Post-Game Talk: Jets 7 - Avs 6, Jets lead series 1-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I'd be a little concerned about putting Schmidt in for Stanley. Stan is in because Schmidt looked awful the last 3 weeks of the season. Last night was tough on all d with crazy for check pressure. Demelo might have been the worst and we aren't talking about pulling him.
100% agree -
I find it a bit strange that we focus on D errors and look for better d options when the issue was the game plan -
If you open it up with Aves, you can expect our D to get caved - and they all did last night.
Bones will recognize this and I'd expect he'll focus on the real issue (game style) and not try to band aid that issue with roster changes.

Grannyjetfan

Dec 19, 2019
Breakdown of the goals against
1. Pionk with a brain dead crossice clear instead of chipping it up the boards into the avs zone and I think he's the one changing afterward... leaving samberg hanging
2. Samberg doesn't clear and then Stan backs into the corner without awareness of the forecheck - samberg makes a bad play but Stan is not moving at all
3. Nino loses the puck at the blue line - bad bounce maybe - helle needs to save this one
4. Powerplay deflection... dont see anyone really at fault
5. Powerplay again - but pionk makes another desperation chaos play instead of sticking to the scheme... he does this all the time - his play means the other jets lose track of the puck
6. Iafallos stick breaks - pionk panics behind the net and rims the puck at 100mph straight to Colorado- jets have no idea where the puck is

Common theme? Bednar can send a hard forecheck in the first and rely on pionk to panic for the rest of the game - leave his wingers tight to the boards
So again this analysis is mostly by PIONK but what amazes me is he is never benched and gets less ice time? Samberg and Stanley get stapled to the bench after they slip up.

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
Fabulous game, but what a toll it takes on the body for those of us who eat more ravenously when stressed. Having great homemade pizza didn't help either. I've got a bloat this morning that matches my aching head as a testament to excess. Good thing I'm staying home today because I'd never fit into any of my jeans and all of my leggings would be torturous.

If tomorrow night's game is anything like the first one, I'll need a whole new wardrobe!

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
100% agree -
I find it a bit strange that we focus on D errors and look for better d options when the issue was the game plan -
If you open it up with Aves, you can expect our D to get caved - and they all did last night.
Bones will recognize this and I'd expect he'll focus on the real issue (game style) and not try to band aid that issue with roster changes.
The problem with the defense was moving the puck out of the d zone. Avs were forechecking and other than Josh no defense men can carry the puck and get by that first forechecker. If they could there were be lots of open ice.
Ehlers and Connor were doing in the o zone … making that first Avs player miss and creating good scoring chances.
Avs game plan of pressuring the puck carriers and getting into the Jets passing lanes almost worked that’s why getting by that first Avs player is so important.
Schmidt is a better puck carrier that Stanley so I can see that change next game.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Still can't believe this hit both posts and still went in.

439831671_739252355049599_4743774936414278640_n.jpg

If the puck had stayed flat it would have been no goal. Only counted because the puck ended up on edge.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
100% agree -

I'm not a big 88 fan, but for me the calculation isn't just the band-aid fix where Stan is out and a vet is in, but also about Samberg's being able to play on his natural side. The latter helps with Bones' aim to have quick, simple zone exits to mobile forward options to help maintain control of NZ ice and close gaps, tightening up puck management and slowing down as much as possible that lethal counter and forecheck the Avs seem to rely on.

If there was ever a series where the Jets want to play straightforward, economical and disciplined possession hockey, this seems to be it.

So while I agree that there isn't a perfect solution, I think you go with the option that hurts least whilst optimizing the system that serves the team best. Haven't seen much of Miller outside of his spot duty this season but he came with a rep for being a dependable 3rd-pairing D who can wire it -- that seems to be all that's needed.

The bet would be that Miller/ Schmidt + Samberg on the left offers more overall than Stan + Samberg on the right. My fear is that we'll see StanBerg still more exposed as the series develops, esp as COL gets home ice.

But sure, the whole team buying in like they should without being tempted into a track race is the main thing.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
At this point I think we are getting more bang for our buck from Monahan than Toffoli. If we keep winning I sure the lineup stays the same unless Barron is cleared to play later in the series.

What happened to Barron. My memory deserted me.

Agree on Monahan & Toffoli.
But I think there has to be at least 1 lineup change. Stan was exposed by the speed. He got the least TOI among Jets D. I'd go back to Samberg - Schmidt, or Miller.

Reactions: bustamente

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
IMO Stanley out for Schmidt, play Samberg/Schmidt. They have been very good together by the numbers at least.

Gotta do something about the PK or we just can't take penalties. The avs PP dominated, our penalty kill is just so bad. Reminds me of the Maurice passive PK we ran for years, don't understand why we are doing it. It's a shooting gallery and with the talent the Avs have you can't just let them have the puck in our end the entire penalty.

The worst part of Stan/Samberg pairing isn't even Stan. It is that it forces Samberg on his off hand, whereas he has been fantastic on the natural side all season.

PK is bad but I don't expect many changes. The PK at this point has to be make the cross sign, say inshallah, pray to the buddah and hope Helle bails you out. The time to make systemic changes to the PK was months ago. Right now we are stuck with what we have. Even if we try to stay out of the box the Jets are gonna be on the PK minimum 2-3 times a game just due to the refs wanting to even up the calls. Gotta just hope that Helle one man shows it in the PK. Good thing... atleast PK is one situation where one guy can have an outsized impact.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I'm not a big 88 fan, but for me the calculation isn't just the band-aid fix where Stan is out and a vet is in, but also about Samberg's being able to play on his natural side. The latter helps with Bones' aim to have quick, simple zone exits to mobile forward options to help maintain control of NZ ice and close gaps, tightening up puck management and slowing down as much as possible that lethal counter and forecheck the Avs seem to rely on.

If there was ever a series where the Jets want to play straightforward, economical and disciplined possession hockey, this seems to be it.

So while I agree that there isn't a perfect solution, I think you go with the option that hurts least whilst optimizing the system that serves the team best. Haven't seen much of Miller outside of his spot duty this season but he came with a rep for being a dependable 3rd-pairing D who can wire it -- that seems to be all that's needed.

The bet would be that Miller/ Schmidt + Samberg on the left offers more overall than Stan + Samberg on the right. My fear is that we'll see StanBerg still more exposed as the series develops, esp as COL gets home ice.

But sure, the whole team buying in like they should without being tempted into a track race is the main thing.
Good points - but I honestly don't think Bones will be looking at roster changes - he'll focus on game style changes that will allow them to leave the roster as it is. If the major issue (game plan) is impacting the effectiveness of your D, deal with the major issue - not the result of the major issue.
I think Bones wants to be able to slow down that Aves cycle - and Smitty won't be a factor in that. It might help Samberg but they'll target Smitty and that will be a bigger problem than Samberg playing is off side (IMO).
I think this series is going to get very physical - especially if we move to a more defensive system - and Smitty will be a major problem if that happens. I don't think he can play PO hockey at this point in his career - he's too slow and too soft.
But, who knows - maybe Bones wants to change things up a bit - but I just don't see it happening.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Colorado has such a fast forecheck that while Stanley might offer more in the physicality department. Miller might just be the better option because of his handedness. Every decision needs to be split second and quick against the Avs forecheck. They were on our D like a duck on a maple bug.

I honestly don't remember the Avs forecheck being this high pressure in any of our previous meetings. They really seem to have flipped a switch.

Reactions: Jets 31

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
I dont often agree with you but you nailed it. The Jets d core overall is capable but not elite at evasion and zone exits (passing/ clearing). Jomo is our only guy who can consistently snuff out pressure alone.

The reason the Jets have so much success is F support in all three zones, be it coming back deeper for a clean 5 foot pass, supporting the puck carrier through the neutral zone or backing up the D pinching down the wall or at both blue lines.

We had a lot of guys looking for man advantage breaks, or, fearing the Avs speed Avs speed and we were too spread out.

I hope the boys realize just how lucky we were to win that game, and trust that the system is the way to win consistently against the avs.

Scoring the first goal will be key tomorrow, hopefully allowing us to settle in.
Exactly: having that F support is key to both clogging up the NZ to prevent COL's speed and to continue allowing the Jets own defencemen to pinch in. It's just that they don't have to get pretty with it: if the defence pinches, trust the plan that they'll chip it behind the COL's goaltender and grind it out - don't let the COL build speed in their own exits; force them to go East-West, not North-South. And then on WPG's own exits, present options and be ready for one-touch passes out of the DZ: COL knew their forechecker will just force WPG to dump it out and their wingers were constantly getting pucks back along the boards.

Although it's obviously hard to prevent MacKinnon's acceleration like this, but that's just how quick the Avs can turn their defence into offence.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I don’t know if I can take another game like that. That was intense! Not to mention that I got up to get a beer, came back and the score was wrong on the screen and I wondered how I managed to miss two goals (one by each team) in a couple of minutes.

I think the Avs forechecking surprised our D. They weren’t hustling fast enough to a puck or making quick enough decisions.

Looking forward to Bones settling them down and playing our game again.

Reactions: Inanna

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
View attachment 857205
What would be score if Jets put some more shots on goal 🥅
That’s what we need to see next game.
Go Jets Go!

Sure, try to take advantage of their goaltending. But that is not the Jets game. If they get that into their heads Avs win. We can't keep allowing 46 shots per game. We can't keep being outshot 2-1.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Colorado has such a fast forecheck that while Stanley might offer more in the physicality department. Miller might just be the better option because of his handedness. Every decision needs to be split second and quick against the Avs forecheck. They were on our D like a duck on a maple bug.

I honestly don't remember the Avs forecheck being this high pressure in any of our previous meetings. They really seem to have flipped a switch.
They were flying out there. We're lucky we held them off for as long as we did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad