Value of: Kaliyev to Pittsburgh

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I've seen quite a few articles (of varying credibility) suggesting potential interest from the Penguins in Kaliyev.

It would be a logical target for the Penguins who need to get younger and could use a bit more skill up front.

My problem is, I can't quite figure out what the Penguins would offer or what Kaliyev's value would really be. Penguins gave up their 1st to SJS this year and don't have a second but they have a few assets from the Guentzel trade in addition to a pick or two.

What might LA want from the Penguins?

Reactions: kinghock

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Aside from a pick, the Kings could also use a puck moving LHD prospect who is a year or so away from the NHL or a physical 4th line winger.

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
Kaliyev for a 2nd. Or Kaliyev and Gavrikov for O’Connor and ? What does Pittsburgh need?
They don't need gavrikov and don't need to trade O'Connor that's for sure. They are actually trying to improve their roster

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
The pens should not be over paying for a slow, one dimensional, soft, under performing player who just got called out by his head coach for disappearing in the second half of the season and the first round of the playoffs.

He might not even get resigned by L.A because he is practically waiver fodder for them at this point.
He had what two points after December 1st?

dabeechman

Sep 12, 2006
I don't care who your team is. Every team would want a Gavrikov, especially a team looking to get back into the post season.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
The pens should not be over paying for a slow, one dimensional, soft, under performing player who just got called out by his head coach for disappearing in the second half of the season and the first round of the playoffs.

He might not even get resigned by L.A because he is practically waiver fodder for them at this point.
I mean hey what you described is Dubas' favorite type of player

FrozenKing18

Goongala! Goongala!
Aug 11, 2009
SoCal

Yes, he disappeared because he wasn’t on the ice at all. They never played him.

Reactions: go4hockey

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

I would suggest what the Penguins need most is a high-skill guy with a good shot. They have too many "jack of all trades/non-one-dimensional" types with little higher end skill...and look how we've been doing.

Sprong would be ideal as would Kaliyev. The team has shown the ability to generate offense and shots. They need 1-2 skill guys to bury the chances.
Yes, he disappeared because he wasn’t on the ice at all. They never played him.
Speculation as to why? I mean, if it's a justifiable effort issue, it's fair. But we've certainly see players get into the doghouse and never get the chance to get back out.

One thing that wasn't really answered is value. Penguins have 2 2nds in the upcoming draft. Would the Pens 2nd do it? Or would it be better to take player swaps like Acciari or POJ?

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
I would suggest what the Penguins need most is a high-skill guy with a good shot. They have too many "jack of all trades/non-one-dimensional" types with little higher end skill...and look how we've been doing.

Sprong would be ideal as would Kaliyev. The team has shown the ability to generate offense and shots. They need 1-2 skill guys to bury the chances.

Speculation as to why? I mean, if it's a justifiable effort issue, it's fair. But we've certainly see players get into the doghouse and never get the chance to get back out.

One thing that wasn't really answered is value. Penguins have 2 2nds in the upcoming draft. Would the Pens 2nd do it? Or would it be better to take player swaps like Acciari or POJ?
I think Pens 2nd will do it.
There is no need for either of Acciari or POJ in LA.

FrozenKing18

Goongala! Goongala!
Aug 11, 2009
SoCal

Your guess is as good as good as mine. Some Kings fans might disagree, but kid never really got a fair shot. A sniper stuck in the bottom lines to be a grinder, no PP time. I thought he paid his dues scoring 13 with limited minutes in the bottom lines last year. He did what he was asked to do.

gdsmack267

Sep 11, 2010
Rochester, NY
I've seen quite a few articles (of varying credibility) suggesting potential interest from the Penguins in Kaliyev.

It would be a logical target for the Penguins who need to get younger and could use a bit more skill up front.

My problem is, I can't quite figure out what the Penguins would offer or what Kaliyev's value would really be. Penguins gave up their 1st to SJS this year and don't have a second but they have a few assets from the Guentzel trade in addition to a pick or two.

What might LA want from the Penguins?
What do you mean by pens dont have a 2nd? They own the 44th and 46 overall pick this draft.

They dont have a 2025 2nd

Reactions: SEALBound

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
A 2nd for Kayliev is such bad value for PIT lol

Kayliev is probably a waiver claim soon.
I do not believe that your estimation of Kaliev value is close to reality.
I think majority of NHL teams have some interest in him today.
Last year people like you were saying that Walker and Durzi do not have any value.
How about their value today?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I do not believe that your estimation of Kaliev value is close to reality.
I think majority of NHL teams have some interest in him today.
Last year people like you were saying that Walker and Durzi do not have any value.
How about their value today?

Walker was a throw in for Philly in a trade.

Durzi got a 2nd.

Kaliyev is a 30 point player through nearly 200 NHL games that isn't a great skater and has a skill set suited for a top six role. Don't see it.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Kings fans overrating their players on the main boards, a tale as old as time. Zero teams are paying a 2nd rounder for Kaliyev right now :laugh:

POJ for Kaliyev is pretty reasonable on paper, both are struggling young guys that are borderline waiver wire candidates at this point. I have no clue if that fills a need for the Kings, but that's a lot closer to reality than any team paying a 2nd for Kaliyev at this point.

Kaliyev is comparable to Daniel Sprong, who cleared waivers at age 22 and was never traded for anything worthwhile after that.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Walker was a throw in for Philly in a trade.

Durzi got a 2nd.

Kaliyev is a 30 point player through nearly 200 NHL games that isn't a great skater and has a skill set suited for a top six role. Don't see it.
While, at the same time, people on the Pens board are super happy with Puustinen...

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
They don't need gavrikov and don't need to trade O'Connor that's for sure. They are actually trying to improve their roster
What about a hug? Everybody could use a hug

1715969350214.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad