Value of: John Tavares (post July 1st) with 2-3M retained

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Who plays 2c IF the Leafs move him?
Max Domi was good as a center in the playoffs. A decent amount of Leafs fans want Treliving to offer him 4 or 5 years and see if he'll take a lower cap hit to play for his hometown team. If we end up developing a 2C later on, we can move Domi to the wing. Tavares also played a bit of LW in the last 1.5 years. We could even keep Tavares, sign Domi, and put Domi at C with Tavares at LW, if we wanted to.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
SJ, Utah, Chicago, Anaheim are teams I can see doing this.

They could easily eat another 50% of his salary and flip him for a 1st + at the deadline.

Posters on Hfboards don't have any interest in helping the Leafs though, for whatever reason

Call me crazy...but as a guy with 3 very young kids, I don't think he'd be "into" the concept of going somewhere for the first 5 months of the season, then in turn going elsewhere at the deadline.

I'd imagine his top preference is to come to an agreement with the Leafs to remain in Toronto on a substantially reduced cap hit, and likely continue to hold a full NMC.

If that isn't in the cards, the next most logical guess would be that he finds a team that wants to extend him with an NMC, and a chance to win the cup.

You'd then likely need to find a 3rd party team to do the retention for this year on a paper transaction.

All-in-all, far from an easy deal to do.

There should be a "positive value" from what a contender would pay for Tavares at $5.5m versus what it would cost a rebuilder to take on his cap hit for the year, but it's probably not huge, and I would hope / imagine that JT would take less from Toronto than he'd take anywhere else at this point in his career.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
I don’t get why he waives when he has a NMC specifically because he took a discount to play in his hometown.

Ledge And Dairy

Good offensive player, a ton of defensive brain farts and has missed a lot of games recently. He was an absolute no show in the playoffs. He's probably gonna want 8-9 a year on his (probably) last contract after being underpaid for his career and with Hanifin signed now longterm and Petro with a NMC and 8.8 per, it's a hard thing to justify.
So basically your view of him is exactly how Marner is viewed but one plays defense and the other plays wing?

He had 20 of his points on PP. Shea is sort of an enigma at this stage and he's gonna want a boatload of money following this next season.

Hertl isn't really a C anymore and I doubt Stephenson comes back. I like Karlsson but he seems like an idea fit for 3C at this point.

I'm not saying it's logical, I'm just saying JT seems like the type of guy Vegas would bring in and it wouldn't cost much of anything from their already depleted prospect/pick pool.
He did only have 20 points on the PP this year, but he only had 35 points at 5v5 too. Last year he had 39 of he 80 points on the power play though.

What do you mean Hertl isn't really a C anymore? That's literally the only position he's played for years now.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
So basically your view of him is exactly how Marner is viewed but one plays defense and the other plays wing?

He did only have 20 points on the PP this year, but he only had 35 points at 5v5 too. Last year he had 39 of he 80 points on the power play though.

What do you mean Hertl isn't really a C anymore? That's literally the only position he's played for years now.
I think Cassidy is going to start pivoting him more to LW, something he tried this year when he played with Eichel. I think he's gonna really slow down to the point where I think they'll find another 2C and use him on the wing. Just my opinion, but he had issues in SJ centering in the last year.

Ledge And Dairy

I think Cassidy is going to start pivoting him more to LW, something he tried this year when he played with Eichel. I think he's gonna really slow down to the point where I think they'll find another 2C and use him on the wing. Just my opinion, but he had issues in SJ centering in the last year.
Highly unlikely. He almost always moved Eichel to the wing if anyone and had Barby or Stephenson play center. Assuming Stephenson walks they will continue to run Barby with Eichel and a 1st line RW (either Marchessault or someone else). In San Jose Hertl hadn't played center since Thornton was a top 6 centers there. When he got moved to Vegas he centered the line with Stone

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I could see Columbus being interested in JT as a stopgap/short term option to supplement Fantilli’s development. Maybe something around Provorov+Elvis as a base to even the salaries out.

The Jackets would be better off just buying out Elvis and trading Provorov for whatever futures.

Tavares is past the stage of helping anyone on the ice. Maybe a good mentor, I don't know. But I think he just gets in the way in Columbus, who are more serious about winning.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Interesting. So not really a top pair anymore? More of an offensive D with defensive liabilities?

Shea's never been a top pair D unless all you do is look at stats. If you do then sure he's still a "top pair D". This year was actually the best year of his career from a PPG standpoint.

He's never killed penalties. Always been soft especially against a heavy forecheck. Doesn't win board battles or clear the net. Never got the toughest matchups unless forced into by injury.

Even before the Hanifin deal he wasn't a guy I want signed 8x8. Now I definitely wouldn't like that contract.

All that said I would have less than zero interest in moving him for JT or Marner.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Tavares for Crosby? Does both players block it with their NMC? I'm assuming Dubois would be after futures if both the team and Crosby agree to move on.

What about Tavares for Bobrovsky? Panthers make a switch and go with Knight in net.

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
Is Tavares buyout not an option? Isn't the penalty only like 300 something k?

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I think he's a fringe top pair. Again, offensively he's fantastic still, but I don't know if he's worth the money he's going to want considering he's almost 30.

I mean, this is exactly what we need. If he has a bomb from the point and can run a PP he fills a massive need for us on the backend.

Is Tavares buyout not an option? Isn't the penalty only like 300 something k?

Why the hell would they buy out Tavares? Leafs do literally nothing his deal is over next season. He is still a high end 2C.

Brad C

Jul 12, 2021
If JT(or any other player) waived his NT to go to another team,does his contract still have a NT with new team.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If JT(or any other player) waived his NT to go to another team,does his contract still have a NT with new team.
Yes, it travels with them. Even RFAs who have signed deals that contain NTC that have not taken effect yet, that trade protection now carries with them vs in the past, the team could opt to not honour it, which they have chosen not to.

But, no reason for JT to accept a trade. He's not getting an 8th year at his age. So, he will play out the contract and if he has to leave he will then do so.

Marner is a little different because he's 28 when his deal is up and getting that 8th year is a signficant amount of money. Josi is making $11 mill more than Pietroangelo because he got the 8th year and $250K more per year as well. When you are 35/36 doubtful you're going to get a 1 year deal to make up that difference.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I mean, this is exactly what we need. If he has a bomb from the point and can run a PP he fills a massive need for us on the backend.
I don't think he' got a huge shot from the point, but he's a very creative player on the backend.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I said after July 1st because his signing bonus will have been paid out by Toronto and thus his actual salary would be 910k.

I think Tavares would likely want to land on a contender which would limit suitors and an 8M cap hit would still be a tough squeeze for some teams.

I think the return wouldn't be all that special but an example would be something like JT, NSH's 5th 2024, OTT's 7th 2024 for Cody Glass and WPG's 2024 2nd to Nashville

Quieter market, ownership would appreciate the low money commitment and they figure to be pushing for a playoff spot again.

He's got a NMC so it could be a tough sell for him but clearly the Leafs are going to change things.

Open to other suggestions or ideas.

Cheers

View attachment 871161
3rd or 4th round pick?

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018

Why the hell would they buy out Tavares? Leafs do literally nothing his deal is over next season. He is still a high end 2C.
High end 2c is laughable 🤣

It would save you almost his entire cap hit. Leafs could get a more appropriately paid 2c and upgrade goaltending/defence/forward depth. The cap savings is quite obviously the reason why you would do it assuming the penalty is low.

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
SJ, Utah, Chicago, Anaheim are teams I can see doing this.

They could easily eat another 50% of his salary and flip him for a 1st + at the deadline.

Posters on Hfboards don't have any interest in helping the Leafs though, for whatever reason

If Tavares agrees to a trade (and that's a huge IF) i don't see him accepting anything but a contender.

moegillknee

Jul 30, 2016
Tavares would want an extension if he was moved ,maybe warm weather like LA.could swap him for PLD.Dubios is owed 11 mill this year if trade happens after signing bonus paid out would save LA owner plenty. JT could sign 3yr deal at less than PLD cap hit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad