year (basically). Personally I don’t think SJ should buy out anyone for the next few years until they actually need the the cap space.
I agree. The only way the sharks can spend to the cap in the next two seasons would probably involve being irresponsible with spending.

They have 36 Million in space with only 9 players to sign. No notable UFA or RFA’s to sign. That is not even accounting for expected 4 million increase in the cap.

They could sign Matthews to a $15 million per year contract and still have tons of cap space.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ

We don't need to be opening up any slots for young players right now, especially on D

The point of getting these stop gap veterans is to protect our young players from being over exposed on a terrible NHL team

If none of those guys can legitimately steal a spot on this awful D core then they belong on the Barracuda, I don't want to he icing young players just for the sake of doing so

Same goes for any of our forwards, I don't want Bordeleau to be gifted a spot just because "it's time", he needs to earn that roster spot through legit competition

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
How about we have a good group of defenseman on the Cuda for maybe the first time ever. Having a good AHL team that goes deep into the playoffs seems like part of a good development strategy to me.
That was supposed to be last seasons plans, was told how deep and scary the CUDA were going to be last year.

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
That was supposed to be last seasons plans, was told how deep and scary the CUDA were going to be last year.
1692544849708.png

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
That was amazing and the loudest sustained cheering in the tank, I think until Donskoi's SCF OT goal

I got to see them beat the Red Wings in round 2 live, when Datsyuk scored that insane backhand goal. That was a REALLY fun game, definitely top 3 experiences. It was insane at the Tank.

The Vegas win I saw on tv having just put my infant daughter to bed. I had to silently scream after every goal, my wife thought I had gone insane.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
I got to see them beat the Red Wings in round 2 live, when Datsyuk scored that insane backhand goal. That was a REALLY fun game, definitely top 3 experiences. It was insane at the Tank.

The Vegas win I saw on tv having just put my infant daughter to bed. I had to silently scream after every goal, my wife thought I had gone insane.
I had just put my son to bed to start the 3rd and then kept going in after each goal to tell him they scored.

Damn I miss playoff hockey.

Mar 12, 2008
SF Bay Area
I never hugged so many strangers during and after that game. It was crazy after the first goal, then the increase of sound after the second, then the third and finally #4 in such a short amount of time. Just like the PK against EDM all those yrs ago. Just loud. But then Goodie created chaos and that's how I remember the last time the Sharks were in the playoffs. Don't remember a thing about the next round

Shark Finn

∀dministrator
Jan 5, 2012
Herwood
I never hugged so many strangers during and after that game. It was crazy after the first goal, then the increase of sound after the second, then the third and finally #4 in such a short amount of time. Just like the PK against EDM all those yrs ago. Just loud. But then Goodie created chaos and that's how I remember the last time the Sharks were in the playoffs. Don't remember a thing about the next round
That first round was so exhausting for me mentally. Next thing I recall clearly is them getting eliminated in the Conference Finals.

Reactions: 209

Brent Burns

“”“Re-tooling on the fly”””
Feb 7, 2007
SAME! Mother’s Day with mom, our first game at the tank, absolutely amazing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad